Author Topic: New Sherpa  (Read 1866 times)

bikerta

New Sherpa
« on: April 12, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
After a very enjoyable and informative visit to SJS last week (thank you Steve), I am now on the lookout for a Thorn Sherpa. I have posted an ad in the Wanted section, but I am aware that there is little chance of a 2nd hand bike in my size appearing. It was confirmed at the visit, that I have a short arm measurement and that is why I am struggling with my Dawes Galaxy and it's drop bars. I will unfortunately have to sell my Galaxy and replace it with a better fitting bike. The 500s framed Sherpa is my ideal size and this would be fitted with straight bars and bar ends.

If I were to to bite the bullet and somehow raise the funds to purchase a new Sherpa, are there any must have additions I should be looking at putting on the bike at the time of purchase, or can I just take my time and have everything retro fitted as and when the extra cash comes along. There were so many things I had to try and decide on at the time for Steve to draw up a quote for me. I intended to leave the bike pretty much at the basic spec apart from adding Ergon GP5 grips, a pretty basic set of pedals, brooks b17 saddle and I will needs racks of some sort. Tubus or Thorn racks? Which do people rate and do they fit easily onto the Sherpa.

Also I notice that the Sherpa has now become 10 speed, which I am not too sure about. Does anyone have any experience with 10 speed and are there any benefits/disadvantages over 9 speed. I have been advised Schwalbe Dureme 2.0 tyres which looked huge, but they are meant to run well on tarmac and provide some grip off road. Ultra wide gearing range and of course for me RED.

It is a very exciting time for me, but also a pretty scary thought about handing over such a huge amount of money (to me anyway)  I know I will use the bike a lot including hopefully my JOGLE later this year and I feel that this would be an ideal bike to use as I would not have to worry about taking the bike on towpaths, rough routes etc. Any thoughts from Sherpa users would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Jackie

jags

Re: New Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Jackie  look at it this way what price can you pay for happyness ;D ;D
money is only a tool for buying the things you really want,some if not most people freak out if they have to spend there money where as me it burns a big hole in my pocket when ever i get some.so my advice for what its worth ,is to hell with poverty you'll be dead a long time so go and buy that bike believe me you wont be sorry the sherpa is a cracking bike especally if you fancy doing some  loaded touring its built like a tank.

to be honest i loved it after i got my head round its a touring bike not a lightweight  roadbike which i was used to riding all my life,i hated it on climbs because of the heavy front end, but other than that it was a great bike to ride all day super comfy rolled lovely on schwalble supreams with max pressure.
but at the end of the day its your decision to be either happy or miserable believe me Jackie been there done that many a time,very best of luch i sure hope things work out for you.

jags.

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
I think the Sherpa is a class act and one that will serve you for years to come. Getting the right size frame is by far the most critical part and on top of that all the other parts are upgradable as you go along.

I have no experience of 10 speed drivetrains for touring so I cannot help there. I would be interested to hear other peoples view on  it as I know there was some reticence from some tourers when other manufacturers went to 10 speed.

I would go for it - In a few years the money will be forgotten but the Sherpa will still be going strong.

Andy

Vintagetourer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:42:09 AM »
I bought a Sherpa a few years ago Jackie and went the whole hog straight up rather than gradually upgrade.

One thing to consider though is do you really need a bike as robust as the Sherpa? It really is a bombproof unit, but it is also somewhat truck-like to ride.

I have put my Sherpa through really tough outback tours and it is ideal for these testing conditions. I recommend it unconditionally for big loads on rough tracks.

However, I am now in the process of building up a Thorn Audax for light touring and fast commuting. The Sherpa is just too much bike for riding and tours which are mostly on good roads and with moderate loads. Choose the right horse for the course.

Re tyres. For the Sherpa in really rough stuff, 2.0" Schwalbe Smart Sams are excellent. On seal and good dirt, 1.6" Schwalbe Supremes are quick and durable.
For expeditions, apparently Mondials are the go.