Author Topic: World Cycle Tour at 18  (Read 4318 times)

Spindog

World Cycle Tour at 18
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
Hi there.
 I'm going to be attempting a world cycle tour on a Sherpa starting this winter. I don't have much experience of touring and I'm only 18 so most people think I've got a screw loose but I'm taking two years off before I go to Uni and I feel this might be my only chance. I was just looking for a bit of advice about the following things; what stove to use - trangia vs pressurized multifuels or even a biolite, whether it's worth buying some kind of water filter and also how to get round the endless visa challenge.
Thanks.

rualexander

Re: World Cycle Tour at 18
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 05:33:08 pm »
On a world tour, definitely a multi-fuel stove, petrol and diesel are the only fuels you will find relatively easily everywhere.
For water treatment I would go for something like the Aquaguard system http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/hydration/PA102.html

brummie

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:39:18 pm by JimK »

allywatt

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »
Welcome to the forum Spindog.

You're quite right to go for it.  Once you have started on the university - job - commitment treadmill, it's far harder to find the time.  An adventure like the one you plan to embark on will certainly make you a richer person in more ways than one.

This is a fantastic forum with lots of knowledgeable friendly contributors who, between them, have a vast range of experience of all things Thorn and bike related.  I have learned much by being a passive observer, and the few questions I have asked have been very well answered.  To avoid repetition its always good to do a search first, just to check that your query hasn't been asked before.  Good luck in the planning of your trip.  Do you have a start date in mind?

Slainte

ians

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »
no specific advice - just wanted to say good luck and enjoy yourself.

jags

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:40:58 pm »
18 and doing a world tour on a thorn sherpa.life will never be the same again that's for sure. can't offer any advice as i'm only a fair weather tourer (all the gear but no idea) ;D ;D.

have a ball brother enjoy and stay safe go with the flow.

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 12:34:42 am »
Good on ya, spindog!  Enjoy, keep a diary, take some fotos for yourself and your family. The diary will be good reading when you visit some of the same places 30 years hence. Safe journey, safari njema as they say in East Africa.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 02:46:43 am »
Hi Spindog, and welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!

Though 18 is young, it can also be an ideal time to do such things in your "gap year" before starting your higher education. Too often, one gets quickly locked into long-term obligations, whether they be schooling, work, or relationships/marriage.

I still have the paper maps for my yet-to-be-taken trans-Canada ride...from my senior year in high school.

How will you do? It depends on the individual, but I think you'll probably do pretty well if you are prepared, have a fundamental knowledge of the basics of bike repair, and relate well to people you will meet along the way. It will be an education of its own that will provide memories for a lifetime.

Like Rual, I would suggest a multifuel stove as the most versatile primary stove, especially if it can operate on automotive petrol. A small alcohol/meths/spirit stove doesn't take up much room, can be readily made on-site using a couple of beer or soft-drink cans, and will burn anything from rubbing alcohol (poorly but workably) to Everclear or vodka (moderately well) to automotive fuel line antifreeze (methylated spirits, which burn exceptionally well and soot-free). It is worth Googling "beer can stove" or "soda can stove" for instructions. They can be made in a near-endless variety, but my current favorite is the pressurized "penny stove" detailed here: http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/ Given one can be made from locally available materials and can burn common fuels, it is worth having the knowledge to make one -- and they are light and small enough to toss in your kit as a hedge against failure in your main stove. Just do not *ever* burn more volatile fuels like petrol or naptha in a spirit stove or it *will* explode, likely with tragic results. As a secondary stove, a Trangia spirit burner is a more robust version of the beer-can stove and can operate reliably and silently pretty much forever when more expensive stoves can be clogged by silt, impurities, and soot.

Very best wishes on your journeys. A good attitude and flexibility are probably the most vital tings you can bring to any bicycle tour.

Best,

Dan.

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:28:38 am »
Do it, Do it, Do it.
If you want to know what not to do, just read my posts :)
 Whilst the world can seem very small being so interconnected and globalised nowdays, its still the same size that it ever was.
If you really want to visit a particular country for whatever reason go whilst you can.

You only have to look at Syria and whats happening in Ukraine to see how easily things get out of hand and before you know it and place is not possible.
Grab the chance and go for it.

My own personal advice, and not all will agree is dont spend too much time planning and spend your time getting out on your bike and your tent even for one night and you'll find out so many things that way.

I've just had a friend join me out here in Sri Lanka. She's off cycling on her own for the first time now. Because she was with me she didnt have any tools etc.

So before we left we went off to shops to buy her some bits. The morning she went to leave she had a slow punture, so she decided to swap the tube over herself as she hadn't done it before. It was only when she went to pump up the new tube we both realised she didnt have a pump.
It's moments like this that help you prepare so much..

The great thing with bicycle touring is there are no rules. There is no right way to do things.
If you want to take a hairdryer, take one. But if a 100 people tell you a reason not to, it's probably good advice as long as they explain why :)

As for Visas, they are the biggest pain in the arse you will have bar none. And probably the biggest expense. There is no easy way.
For Sri Lanka, india, Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Dubai I can let you know whats what. Most of the time you will end up knowing more than the officials. Treat it as a game and you wont get too annoyed with it :)

Have a great time, and if you cant go for two years, go for one or even 6 months. I promise it will change your life and attitude to travel for ever.

My original trip was for 70 days. It now looks like I will be travelling for next ten years at least.

PEAS
Richie
PS I've got a primus multifuel which takes everything from cylinder gas to rocket fuel. Depending on where you go its often easier and cheaper to just buy food ready cooked. Samosa in India 3 rupees :) 3pence
But you can't beat a cup of tea on a cold morning.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

Spindog

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:53 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I've bought an Edelrid multifuel stove - http://www.edelrid.de/en/Edelrid/Sports/Hexon-Multifuel-nocolor.html as a cheaper but hopefully still reliable alternative to a Primus or MSR. I've also ordered the cycle touring hand book - it seems to be popping up everywhere.
I'll leave the filtration system till a later date but I've made a note of it, thanks.
I'll probably be back with a few more technical questions and probably some rookie ones too but for now - thanks a lot.