Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa Sizing Question  (Read 2031 times)

Roundisland

Thorn Sherpa Sizing Question
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:35:28 am »
Good morning all. As I'm not in the position to afford a new Thorn at the moment so I am currently looking at buying second hand. I have seen a Thorn Sherpa 535L. My height is 5ft 10.25 and in bare feet have an inside leg measurement of 29.5" would the Sherpa I'm looking at be too big?

Thank you in advance for any help

JWestland

Re: Thorn Sherpa Sizing Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:33 am »
Hi :)

Do you know what top tube size / standover you need?

Obv. TT size depends on if you want to run drop bars or straight bars/road bars.

If those two are in limit, it should be OK.

If you're not sure use this site I used it and it gives a very good approximation: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

You need help to measure you but it does work. A cm here and there doesn't matter, but I wouldn't go down to stems shorter than 8 cm or longer than 12 as the steering can then feel too quick/sluggish. It also looks stupid :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:05 pm »
HI Roundisland ,

sizes for 535L are slope 55..seattube c to c 480..virtual toptube 575..mid tube standover 780.. toptube/headtube jcn 808.

hope this is of some assistance, but a phone call to SJS will verify what is the right frame size for you.

As Jwestland says it is also always better to have someone else measure you correctly.

Regards Alfie.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:17:47 pm by alfie1952 »

Roundisland

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
Thank you for the quick responses.

Sounds to me from what you say about the top tube being 575 that it will be too big. I currently own a Dawes Galaxy with a top tube length of 570 and I feel over stretched on it, even with the shortest stem fitted and saddle forward still not comfortable riding on the hoods for any period of time.

I guess I will have to wait for a smaller one to appear on ebay!

Many thanks

Donerol

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
Thorn do long and short versions of their frames, the L (long) for flat bars and the S (short) for drops. So look out for a 535S.

alfie1952

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:39 pm »
Hi Roundisland,

The 535L is primarily for flat bars, it's a pity you could not have a look and try this bike to see if it would be a reasonable  fit. If not ,then I hope you're lucky in your search.

Regards Alfie