Author Topic: Insulated water bottles  (Read 6578 times)

Hoodatder

Insulated water bottles
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:40:10 pm »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend which insulated water bottles to use.
They will be used for keeping drinks cool and not hot - if that alters the choice.
I am thinking of buying the Camelbak but have also seen the Zefal - only online and not in the flesh.
Is there any real difference between them that someone can vouch for?

Thanks

Ian

John Saxby

Re: Insulated water bottles
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:06:38 pm »
Ian,

I just did a search for "insulated water bottles" on crazyguyonabike.com, and it yielded, er 49 pages of review, questions, & comments, on both plastic & steel variants, and a range of sizes.

Good luck!

Hoodatder

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:43 pm »
What, only 49 pages?

Will respond in about 3 months from now.

Thanks John.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:10:19 pm »
The so-called insulated water bottles I have have never worked well, except some made by Mitsubishi which had an external fibre-stuffed insulating bag. But the Mitsubishi, of which I had three, were prone to grow stuff on the inside within a year, so they had to be chucked.

So now I use standard small plastic or stainless Thermos flasks. They work for a couple of hours, not even a half-day ride. BEWARE: your standard small Thermos flask is of a slightly lesser diameter than a cyclists's standard water bottle. It doesn't matter to me, because my ironic comment in carbon is an open-sided water bottle holder, the size of which adjusts easily to Thermos size by slipping a rubber band around it, but if your bottle holder is closed and just that fraction too large, your Thermos might bump out of it with expensive results.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:12:12 pm by Andre Jute »

anniesboy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:27:19 am »
I have used the old "trick" of putting a ordinary water bottle into a sock. Get the sock wet it works for a while and can be wetted whenever a suitable water supply is available.

honesty

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 11:35:00 am »
Camelbak do a version of their podium bottle called the big chill. I have not idea how well this bottle works, I have the standard podium and like them a lot though.

Hoodatder

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:33 pm »
After reading various reviews (including crazyguyonabike) I have decided to buy the Kleen Kanteen. All along, I really wanted a stainless steel insulated bottle and this looks like the one for me. A separate Café Cap can be bought which enables drinking on the move - I believe. For some of you, weight might be an issue but I ignore this point on account of me being slightly - if not, quite a bit - overweight. The most important factor for me is to have cold water on the move. Too many times have I had warm, nay, very warm water and spat it out because I found it difficult to swallow.

Camelbak make a s/s bottle called the Eddy, which I understand will only insulate cold drinks and not even carbonated drinks at that! I know I mentioned in my opening post that keeping liquids warm was not a priority, but if my purchase is going to be at the higher end of the scale, then I would also prefer to have the option of heat retaining properties.

Even if drinking from the Kleen Kanteen is prohibited whilst on the go, then stopping for a quick glug isn't the end of the world. After all, I'm cycling for pleasure and am not on some time trial.

As regards Andre's caveats of sizing and elastic band accessories, I'm hoping that my Thorn Profile Design Kages will accommodate any slack or bulge ;)

Whilst cycling across Spain a few years ago, I met up with an Italian and cycled with him for a week or so. He had an insulated metal water bottle and his water was always chilled while mine was damned warm. I'm a slow learner!

So if any of you know any just reasons why I shouldn't buy the Kleen Kanteens, let him speak now or forever hold his peace  :)

Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 01:49:06 pm »
Recently on the net I bought a water bottle described as stainless steel but when it arrived knew the moment I handled the parcel from the weight that it was ali. Later I found the same thing from a pound shop for two quid. It's labeled Sahoo, and looks smart but dents easily if dropped on the road, as ali does.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:43:56 pm by Andre Jute »

Hoodatder

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 02:25:14 pm »
Thanks for the caution Andre. This Kleen Kanteen is "US made" - it is actually manufactured in China from 18 / 20 stainless steel. It would appear that metal water bottles are more prevalent over there than here, with ALL the manufacturers sourcing their labour in China and Korea with the exception of one. One review claimed that Korea made the finest s/s in the world - do you think that's true? Dan's sure to know.

The reviews mentioned dents and knocks etc, even on the s/s bottles but I think that will give them a more aesthetic appeal.
Kind of rugged, well travelled type of dude 8)

If I don't receive any further advice / recommendations, I will buy the KK and let you know how they perform - both hot and cold.

Cheers

Ian

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:30:19 pm »
buy the Kleen Kanteens?

