Author Topic: Order placed  (Read 5217 times)

jags

Re: Order placed
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:50 PM »
jacki the sherpa is not a heavy bike the front fork is though but if its gonna carry loaded panniers guess then it has to be.it took me a long time to get used to it to be honest, but i've always been used to riding lightweight road bikes. your gonna love it guaranteed.

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:52:07 PM »
Jackie,

Just to reassure...I really think the Sherpa will do you fine as an all-'rounder. I rode my Mk2 version regularly on unladen 200-300km days and found it lively on pavement with good handling, yet sure-footed on single-track and gravel logging roads, also unladen. Some pics of the typical terrain here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.msg19337#msg19337 ...and in the next couple posts that follow that one. You should have no problem, Jackie, and can surely rest easy knowing it will do you in good stead regardless of conditions.

If you're also riding unladen, then a change of tires can tune the feel of the bike, changing effective trail as well as feel. If you're technically inclined, for more on the possible effects, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4245.0

Your new Sherpa will be ready for anything!

Best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
Oh my god I feel sick   :o   I have just placed the order for my new bike, which should be ready for collection in the first week of May. I have never ever thought of spending that amount of money on a bike, so I hope he is worth it. This bike has got to last me now until I can no longer get my leg over the crossbar (which may not be as far off as you think)

I am sure the bike will be great, but he is not allowed to get dirty, so no wet weather riding or snowy weather riding in case there is any salt on the roads. I will not be able to take him outside in case he gets stolen and no sitting on him in case I mark the lovely shiny paintwork!!

Seriously though, I now feel a little happier about my upcoming trip (which I can't afford to do now) as I was getting very down hearted whenever I tried to get a longer ride in and was coming home so uncomfortable. I now need to sell the Dawes to help pay for the Sherpa, so anybody want a 2012 Dawes Galaxy in British Racing Green - whoops wrong forum.

Hello!
You are getting a great bike. It is not a tank but a lovely lively bike and will carry loads if you want to.
The bike rides really well, enjoy it.
All the best,
John
http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/oldthornbikes

bikerta

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 12:55:15 PM »
Thanks for all the reassurance guys, just had a few nervous moments there. I did loads of research before ordering the Sherpa. I am not necessarily looking for the fastest bike as luckily I don't come from a racing bike background. I just need a bike that will get me there comfortably and give me a lot of fun in the process. One that will be up for the job if I decide to stick to country lanes, canal towpaths, forest trails or at a push a main road wherever the mood takes me though I usually avoid the main roads like the plague.

I can see that one of my first purchases may be a set of tyres that I can change over for mostly road riding and these will probably be the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes 1.6. I ordered the Duremes following advice from SJS and I will see what they are like first before I make my decision. I may well put Supremes on for my training, and then keep the Duremes for the trip so that I have a nearly new set before I leave.

I have just been looking through all your pictures of your Sherpa Dan. My word that is a work of art rather than a bike, absolutely amazing and one that would almost change my mind to go for the black rather than the red. I do like bright colours on a bike and adore the yellow Nomad but can also understand they are more likely to attract attention, some of which would be the unwanted variety.  

janeh

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:12:25 PM »
I really like the Panaracer Pasela tourguard tyres. The 1.5" are quite fast and the 1.75 are a bit more cushioned.

Jane

bikerta

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 09:47:27 PM »
Those are the tyres that come normally with the Sherpa and they are meant to be pretty good road tyres. There have been a few instances I think of the side walls splitting though (presumably heavily laden and ridden off road though)

How are you getting on with your new frame size now?   

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
Many thanks for the kind words, Jackie. May your new Sherpa be everything you hope and wish for -- they're cracking good bikes.

It'll be terrific to see you on roads soon enough, riding your delightful new red one!

Best,

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
Enjoy him/her/it  ;D
Me and my XTC got one pretty quick even though he's a size too big.

Shimano components really are bomb proof, so are Thorn frames.

The only thing you get in bad weather is:

More chaincleaning (esp. salt)
More frame care (Vaseline is a very good cheap way to protect your frame)
More touch up (Bah, stone chips!)
More leather care (Hmmm leather grease)

Re tires: Panaracer Pasela tourguard tyres are very good, but became harder to get now as Panaracer renamed their tires. Schwalbe Marathon are very heavy but absolutely bomb proof. PP are a good compromise. I will be going for Conti City Contact to try.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andybg

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »
I really like my Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar guard which is the standard one rather than the plus. It rolls very well and gives a high level of protection. I also rate the Deluxe version which is supposedly the same protection level as the plus but even lighter than the kevlar guard.

I ran the plus version for about one 40mile ride and thought never again. I feel they make the bike ride like you are riding through sand.

One great thing with the sherpa is the relative inexpence (compared to a rohloff bike) of having multiple sets of wheels with different tyres for different uses. A light set of wheels and tyres really will make your bike feel so much faster and a heavy set of wheels and tyres will make it a bombproof expedition tourer. A thrid set with MTB tyres will give you a go anywhere bike and a 4th set with studded winter tyres will keep you riding throughout winter.

Andy

jags

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »
even better again ::) a nice carbon fork up front with a light set of wheels and kojak slick's  ;)
if i had kept my sherpa there would be a carbon fork on it by now.

jags.