Author Topic: Jags' Placeholder till he gets another genuine Thorn  (Read 4700 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Jags' Placeholder till he gets another genuine Thorn
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:00:46 am »
Because Thorn kindly provide this little playground for us, it seems only right to keep things either general or -- if a marque is featured -- Thorn-related and not a direct competitor to their models.

However, beloved member Jags once owned a Sherpa before selling it last year...and plans to get another as soon as possible.

Therefore, I've taken the liberty of posting his current ride and pride 'n' joy on his behalf, a much loved bicycle with the name altered just a bit. Because "Thorn" is a registered trademark, I can't label it outright as such, but I have done my best to make it a sort of indeterminate jumble and in quotation marks so if someone figures it out, it won't be mistaken for the real thing. In case they do, this is the "753" model they never produced.

That said, it is a corker of a bike, one of the prettiest I've seen, with classic lines throughout. The custom paintwork is especially nice, what with the faux flames trailing or leading the contrasting colors. Ride it in good health, Anto, and I hope you get another Thorn to replace the late, great Sherpa soonest!

All the best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

Re: Jags' Placeholder till he gets another genuine Thorn
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 07:47:15 am »
Ha, brilliant! As Jags says,'class'.  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:20 am »
I especially like how the saddlebag support anchors to the bolt holding the umbrella clip for the pump.

Very clever thinking, that.

Mighty fine job you did of fitting mudguards in such limited space.

Best,

Dan.

Relayer

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:58:16 am »
Ha, brilliant! As Jags says,'class'.  ;D

+1 the only word is "class!".

julk

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:39 am »
Dan,

Brilliant!

julk

jags

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:38 am »
Hah Ha very clever indeed a new paint job as well CLASS.
i have that bike 28 years or so it's a cracker still as good as the day i bough it.i tried to get it together for light touring but once i had all my gear on it,it was a disaster not built for carrying  big loads .
anyway thanks Dan your a genius .

cheers
anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 03:03:20 pm »
Lovely bike, guys, well done.  Dan, your work takes "badge engineering" into a whole new dimension.  Love the critters in the background having a rest or a snack, oblivious to our obsessions.

jags

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »
John i wanted to see if Dan or Jim would recognize those beasts, i thought they were Aberdeen Angus but i was wrong the lads got them correct naturally. ::)
if you want to hazard a guess ;)

jags.
oh yeah that photo was takrn yesterday  on one of my cycling routes Boyne Valley and Newgrange.

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 06:02:01 pm »
Jags your old friend Mr Raleigh is real class, and what lovely photograph of the Irish countryside....Mudguards fitted perfect.

Regards, Alfie.

jags

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 06:25:56 pm »
Cheers Alfie ;)

Neil Jones

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 08:06:02 pm »
Looks great cycling country Jags, are they Highland Cattle in the background? Magnificent beasts whatever they are.
I have to say aesthetically you just can't beat the horizontal top tube framed road bikes, can't explain why it should be, or it might just be my opinion.
I can't believe how well you've looked after your 'Thorneigh', is it in original condition or has it been resprayed at some point?
Neil.

alfie1952

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »
Hello again  Jags.
We have a campsite close by, which is well used especially around the Edinburgh Festival time, it is called Mortonhall. Within their grounds they have a few of these magnificent animals. Heilan coos.

Regards
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:28:46 pm by alfie1952 »

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:58:22 pm »
Ah i knew you scottish lad's would know there were highland cattle i didn't have a clue until Jim and dan told me.
Neil i agree the older style looks far better,i got it sprayed twice first time was a sky blue nice but always fancied something flash .to be honest it's a bit like triggers brush, American boys wont have a notion what that means  ;D ;D
when i first bought it all those years ago i had super campag reckord groupset on the whole bike  even the wheels had campag hubs but then dura ace came on the scene i loved it so off came the campag on went the full groupset of dura ace.since then it has.
5 new sets wheels
new front N  rear mechs,
new crankset
mudguards
rack/ 2 paint jobs.
only original parts left are the brake calibers and stem. ;D ;D oh and the frame.

ah i'm not right in the head.

anto

alfie1952

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 10:04:14 pm »
Obviously still the same bike then.......  !!

Regards, Dave
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:08:34 pm by alfie1952 »

jags

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:57 pm »
YIP ;D ;D