Ian, I use Kleen Kanteen bottles on my bike.  KK also make their own bottle holders (flat plastic, good quality), of which I have a couple, and they've worked fine for 2 - 3 years now. Ditto for the bottles, which are standard stainless, not insulated. 

KK make a larger cage for their one-litre stainless bottle, and I'm thinking to get one of those for the outer cage mounting on the downtube of my Raven. The bottle-holders sold here in Canada are quite inexpensive, $5 - 6. I use the third (front) mounting mainly as a reserve, so I'll likely put a Sigg 1-ltr stainless bottle in the KK cage.

Maybe do a search through those 49 pages, adding "Kleen Kanteen", & see what they say about the insulated variant?

Cheers,

J.

Swislon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:44:27 pm »
I use a Thermos for cold drinks attached and it has been great so far. I also use the SJS bottle cages because they are expandable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151263653510?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

I bought in the UK on the internet but cannot remember who from. I can dig it out if you are interested.

Steve

Hoodatder

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:32:04 pm »
Hi John + Swinson,

I am literally about to press the button to buy 2 x KK insulated bottles.

After reading numerous reviews - crazyguy, youtube etc, my money is going to KK. They are in the food business and hygiene and the cleaning of apparatus is a major consideration of theirs. As regards durability, then I would say s/s is about as strong as you could hope for. The top is leak proof and even though the Café Cap ain't 100% leak / drip proof, it will be good enough to sit in the cage on the bike. Hell, one of my existing caps has a split in it and leaks when going over the occasional bump, but not to the detriment of being unusable.

Swinson - thanks for the word expandable. I was searching the grey matter for that word to explain my cage to Andre.

John - if the expandable cage does not work as intended, I will look at the KK cages - thanks for the nod.

I would not have thought that a question on water bottles would have generated so much interest and varied opinions.

It makes you realise how in a heated and political debate with possibly the slightest misunderstanding, just how easily wars are started.

Thanks

Ian

honesty

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 06:52:07 pm »
I actually usually carry a lifeventure 300ml stainless steel thermos flask. Just the right size to put a large cup of tea in. Usually when you get a tea at tea rooms the pot they give you is usually massive and I end up wasting a cup. With this flask I get to take that cup with me for later.

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:04:54 pm »
I would not have thought that a question on water bottles would have generated so much interest and varied opinions.

Thanks, Ian, glad all that has been helpful. Y'know, we pay attention to life's important wee details...look after the ounces, & the pounds'll take care of themselves.  Or, we're mildly/wildly obsessive about things most people know or care nothing about. Then again, if you're going to be riding for any length of time at all, why not attend to the small details, so that you enjoy your ride & don't get distracted by niggly irritants, get nibbled to death by ducks, etc.

Cheers,

J.

PS:  If you venture into a double-hulled small stainless flask, the best which I've found is a 20-oz item available from LL Bean in Portland, Maine.  I use mine for x-country skiing, day hikes, cross-continental motorcycle trips (& shorter ones too.)  Keeps things hot for 10-12 hrs.  It's not as good as the 32-oz Stanley Aladdin item which I bought in the mid-70's and recently gave to our son & daughter-in-law so they could attend to the whims & fancies of our 13-month-old grand-daughter: that item kept things hot and cold for 24 hrs. It's indestructible--happily, 'cos it's no longer made. Stanley sold the Aladdin brand to a Chinese entity, so it now adheres to inadequate knock-offs.  (Maybe my small one is an unbranded knock-off?)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »
So if any of you know any just reasons why I shouldn't buy the Kleen Kanteens, let him speak now or forever hold his peace
...and...
This Kleen Kanteen is "US made" - it is actually manufactured in China from 18 / 20 stainless steel. It would appear that metal water bottles are more prevalent over there than here, with ALL the manufacturers sourcing their labour in China and Korea with the exception of one. One review claimed that Korea made the finest s/s in the world - do you think that's true? Dan's sure to know.
Hi Ian!

As the owner of three Kleen Kanteen bottles is various sizes and the caps to go with them over a period of years, I can speak from some firsthand experience.

I had great hopes for them and readily concede they are terrifically well-made bottles, but found some flaws in my use, for my needs that has caused me to not use them very much. They're mostly retired, but for what I paid, I haven't been able to part with them. They now live in the bottle pockets of my hip-packs for shorter day hikes.

