Author Topic: choosing the best gear help.  (Read 2933 times)

jags

choosing the best gear help.
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:39:10 pm »
Well Sjs have a frame to fit me so i just need to get the rest of the money together to buy the damn thing.What i need to buy extra is
Brake Leavers ?
Dropbars 44 silver?
Matching stem 80mm (silver chrome ?
V-Brakes sorted.as is the rest of the build i will be taking everything off the raleigh and swapping over ;)
when i do eventually buy the frame i want to keep it as chrome looking as possible .
i have no idea what colour the frame is i never thought to ask  ;D ;D i'm a geek i know but i dont want to ask Dave again i think i will only drive the man mental with questions.
big thanks to everyone who gave me a dig out on this new bike JIM /DAN , i have a guy dead interested in buying my guitar so if he buys i'll have that dream bike on the road in jig time.but i aint holding my breath on the sale of guitar only when money is in my hand  ;)
so lads what bars and stem  and leavers is gonna be the dogs.

cheers
 jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: choosing the best gear help.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »
hey since there is a musical angle here, maybe I can squeeze in my latest creation for the amusement of all...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=784761&songID=12676943

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 04:24:53 pm »
very good jim a man of many talants.
this is my son frank from one of his films hes a nice singer and not a bad guitar player have a listen,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=346834&songID=7998940&showPlayer=true

jags.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:42:10 pm »
wow jags, thanks for that! Real music for sure! I just play mathematical games.

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
cheers jim ah music is great i'm an old folkie meself  ;D ;D

in4

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 04:50:43 pm »
Well I like 'em both for different reasons. Jag's lad's because its Luka Bloom esque and Jim's because those microtones and quasi-syncopations intrigue me; bit like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA4mOz-wqtY these ladies!

jags

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:56:38 pm »
class fantastic singers 8)

rualexander

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 06:11:24 pm »
For your v brake compatible brake levers you have two choices, Tektro RL520 or Dia Compe 287V.
I've used both and the Tektro levers are by far the better design and they are generally cheaper too, Chainreaction have them for £16.99 for a pair just now.
The Dia Compe levers are I believe, modified standard caliper/cantilever levers, they look like a more traditional design whereas the Tektros look a bit chunkier, both brands work fine but the Tektros feel a bit smoother in use. Also the Tektros have a wee quick release button to make unhooking your brake noodle from the brake easier when taking a wheel off.

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 06:27:47 pm »
thanks rual i'll put them on the wish list Tektro it is.
what about dropbars i want shallow and sjs reckon i need 80mm stem for the proper fit for me. can i use oversize bars.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ritchey-ritchey-classic-curve-drop-handlebars-318-mm-clamp-polished-prod24607/.and ste m to match but ritchie only has 90 mm as far as i can see..
anything cheaper i can look at but must look good. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 06:30:52 pm »
Hi jags!

I like Rual's suggestion very much (I use the same brake levers, find them satisfactory, and like how the lever blades are "cranked" to allow easy actuation from atop the brake hoods -- and that dandy little quick release!) so a "second" from me. One of those rare times when a bargain is also great value.

If you're planning to swap-over pretty much everything from the Raleigh...why not the handlebars as well? You'd only need to change the stem and that's it.

I'm a bit worried about the Raleigh's fate in all this. Not setting the Faithful Companion out to pasture, are you? I'm thinking it will live again in a new build; gotta have a go-fast bike!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:29:06 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 06:42:13 pm »
Dan i reckon noel might built it up with whats in the parts box, I'm full sure i have a campag record  chainset and rear mech, the campag sti leavers he can use as well.
i have a quill stem on the Raleigh so might just leave bars as they are.
now that i think of it noel has new bars on his fixie maybe i should use them if I'm allowed  ::) very sensitive these young dudes.
i know i'm away ahead of myself with this project,but if i can get all sorted then when i can afford to buy frame i'll have it on the road in a matter of hours.