Author Topic: The last raven sport tour  (Read 3924 times)

geocycle

The last raven sport tour
« on: December 23, 2014, 04:47:14 pm »
Just noticed SJS are selling the last Rohloff equipped raven sport tour. Personally, I think it's a shame these great frames are discontinued. The venerable RST is squeezed out by the more robust new raven and the more expensive Mercury.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-shopthorn_pg1/

fossala

Re: The last raven sport tour
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »
I've got a Raven Tour but the new ones take my fancy. I would like to have a new frame but with both forks. I would use the 853 forks for commuting/audax and the R forks for touring. The RST seems a bit too chunky to be a fast bike and can't carry enough for full on touring.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:49:01 pm »
I've got a Raven Tour but the new ones take my fancy. I would like to have a new frame but with both forks. I would use the 853 forks for commuting/audax and the R forks for touring. The RST seems a bit too chunky to be a fast bike and can't carry enough for full on touring.

Yes, I think the RST was never quite quick enough so the Mercury with its 700c wheels was introduced. It does make an excellent tourer for all but full on expeditions. Mine gets used for two pannier touring trips, commuting, day rides and utility jaunts. Tomorrow it's going Christmas shopping!

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »
Just noticed SJS are selling the last Rohloff equipped raven sport tour. Personally, I think it's a shame these great frames are discontinued. The venerable RST is squeezed out by the more robust new raven and the more expensive Mercury.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-shopthorn_pg1/

It's hardly the last Sport Tour though,  given that there is more than one for sale equipped with Alfine hubs as well as several framesets. The last of the Sport Tours maybe, but these have been being sold off for a long time now.
Some pretty good prices on those pages.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
I guess your right Rual. About a year ago I bought one of the last 536L frame but it was built up with an affine. I had to rebuild with my rohloff etc. the only frames on sale have been very small sizes for some time now and I see a few are still left. The one for sale is one of the last complete rohloff RST bikes.

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 04:30:14 pm »
I have had mine for two years with the Alfine 8 and very happy with it. All great designs are a compromise.

Am not sure will ever get to a Rohloff style 100,000 mile mark, but the Alfine has been ultra quite and smooth for 7,000 miles plus.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 12:03:28 pm »
Good to hear the alfine is performing well. Nice to know of back up options for the rohloff.