Author Topic: Ron'S New Raven  (Read 5951 times)

RonS

Ron'S New Raven
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:16:00 pm »
Here is a pic from the maiden voyage a month ago. Between being busy at work and lousy weather I have only been able to put 250km on it, but I think it's a keeper.

I got in parts and built it up myself, not just for the satisfaction, but I saved about $1000 this way. I should point out that this is not because of SJS's prices. They are very competitive. Most of the money was saved because of the Canadian duty on complete bikes as opposed to parts being duty free, and the shipping cost of a complete bike vs frame only. Both these are beyond the control of SJS.

Here's where the main components came from:

SJS:           Frame (565L) and 853 fork, 38T chainring, cranks, BB, Thorn flat bars and accessory bar.
Starbike:    Rohloff hub, spokes, DT Swiss 425 rim.
Bike 24:     Schwalbe tubes and Marathon Supreme 26X2, Tubus Cargo Evo, B&M taillight
Shimano dynohub was a great find on ebay ($60 CDN, new )
Brooks saddle from existing bike

Although I assembled the bike myself, I was not ready to venture into wheelbuilding. For this I used the services of a local expert, and after watching him in action, I'm glad I did. The finished product was radially and laterally true to .007in, checked with a dial indicator, with even spoke tension checked with a tension gauge. I don't think I could have achieved that on my first kick at the can.

I'll post more pics as I get more proficient at the attachment process. Can I post 5 pics of 512KB "each" in a post or 512KB "total"?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Ron'S New Raven
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:52:48 pm »
Can I post 5 pics of 512KB "each" in a post or 512KB "total"
It's "total", Ron, and that's per-post. As I recall, there's a 5-photo limit per post as well. The solution is to make more posts.  :D

What a lovely bicycle you have! You can surely be proud of your build, and it is simply a glorious, magnificent example. Thanks so much for sharing it here. I for one am very much looking forward to more photos of this beauty, both close-up and in action! May many happy journeys pass beneath your wheels.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 12:54:28 am »
Ron, what great work!  So pleased to see your bike up & running, and to know you're happy with it.  You've done well to keep the cost manageable, helped by things like a bargain dyna-hub.  I'm due to collect mine from my LBS this coming week & will post some photos when it's complete.  I'll finalize a few details on it myself--installing & wiring the headlight, racks fore & aft, etc. Enjoy your bike--hope you get some good weather.

Best,

John

RonS

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:44:39 am »
Thank you for the kind words Dan and John.

I really wanted a go fast red Raven, but, as I already had yellow Arkel panniers, I thought black might be a better colour choice. My daughter the artist said the bike would remind her of a McDonald's Restaurant!
As it turns out, I really like the black, and it's a lot less conspicuous in sketchy areas.

Below is a shot in the back yard with the Arkel kit, using the trusty Zefal HP as a stand. I have since gotten a Clickstand. Brake and gear cables were left long until I decide on use of a handlebar bag.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 02:21:47 am »
It just gets better and better, Ron! The yellow bags look very nice against the black of the frame and nicely match the rack pack in the first photo as well.

It's often agony to decide on color, but the results are always wonderful no matter the choice and yours is no exception. I'd not owned a black bike until Sherpa, then found I liked it so much I repeated it on the Nomad. I enjoy seeing all the other colors as well. I don't think Thorn has a bad one in the lot.

Very wise to leave the cables long till you decide on things -- cutting is always easier than making longer!

Best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:22:15 am »
Ron,

That is a great looking bike I can see you put a lot of effort in to the build.  I like the black, out is the under the radar look.

Peter

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:58 am »
ron beautifull build indeed but are those tyres on the wrong way round :-\

http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon_supreme_home.

more than likely im wrong usually am sorry.

jags.

alfie1952

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:47:14 am »
Congrats on your build, a seriously stunning looking bike.

Regards Alfie

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »
Smart looking bike.
From one Raven nut to another!

Matt

More pictures please. Close ups?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 05:14:18 pm »
Great looking bike, Ron!  Congratulations!

I recognized the mountains in your first photo (Golden Ears Park), and my curiosity got the best of me, so I had to figure out where that picnic site is.  Just north of Allard Crescent, looking across to Maple Ridge?  You have some beautiful riding country out there -- great scenery and relatively flat.

I'll have to take some pictures of my bike and post them here.

- Dave

RonS

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 11:32:37 pm »
I'm going to try adding pics from Photobucket, so it may work. Or not.

Some close ups for Matt. Front rear and cockpit view

Note that the front tire is now "right" way around. Thanks, Jags! A second pair of eyes is a helpful thing.  I probably wouldn't have noticed until my first puncture.

Dave, you are spot on with the location. Please do post photos of your bike.

OK. So what am I doing wrong to make the link to the photo appear instead of the photo itself?

[HTML tags edited by Dan so the photos display properly. -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:23:13 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:21 am »
OK. So what am I doing wrong to make the link to the photo appear instead of the photo itself?
Hi Ron!

The problem came from not linking to the URL for the photo itself.

I'll have to add  space or two so this will appear as plain text rather than a full display, but for example, here is the original:

http ://s986.photobucket.com/user/mrspike222/media/bike2_zpsa459490f.jpg.html

What you need to do is link the photo itself, as here:
http ://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae343/mrspike222/bike2_zpsa459490f.jpg

To get there, just go to your Photobucket account as in the first example, then (if you're using a PC, for other OS's, it is similar) right-click and in the context menu, choose "Copy image URL". This is what you want to paste into the text of your post. Just click the little "Insert Image" icon and paste between the brackets.

If you have any problems, just PM me or give a shout.

Terrific photos, by the way!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 08:19:50 am »
Class bike enjoy . ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:47 am »
I really wanted a go fast red Raven

That black is so elegant. It's a sleeper, suspected of being faster than a red bike, without ever having to prove anything.

And yellow goes superbly with black, but with red the combination is a bit commercial, as your smart daughter spotted.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 12:18:52 pm »
Great pictures.
First of many questions....
Rear guard flap?
Homemade or brand?
Thinking I'd like one. Hard to fit?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink