Author Topic: Building up my RST  (Read 4771 times)

phopwood

Building up my RST
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »
Hi,

I have just took delivery of a new blue RST frame, so here are some pictures of the build, please excuse the state of the garden it is odd how the camera picks up the clutter.

The frame with the forks attached and ready to be dressed.  I did not have much time today, so did this between everything else that needed doing.

Peter

phopwood

Re: Building up my RST
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:29 pm »
I started with the cables, as I was more or less replacing the frame from my Sherpa I tried to use the same cables, and managed it, all I needed to replace was the outer for the rear brake.  I took the handle bars with the bag off in one piece, just to save the hassle of removing the ortlieb cables etc.

At this point no adjustments have been made just nice and simple attaching parts to the frame.

phopwood

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »
Added some wheels and adjusted the brakes and gears, the steerer tube is still not cut and the chain is still to be installed.  But it looks more like a bike.

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:52:03 pm »
The bike here is in a ride able state, my saddle is attached the chain is installed and the steering tube is cut to size. 

I will take for a quick spin later on.

I am in London for the next two days so the rest will happen at the weekend.  I have a new rim to install on the back wheel, changing from an Andra 30 to a DTswiss 425 which is 300g lighter.  I also need to move across my mudguards and lights.

Stay tuned.

All the best.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 05:38:52 pm »
What a terrific job you've done done documenting the build, Peter; well done! It isn't easy to remember or find time to take photos while building-up a bike and this is great -- thanks so much for sharing your new "baby" with us.

All is looking fantastic!

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:44:47 pm »
Great stuff, looks v sporty without guards and rack! I'm interested to know how you find the ergon bar ends on the comfort bars.  I thought mine were a bit too wide and didn't seem quite the right angle so went for a track bar.

The weight saving on the rim should be significant.

alfie1952

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »
Hi Peter,

What a great job you're doing,( swapping things over) on the build. The RST looks stunning in blue, and I'm  sure you'll be delighted when you're out and about on that beauty. Happy days are here again..... tralalalala. :) :)

Regards Alfie

phopwood

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »
All, Thanks for you kind words.

I'm interested to know how you find the ergon bar ends on the comfort bars.  I thought mine were a bit too wide and didn't seem quite the right angle so went for a track bar.

I have had them for about a month and they are a little wide I keep thinking I should cut the bars down but never seem to get around to it.

Peter

jags

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 10:13:56 pm »
cracking bike for sure and certainly well decked out.
what lighting system are you puttng on her,are you going thorn racks or tubus.cant wait to see the final  finished bike i'm a geek i know but what the hell i love  quality bikes. :)

thanks peter for pic's.

jags.

bikerta

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:23:28 pm »
Love the look of this bike, great colour too. Your pictures make building up a bike so easy. I guess it is much easier when you are just swapping all the parts from one bike and putting them onto another. Maybe one day I will have a go myself. In the meantime I am going to have to learn all the simple mechanics.

Jackie

jags

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 11:21:24 pm »
Jackie there's building bikes and theres building bike properly just like peters above.
but for the ultimate build take a look a Dan's nomad pure perfection not saying that to give him a big head but everyone on the forum would agree.
he comes up with some cracking ideas, and it all looks so so perfect.
man i really hate Dan he needs to be beaten up badly actually i vote we ban him from this forum.

only joking i love the man feckin genius.
seriously take a look at his build.

jags

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:17 am »
Now that's what I call a sparkling blue! Super tutorial progression, Peter.

phopwood

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 08:43:29 pm »
I took her for a quick spin last night only down the road and back.  All seems ok may need to adjust the handlebar hight, they seem a little low.  But Brakes and Gears all work as expected.

Bikes are not mechanically challenging, but very interesting to build up and very rewarding.

My main hobby is restoring and servicing mechanical watches, they are much the same but the set of skills is very different, you are just taking a machine apart, cleaning it and reassembling the mechanism, but on a much smaller scale.

So when I have a 40 year old watch, I need to strip it down to it's component parts, and I take a pictures of every part removed.  The parts are then cleaned and reassembled in reverse order, then oiled (and you think that rohloff oil is expensive).  But some of these components are minute, a simple windup watch may have 4 different screws in it.  Total concentration is required and the world around you stops for a period of time, bliss.

All the best.

Peter

phopwood

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 05:10:54 pm »
All,

I have rebuilt the wheel using the new DTswiss rim, and added the mud guards.  Went for a few small spins and it does feel sportier.  I still need to add my lights, but I do not intend refitting the rack so I need a new rear dynamo light that will fit directly to the guard.

Currently weight is 14.8kg as pictured which is 2 kg lighter than my Sherpa was showing.

I do feel like I am to far forward on the saddle so I might need a set back post.

Peter

alfie1952

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »
Hi Peter,

That is one  beautiful looking bike you've got yourself.

Alfie