Author Topic: Battery light for fork crown fitting  (Read 7198 times)

lewis noble

Battery light for fork crown fitting
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:50:49 pm »
I am considering fitting a light (battery) onto the fork crown on my bike, which has a Mt Tura .

I currently use Cateye lights on my bars, but the bars a a little crowded, and I am thinking of mo0unting them either on an accessory bar or fork crown.

(. . . . and, I hear people ask, why are the bars crowded??  I have bar end shifters mounted on the flat bars - excellent - but that does reduce the amount of space available, if interfering with cable runs is avoided . . .)

Any light / bracket recommendations??

Lewis

Chris M

Re: Battery light for fork crown fitting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:12:58 pm »
It really depends on what you want the light for; to see with or be seen?
My commute includes a canal towpath with no lighting and at 4.30am it's pitch black, I use a Lezyne Power Drive XL which puts out about 475 lumens at full power and is plenty to light up the area in front. For the return journey home I can drop it down to 125 lumens for on road use. USB rechargeable and with changeable batteries it suits my needs perfectly, I've got it mounted on a Thorn accessory bar.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Lezyne/Power-Drive-XL-Front-Light-2014/2ODU?gclid=CN6cyeme0bwCFa-WtAodWXUAOg

Chris

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 06:26:58 pm »
http://www.paulcomp.com/ginolightmount.html
this guy makes some snazzy gear .

Chris M

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:31:40 pm »
ah jags, you're costing me money mate. I do like the look of those mounts, could be handy on the dark tow path to have a lower light.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 06:36:07 pm »
Thanks - I should have specified - light is to see by, especially in dark / poorly lit lanes, to avoid potholes - which on tarmac roads can be far worse that anything you come across on a trail . . . . . So the Lezyne is a good recommendation.

I use a blinkie to be seen by others, I tend to use it day and night.

Interesting suggestions, thanks, I will look further at them.  I was hoping to avoid using an accessory bar, hence the crown mounting on a bracket, but the Paul kit and brackets looks interesting!!

Lewis

jags

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:52:44 pm »
Lads i had Paul canti'e on the Sherpa really really well made, so you can be assured  what ever you buy from them its going to work.

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:48:31 pm »
Busch & Muller, as always, make a very nice fork-crown mount for battery lights.

martinf

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »
Busch & Muller, as always, make a very nice fork-crown mount for battery lights.

I tried an Ixon IQ (internal batteries) on a B&M fork-crown mount and decided it vibrated too much, so moved it to the handlebar.

The fork-crown mount would probably be OK with the Ixon Speed, which has external batteries, therefore lighter.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:21 pm »
Lewis,

Our own AndyBG did a very nice combination crown mount and accessory bar in one to mount his headlights: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5165.msg27129#msg27129

More pics earlier in that thread: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5165.msg27061#msg27061

Might be helpful.

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 10:44:00 pm »
Thanks guys, plenty to think on already!!

My inclination is moving towards the Lezyne light as used by Chris, his needs sound similar to mine . . . and the Lewzyne products I have had have been well thought out.

But as always, good ideas here.

Went on my first real ride for several weeks today, the cold rain, and when not raining, fierce winds over the hills have made it easy to put off getting back on the bike.  Only about 18 miles, but a start and all well - with the Ripio feeling secure and well behaved as usual.

Lewis

Chris M

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:45:03 am »
Lewis if you do go for the Lezyne its worth looking out for the loaded option as it comes with a spare battery and helmet mount.

Chris

lewis noble

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 09:27:03 am »
Thanks Chris - yes, I spotted that option!

Do you find it fits securely on the accessory bar, which I think is around 22 mm diameter, is an extra shim (old inner tube works wonders) or anything needed??

Lewis

Chris M

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 09:52:31 am »
The bracket comes with 2 different size clamps and 2 different size shims. I've had my Lezyne for a couple of years, apparently they had problems with some of the older brackets from that time although mine was ok. Despite this I replaced mine with the updated bracket a few weeks ago and it seems much more sturdier. The Power Drive XL now comes with the newer bracket as standard and it works fine on the accessory bar with the smallest clamp and thickest shim.

lewis noble

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 10:08:52 am »
Thanks Chris

I think I have all the info I need now, guys, thanks for posts.

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:54 pm »
Just a point, Chris - is your accessory bar the model with the 'narrow' bar (22.2 mm diameter I think) for fitting the accessories onto (similar to the narrower part of most flat bars) or the model (currently out of stock and may not be available for a while) with the 25 mm diameter crossways bar?? 

Lewis