Author Topic: My Thorn Mercury  (Read 4771 times)

StuG

My Thorn Mercury
« on: January 18, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
Hi All, 
My first entry on the Forum and I would just like to introduce myself and my new bike.

I deliberated long and hard about a new bike after selling my Pinarello Galileo ; I just needed something more forgiving but still relatively light and fast and I sure haven't been disappointed. The Thorn is a superb ride, and I am looking forward to many hours in the saddle.

I have now owned my Thorn Mercury (520L) with the superb Rohloff Hub for approximately 100 days and no I'm not sending it back, I'm certainly a very delighted and satisfied customer. Many thanks to all at SJS for building me a great machine and special thanks to Lisa Parsons who guided me through the purchase.

Brief bike Spec :-   Thorn Mercury Frame 520L in Gunmetal (great finish),   Thorn 853c Forks, Wheels: DT Swiss RR465 F rim on Hope hub  ,X470 disc rear rim Rohloff hub , shod with Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech 28c tyres. Thorn Narrow Flat bars, Ergon GP5 Grips. Thorn 130 PCD chainset 165mm cranks ,45t Chainring, Rohloff 19t rear hub. Brooks b17 saddle, Speedplay Frog pedals,and a tubus fly rack .

Stew

geocycle

Re: My Thorn Mercury
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum! What an entry! It's great to hear from mercury owners as they are still not well known.  It will be interesting to know more about the type of riding you intend to use it for. The grey and red works well together.

ians

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
Hi

that is a great looking bike.  Wow.

jags

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »
Whats with the crud mudguards is there no clearence for say sks  just curious, also i see there a disc on the rear, sorry Stew i'm just been picky your new mercury is a beauty ;love the colour.

so is this going to be your do it all bike. ;)
love to see a few more photos if you don't mind.

jags.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:39:06 PM by jags »

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »
Welcome Stew, and your bike too!  Very spiffy, and how nice to be able to ride it in mid-January.  (-10 here in Ottawa this morning, ice everywhere from the recent thaw + freeze, which has, er, iced even skiing.)  :-(

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »
Welcome.
I am sure you will be in good company on the forum. I have learnt so much from the folks here.
A Raven man myself - but can appreciate a good looking bike when I see one - and yours is certainly an eye catcher.
More pictures please - when you have time

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Stu, and many thanks for sharing photos of your lovely new ride -- that Mercury of yours is a corker!

Worth going back for another look-see and another again, as it is a bike-and-a-half.

Nice to have you with us. Best wishes for many happy journeys; may you have you already have the wings of Mercury to make it "happen"!  ;D

Dan.

Swislon

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
Welcome Stu,

Great to see a Mercury not many owners/photos on the Forum.
keep them coming and enjoy

Chris M

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:25:52 PM »
That's a good looking machine, I'm sure you'll have many happy miles on it.

Donnydid

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
Welcome Stu, great bike, I love the colour!

StuG

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:17:19 AM »
Hello All,
Thanks for all the comments;  my Mercury is my main bike, a do it all machine. A few Sportive/Audax  events, w/e  b&b/hostal  trips and for just wandering around the lanes of my native Brecon Beacons.

The crud mudguards where fitted as I had them in the shed and although they are for smaller size tyres, they seem to work, sks will fit but tight on the front fork, so I'm told.

I have noticed there are very few Mercury owners on the forum, where are you all ?  I'll try and get a few more pics of my Mercury once I've edited and reduced the files size of the photos.
 Well the early morning mist /fog has lifted, so I'm off out --- on the bike.

Stew

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
i reckon theres only a hanfull of mercury owners on the forum Stew so you have us all to yourself ,so keep posting pics .

StuG

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
  Hi,
A couple more photos, taken yesterday, while out on a ride. Brilliant weather, but lots of surface water around, also many other cyclists taking advantage of the break in this dreadful weather we have had just recently.

Cheers  Stew

geocycle

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
Looks good, thanks for sharing.  Hope you are enjoying the new bike riding experience.

What front brake is that?  Also is there a reason for angling the rack forwards rather than horizontal -heel clearance?

StuG

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
Hi geocycle

The front brake is a Shimano BR-R451, 57mm deep drop caliper, fitted as standard to the Thorn 853c fork.
As for the rack; it is a tubus fly and I have it deliberately at an angle not only for heal clearance, but to allow me to fit my Altura Arran post bag, when not using panniers.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers Stew