Author Topic: SON/Edelux on the way.  (Read 4624 times)

Joe B

SON/Edelux on the way.
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:03:08 pm »
I’ve lusted after one for a long time, but finally I have a SON Deluxe + Edelux 2 on the way.

Why the SON and not one of the cheaper and almost good-damit alternatives?
Because this is for my newly re-painted Audax, it’s my best bike, I’ll be riding it for many, many years to come and the SON is a beautiful piece of kit which I don’t mind paying the extra for in this instance.

Why the Deluxe?
I don’t need to do much gadget charging on this bike. The only thing I can envisage needing to charge is my Garmin GPS. I know that it is easily capable of 200K audax rides on a single charge so on the go charging is only a requirement on rides longer than this. It will be a while before I’m able to devote enough time to cycling to get myself back into 400K condition so not really a concern right now. When I do need to charge on the go it can be done during the day leaving when lighting is (probably) not required. 

Why the Edelux 2.
The Luxos U was also considered but the Edelux 2 beam pattern on Peter White’s web site is amazing. I also think that the Luxos with handle bar switch looks a little bit less robust.

If I were buying a lighting rig for any other bike it may well have been a Shimano or SP coupled to an AXA lamp, but for this bike it has to be the SON/Edelux. I’ll be riding the 30 odd miles from Glasgow Central Station back to work late on Sunday night and I’m really quite looking forward to it

jags

Re: SON/Edelux on the way.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:48:04 pm »
You lucky lucky lucky lucky boy i cant go the monty  Dan would bar me from the forum ;D

Class bit of kit  bet you can't wait to try in on the dark country lanes..

jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:56 pm »
What a great choice, Joe! You've thought this through carefully and it sound like this combo will be ideal for your needs. I'm really excited for you and look forward to the ride reports after it arrives. They really do work very nicely.

Best wishes for many a happy and safe night ride,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:45:06 pm by Danneaux »

honesty

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »
I would think that as long as you use only the lights or charging the deluxe would be fine, just not both together.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:29:34 pm »
That sounds like the business for heroic rides. The point about the Edelux lamp is in the first instance that it is better made than the B&M one, thus more reliable, and that is much proven.

Joe B

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
Yes, it does seem very well made and I'm certainly expecting it to give very long service.
While nobody can ever dispute the superb beam patterns of the B&M lamps and that the technology and research effort they apply in producing their lamps is far beyond that of other manufacturers. I still don't like that their products are so plastic and fragile looking.
My current primary lamp is battery Ixon IQ, and while it is the best night riding lamp I've ever owned it certainly ain't the most robust.

IanW

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 03:09:40 pm »
Hi Joe,

I have been using the SONdelux + Edelux (version 1) for 3 winters now and all I can say is that it has been faultless and brilliant (pun intended).

I went for the combination:
a) because they were known to be compatible (i.e. lower output from the SONdelux operating the Edelux just fine)
b) because I could get them in same red anodized colour as red Rohloff hub fitted to a red RST

I also have experience of the B&M Cyo T (+ SunUP DS-1R dynamo, a whole different ball-game)

The Cyo T (which I think shares its new reflector with the Edelux 2)
has a bit of a hotspot at the centre of the beam pattern, which I personally have no problem with.
But the Cyo T is definitely more plastic-y and less robustly built than the Edelux.

My one "gripe" about the Edelux (version 1) is that once its stand-light capacitor has charged up, there is *no way* to switch it off at the end of the ride if I happen to park it some where a bit theft prone.

So overall, between the Cyo T and the Edelux 2, I would, if you can afford the difference, go for the Edelux 2

But I now have some experience of the newer SON hub (which looks like the SONdelux)
paired with the Philips LED Dynamo 60lux light.

The newer SON dynamo hub definitely has more rolling resistance than the SONdelux, even when the lights are off.
But then it does produce more power.

The Philips light, apart from the mounting bracket, is well constructed and works very well.
It is perhaps not quite as beautifully engineered as the Edelux (version 1, but I assume the 2 will be as well designed / constructed).
And it does *not* have the sensor position (which I leave my Edelux set to all the time).

So, without meaning to detract from your choice, which I think is an excellent one,
and with the big caveat about having to fix (i.e. replace) the rather feeble mounting bracket on the Philips light
I think that the Philips LED Dynamo light is at least as functionally capable light as either the Cyo T or the Edelux (version 1) at a rather cheaper price
And this price is currently falling too because Philips has decided to discontinue it apparently (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?287452-Philips-LED-bike-light&p=4373625&viewfull=1#post4373625)

P.S. I don't know if you intend to run a rear light too? But if you do, and you haven't committed to a model of light yet, you might want to consider the "B&M Toplight View Plus brake" available here: http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/b--m-toplight-view-brake-plus-dynamo-back-light/aid:703648 for a rather better price than the older "B&M Toplight Line Plus brake" (which is what I have)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:13:27 pm by IanW »

Joe B

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:59:30 pm »
Hi Ian,

Yes I will probably use a rear dynamo lamp too once I get around to ordering one. I have like to use mudguard mounted rear lights as the Audax bike might not always have a rack fitted.

I should admit that the choice of colour did play a part in deciding upon the Edelux. The Blue version matches the blue on my frame perfectly :)

Joe B

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:19:06 pm »
First night ride with the SON/Edelux complete. Wow, best describes it I think, brilliant in every respect.

If there is any perceivable drag from the hub it is certainly not detectable by me. I did notice a little of the hub induced vibration that I’ve heard other describe before but only when descending at speeds greater than 20mph and even then only on the smoothest surfaces. On more typical road surfaces it can’t be felt above the road vibration.

Very happy with it so far.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:28:31 pm »
Wonderful news, Joe! <sound of collectively held breath escaping> Just the result we were hoping for!

Isn't good dyno lighting grand?  ;D

Happy to hear all is meeting expectations -- now, to use it in anger: Audax time!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:53:00 pm »
ah great stuff joe delighted it worked better than you hoped for.
i love night rides especall when the lights  are doing what there supposed to do light the road ahead  and show you the way.i will in the next few years set up mu audax with dynamo hub n lights front and rear.
did you take any photos of the set up.

jags