Author Topic: Shortening Thorn Comfort Bars  (Read 2424 times)

phopwood

Shortening Thorn Comfort Bars
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »
Hi,

I have some thorn comfort bars and have just got some Ergon GP5 grips and bar ends.  I feel like the bar ends would suit the bars a little narrower.  It is safe to shorten the bars.

I will use them for a few weeks before cutting them down, but I just want to check before I reach for the pipe cutter.

All the best.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Shortening Thorn Comfort Bars
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:47 pm »
I don't envision any problems or safety issues with cutting-down the *ends* of the handlebars, Peter.

I have done so myself numerous times in the past with no issues to date unless there is some unusual feature in how the 'bars are constructed or formed (i.e. carbon, with inserts). Usually, the cut amount is less than 2cm at each end.

You can use a saw with saw guide or a pipe cutter. If the latter, lube the area first to prevent surface marks that could form stress risers inside where the bar-ends will clamp. A neater job can result if you turn the cutter knob incrementally with each turn rather than trying to get through the entire thickness in just a couple passes. Your cutting wheel will last longer, too. I have sometimes used an emery or carbide cutting disk with my chop saw and v-block tubing clamps with the handlebars out of the bike.

I would suggest smoothing the cut edges of the aluminum with a bit of emery cloth or a file so they won't be sharp, but otherwise, all seems fine in my opinion. If not, I'm sure someone will arrive with suitable cautions soon.

Best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:45 pm »
Thanks Dan I was hoping you would say that.  I am not too worried about making the cut and cleaning it up I am more worried about wrecking the bars.

Like I say I will use them with the grips for a few weeks before deciding.

I put butterfly bars on a few weeks ago,  but these have not worked for me.  I am getting the dredded tingly hands after about an hour.  But I liked the extra reach which I am hope to replicate with the ergon GP5's. 

Petet

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:38 pm »
Peter,

Here is one more thought before you reach for the saw or cutter --

It might be a Good Idea to check and see if the Ergon GP5s and the bar-ends will all fit in the space remaining were the 'bars to be cut.

I'm sure you've checked, but I figured I'd risk the suggestion simply because I once ran afoul of this very result myself.

All the best,

Dan. (...who knows, firsthand and sadly, the meaning of "Measure Twice, Cut Once")

julk

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:08:26 am »
It might be a Good Idea to check and see if the Ergon GP5s and the bar-ends will all fit in the space remaining were the 'bars to be cut.

If you are running a Rohloff the right grip might need shortening as well, neither Rohloff nor Ergons will go round the bend.
Julian.

phopwood

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »
Yep I brought the grips for Rohloff.  So with the grips on and fully fitted I moved the brake lever and shift as far inbound as it would go, this gave me a gap of 23mm to play with.  So the max I can shorten the bars are 23mm each end.  I will decide in a few weeks. 

Thanks all for you comments I will let you know what I decide to do.

Peter