Author Topic: Sticky Rohloff shifter  (Read 2641 times)

tressell69

Sticky Rohloff shifter
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:55 am »
Just bought a new "wave" shifter for my Rohloff thinking this would sort my sticky shifter movement.
Alas it has not.
Shifting is firm to twist but not excessive and cables are tensioned well but not overly tight.
Between 7 & 8 & 9 gears it sticks and I have to shift back then forward again to complete shift.
Its intermittent sticking, but feels not as slick as it should or did when I bought it.
When I detach the baynot connecters from the concertina cables near the hub and rotate the shifter by pulling the cables it rotates freely, so I dont think the shifters at fault.
When I pull the concertina cable back and forth it does feel a tad stiff.
The gears do not mis-shift at any time and are precise when the shifter can be turned without force.
It has just been recabled as I fitted Jones Bars as the cable angles were slightly tight in turning, so thats not an issue.
Any one with any ideas?
Would changing the concertina cables and internal wire at the hub make any difference?
My original shifter was the round type but when i took it apart the spool was bit worn and damaged as if the inner wires had been cutting into it.
I have since replaced the spool on that and it also now shifts freely albeit, off the bike.

Cheers Raymond

Andybg

Re: Sticky Rohloff shifter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:05 am »
If your shifter is rotating freely and your hub is changing gear smoothly, I would have pressumed it must be the cables. I would guess either the cables are frayed or more likely there is a kink in the inner wire somewhere that is catching at some point. If this problem pre and post dates the cable change then maybe it would be worth looking at the rear adjustment ferruls where the cable exits and just make sure something strange is not happening. Other than that I would be a bit stumped apart from the possibility something has gone askew with the cable routing.

Hope some of this may be helpful

Andy

tressell69

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 11:47:26 am »
Hi there,
The cables , both outers and inners have been replaced with a nice wide sweep.around bars follwed by an uninterupted, zip tied outers running underneath top tube towards adjustment ferules.
Cables have all been cut with Parks Cable cutters to a nice clean end and cable lengths were cut using the Rohloff measuring Loop Tool.
The adjustment ferules have been tensioned to take out the slack in the cable.
The shifts tend to only stick when "revving" the shifter and not usually on the downward push.
Thanks Raymond

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 12:05:33 pm »
I would leave a little slack in the cables. I have found that the changes run smoother with a bit of slack. The only downside is that the gear indication can then be a little dubious.

Andy

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:42 pm »
Sounds like the internal shifter cable is maybe starting to fray.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 10:24:09 pm »
Sounds like the internal shifter cable is maybe starting to fray.

Yes worth checking. Lift it out and regrease the brass pulley being careful to check the cable for wear without it springing off the pulley. It's a tad fiddly to reseat if you don't have to change it. But, I'd check the cable run again, make sure all is in the right run and make sure nothing is too tight.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:11 am »
Probably the internal cable, how old is it and when was it last changed?