Author Topic: Split Cables  (Read 2150 times)

superfinlay

Split Cables
« on: June 27, 2006, 02:30:40 PM »
I've had my Raven Enduro for about 4 months now.  Fantastic bike, loving the simplicity.  Only one initial, but minor problem with loosening BB (just tightened the screws more), getting used to easing off a bit more on the pedals before changing (although still slightly annoying when I'm getting carried away and forget, ending up in 14th, it CAN'T change under pressure as some seem to suggest is possible), the gears are getting quieter (although 7 is still a little industrial) otherwise the overall impression is of a zen-like lack of chain-slap.

Getting to the point - both gear cables on my bike have split directly in front of the guides on the head tube, despite being plenty long enough.  The inners are beginning to corrode and shifting performance does not appear to be as fresh.  Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and whether anyone has tried aluminium NOKON cables, these would appear to be a good solution if they are compatible with the Rohloff.

Regards,

Alex

davefife

Re: Split Cables
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »
I had exactly the same split at this point but only on one cable outer, i received my Raven Sport Tour at the end of Feb and this occured at 4 weeks use approx 150 miles.  I took a photo of the split and emailed the shop, they sent out 3 metres of outer straight away for me to replace.  I will forward this thread to the shop as it may be something they should be aware of. btw the replacement sent was shimano where the one that split appeared to be unbranded.

Would welcome others comments/experience.
best regards
David

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Split Cables
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 05:05:01 PM »
I have being using shimano gear outer - no problems what so ever after 2000 miles.  Is it brake or gear outer that you are using?  Brake is supposedly more reliable (I use gear).  I would love the Nokon cables but can't justify the £80+ price tag.