Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 116777 times)

bikerta

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
My bars are also set up very similar to these. I think my hand grips are probably a little higher at the moment between 2 and 3 o'clock, but I am thinking of moving them down a little. I have been very pleased with this handlebar set up.

Jackie

jags

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:16 PM »
Jackie remind us again when your trip starts.

cheers
anto.

geocycle

« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
Got out today on the Bowland Fells. Great views across the dales to ingleborough and the Lake District. Here's looking back down the climb up the Hodder valley.

Andre Jute

« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
Got out today on the Bowland Fells. Great views across the dales to ingleborough and the Lake District. Here's looking back down the climb up the Hodder valley.

That's some climb. Handy post for leaning a bike against. Beautiful scene, beautiful photograph as always.

bikerta

« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2014, 04:16:26 PM »
Jackie remind us again when your trip starts.

cheers
anto.

Hi Anto,

I leave here on the 29th July (2 weeks on Tuesday) on the train up to London, Waterloo. I then have to cycle across London    :o   to Euston station to catch the 9.15pm Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness. I arrive in Inverness at 8.30am on Wednesday morning and have to wait a couple of hours to catch the train up to Thurso, arriving there around 2.30pm. It's then a fairly gentle 20ish mile cycle to John O' Groats where I will set up camp ready to start the ride on Thursday morning. (31st July)

Did a 45 mile ride today loaded up. Was pleased with how it went, in fact the first half of the ride was just a quick as when I have done it with an empty bike. I soon realised why though when I started to turn back towards home and hit the headwind. Needless to say the second half of the ride was not quite so quick. Still managed to climb all the hills though and in fact climbed 1 short but steep hill that I have not managed before. Legs must be getting stronger, but you can certainly feel the loaded bike tiring the legs much quicker than usual. I can keep the mileage down to between 40 and 50 miles on the trip thank goodness. I would not be able to do it if I had to cover 70 to 80 miles every day.

I was lucky enough to be given a voucher to spend in Tri UK which we have a branch in Yeovil, so managed to treat myself to a pair of Assos shorts to try and help the saddle sore situation. Not too bad at the moment it only seems to be a problem if I do over 50 miles or so. Also bought some of the Assos chamois cream whilst I was there too, this feels much nicer than Sudocreme.

Am getting very nervous about the trip now, but excited at the same time. I am worried about not getting everything ready on time as work is horrendously busy at the moment and I have so little time at thome. I will be covering a few more smaller training rides this week and will then rest for the final week before I go to give the muscles a chance to recover.

jags

« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2014, 04:36:08 PM »
Excellent Jackie i sure hope all goes well for ya sure why wont it ;)

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
Jackie,

I'm so pleased and excited for you!  All best wishes for the trip of your dreams.  You're doing everything right and all should go well as a result.

For what it's worth,  I never leave for a tour without a few butterflies...it is normal for me and ensures the first few hours I remain alert and unlikely to do something foolish. You'll do fine, I just know it!

All the best,

Dan. (...who is headed toward Strausbourg tomorrow)

jags

« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »
What spurs you guys on to tour solo.i dont think i could do a long tour on my own well i know i couldn't.Long day rides are not a problem even night rides, i often left me warm cozy house on a cold winters night for a 25 mile spin. ::)

just curious .

anto

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
What spurs you guys on to tour solo.

It may sound selfish but a week of totally 'me' time is wonderful. Once the initial butterflies have gone I spend the week feeling better, sleeping better, exercising more and eating less............got to be good for me  :)
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

bikerta

« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
Anto, sometimes it has to be a solo tour as I don't have any of my friends who are cyclists. Actually, most of my work mates think I am totally mad. I think there are things for and against solo touring. I will be able to go at my own pace and stop when I want, go which ever way I want, eat what I want and you also get lots of time for thinking and sorting yourself out in your mind. This is a necessity in the whirlwind lives we lead.

The downsides of course is that it can become lonely at times, especially in the evenings and there is no one to share the WOW! moments with or the LOW moments either. Nipping into a shop or the toilet becomes a pain as you have got to find somewhere to leave the bike. I will have to carry a huge lock weighing nearly the same as my tent just for this purpose. I probably wouldn't bother if there were 2 or more of us as 1 could stand watching the bikes. If something goes wrong with the bike it's more tricky to sort it on your own as there is no one to just nip and get some spares for you.

I think if I had the choice, I would prefer to tour with 1 close friend, but I know that going with a big group would not be my idea of fun as you can never please everyone.

lewis noble

« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
Very best wishes for the trip, Jackie. Your comments about your 'trial ride' loaded are interesting; the Sherpa is ideal for your sort of trip, that is when they come into their own, and on all my rides, even the long slogs uphill, which I am not good at and the heavier Thorns not ideal for, you get the feeling that the bike is looking after you and doing its best for you.

You'll be fine.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2014, 08:46:42 PM »
Yeah i can see the benifits of solo touring but i think a good companion is worth there weight in gold.

jackie as for the bike lock just get a padlock and a good strong cable i would be looking to cut as much weight  as possible from my load.

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #252 on: July 13, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »
It may sound selfish but a week of totally 'me' time is wonderful. Once the initial butterflies have gone I spend the week feeling better, sleeping better, exercising more and eating less............got to be good for me  :)

Agreed apart from the eating less bit, how do you manage that on tour! I get very little time on my own in the rest of life and cycling is my escape. One of the things I like about touring is that everything comes down to getting over the next hill, finding the next meal and place to stay. That is all more acute when you are on your own.

geocycle

« Reply #253 on: July 13, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »

Dan. (...who is headed toward Strausbourg tomorrow)

You crossing the Vosges? There are some serious climbs! I like Strasbourg wonderful buildings but the food is about 90% pork... It's well served by fantastic flat cycle routes.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #254 on: July 13, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »
Agreed apart from the eating less bit,

I camp so eating is very simple and I'm so occupied that Itend not to snack so much.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.