Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa Mk III  (Read 1651 times)

janeh

Thorn Sherpa Mk III
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:41:05 am »
Hello,

Been meaning to post a pic of this for a while. It's a Thorn Sherpa size 475M. It was bought frame only as a part exchange for a paint damaged mk 2 Sherpa size 460s with drops. I went for straights because for the new sizes, there isn't really a size short enough for drops for me. Originally they sent me a 500L but to me it seemed too big (I'm 5' 3" 1603mm tall 77cm inside leg). I agonised and swapped for this.

I'm still adjusting to the straights, it has Ergon GP5 grips. Maybe should have gone for the narrow bars. The things is though, due to pregnancy and then arrival of small boy no 3 last July, it's hardly been ridden. So you see it as quite ugly. Steerer not fully cut, the rack is a heavy one for pulling the Islabikes tag along, there is a scratch on the head tube on one side, don't know where it came from! (anyone know what is the right paint to use?).

Best wishes,
Jane
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:56:56 pm by janeh »

julk

Re: Thorn Sherpa Mk III
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 10:13:23 am »
Jane,
Good to see a picture of your bike - looks nice to me.

Good luck with the family, we have 5 offspring and 3 are still cycle camping as adults.
Two seem to have developed an aversion to the cycling somewhere along the line.

Moving from drops to straights, you will find most straight bars to be wider and you will find this strange at first.
You can easily cut straight bars down as long as you can get the controls and grips onto what is left, but it is a one way trip if you cut too much off!

I use Ergon grips and found that varying the angle of the grip slightly up/down/level made a considerable difference in feel and comfort, it is worth experimenting until comfort is achieved. The shape of the straight bars can make a difference as well. With increasing age I now prefer a more swept back ‘straight’ bar to keep my shoulders relaxed.
Again worth trying some different shapes if you can get to borrow them.

I would e-mail Thorn and ask them about matching paint for a scratch on the frame.

Have fun.
Julian

il padrone

Re: Thorn Sherpa Mk III
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:44:03 am »
Matching paint? Hmm.....

I was sent a little pot of matching touch-up paint with my Thorn Nomad Mk 2 (yellow). It looked to be fine and sat on the shelf for some time. Then time came - the first scratch. The touch up paint had settled a bit, but a good shake up did well to mix it. Then on doing the touch up, what looked a fine yellow in the bottle went on and disappeared into a thin watery nothingness. I have got a coat over the scratch, but basically just clear coat that has discoloured with time.

>:( :-\

I have now accepted that the powder coat will just have to do as is and will get more scratches. At some time in 10-15 years time I may choose to get the powder coat redone.

Disappointing touch-up pot though. Why bother sending it ??
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:46:24 am by il padrone »