Author Topic: Thorn City Slicker  (Read 2266 times)

djdstone

Thorn City Slicker
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:03:06 am »
I really like the idea of going for a Rohloff hub for my daily commute to the office. Does anyone have any experience with this particular bike?

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Thorn City Slicker
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:18 am »
I don't have any experience of the City Slicker but I do have lots of experience of commuting with a Rohloff Hub on a Raven Sport Tour.  Without doubt the Rohloff is fantastic in this role. I haven’t done ANY drive stage maintenance in the last 7 months / 2000+ miles. (Other than oil the chain.)  The whole bike has needed hardly anything doing to it - I am sure the City Slicker would be just as reliable and maintains free.

avdave

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 10:28:31 am »
I've just bought the Catalyst for commuting. I did consider the City Slicker but it won't take a proper rack or mudguards. It's basically an Enduro with a rigid forks and narrow tires. It looks good in the flesh but I think the Catalyst is more practical and versitile. I've got the black frame with a the black Rohloff and Son Dynamo hub, carbon post and bars, ceramic rims and the upgrade to LX V brakes. It's only done a couple of hundred miles so far but it's been great and the Rohloff is ideal for commuting. Thorn describe it as the bike that will do virtually anything and I've no reason to disagree.

Swislon

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 10:26:14 am »
avdave, Why did you choose Catalyst over the Sport Tour ?
I am considering one or the other and finding it difficult to make up my mind.
I do not commute as I work from home but am looking for a "jack of all trades", the question is do I want to lean towards more adventurous off road ie a bike that can go mountain biking or towards a winter on road trainer that can do some steady trails etc.
Decisions decisions !
Any input welcome.

avdave

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 06:02:16 pm »
I went for the Catalyst because apart from commuting all my cycling is off road. I also have the option of doing 80% of my commute off road over the South Downs which I sometimes do on my Marin East Peak. If I'd been looking for a bike that would only be used on the road then I would have gone for the Sport Tour. To be honest though I hadn't really made a decision until I went to SJSC and looked at the bikes and talked to Colin who spent 2 hours with me getting everything just right. The real problem is that although I bought the right bike I now want an Enduro as well!