So, what were the problems for me?

I found the bottles "taste" to my tongue and tastebuds. Not "taste" like old plastic water bottles do, but "taste" as in a new tooth filling or even a test-a-semi-dead-9-volt-battery-by-putting-the-electrodes-on-your-tongue sort of way, an electro-metallic taste that some people are sensitive to. Kleen Kanteen addressed this in their FAQ once, but my bottles do vary in this regard, so it may be one or more has a slightly different alloy composition. It may not be the fault of my bottles. There is the matter of where I tour and the water supply. My favored Great Basin has no drainage to the sea, so salts and minerals concentrate to high levels. Much of the water is poisonous alkali that cannot be purified or rendered potable and I have to test it first with Ph strips to see if it can even be touched -- a few drops can cause severe skin irritation that itches for days if it spills on the back of a hand. Even "regular" water there can taste different. This is one reason why I sometimes prefer to salvage scummy water from cattle troughs and livestock watering holes, then zap it with the SteriPen. Though it can taste foul from the livestock, it will at least be non-alkali.

I can still sometimes "taste" water from the bottles if they're filled with really cold source-water from here in the Willamette Valley, but they're just not suitable for my needs in the Great Basin. To be fair, it is possible no stainless bottle would be suitable for my needs there.

I have since switched to Zéfal's Magnum 1l plastic water bottles, available in black or translucent. I have not used the translucent ones, but the black ones have never had a taste of any sort and no smell, either. They're been absolutely ideal for my needs, perhaps the best I have ever used. Much to my surprise, the black doesn't get as warm as I'd feared, and hastens the evaporation of water from a water-soaked sock I sometimes wrap around them for cooling. The nozzles seal very well, but the lids will leak unless screwed tightly. The trick is to hold the bottom and top and twist in opposite directions. To aid the process with wet, cold hands, I put a silicone wristband around the lid of each bottle to aid grip and traction when tightening.

As for composition, stainless steel is a bit like 6061-series aluminum in that a bit of "slippage" in the ingredients is allowed to still meet the formula, and slight changes can affect "taste". These changes can still be within tolerance at a given factory, yet still vary from batch to batch.

Lids are another matter, and one in which Kleen Kanteen and I are in perfect agreement: If you wish to have a truly leakproof seal, use only the screw-on top and make sure it is securely fastened. Kleen Kanteen have repeatedly advised in past FAQs and even on labeling, the Sports cap (with the pull-up nozzle) is *not* leakproof. It is made of a hard plastic and with use, whatever sealing it arrives with becomes nonexistent. In my experience, this means if a well-used bottle falls over, it will leak until the fluid level falls below the level of the spout.

I had not thought this to be a problem while cycling until I took the Nomad out on a tour in the remoter regions of Oregon's Coast Range last summer and the bottom bracket chose that time to die on me. Not wanting to exacerbate the damage, I rode to my little cabin on the coast, met up with some friends who happened to pass through and caught a ride home with them, taking my baggage with me. I went back the next day to pick up the Nomad and loaded it in the back of my Honda Civic hatchback. The bike was on its side and the bottles started to leak, unbeknownst to me until I got home. The water soaked through the carpet and into the insulating fluff beneath, and the lot was made sodden. I had to remove all the seats and the carpet and insulation and lay it out in the sun for a couple weeks, then reinstall. I then sent for and installed screw-on caps for each bottle, forswearing the "convenience" of the Sport tops.

As a last note, the Kleen Kanteen bottles are not built to the standard dimensions of most bicycle water bottles. They're a bit off in diameter but mostly in height; the "swell" at the top is a bit too tall to catch properly in many cages that will accept the diameter. I think this wouldn't be a problem when used with Profile cages, but do check dimensions first to be sure. Kleen Kanteen do make a bottle cage of their own design for some sizes and this can be used if you want to dedicate a pair of bosses to the task: http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/accessories/klean-kanteen-cages.php

I think they're good bottles, but just weren't suitable for my own cycling needs as described above.

Oh! One last word: If you plan to use Kleen Kanteen bottles (or any metal bottle) in sub-freezing conditions, do leave room for expansion. Strong as they are, they can split if the water inside freezes on a cold night. On the other hand, I've lost some plastic bottles due to freeze-bursting on -10°C nights with the bottles in the tent with me.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:23:59 pm by Danneaux »