Author Topic: Il padrone spotted in the wild  (Read 17880 times)

onmybike

Il padrone spotted in the wild
« on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:49 am »
You know how it goes... You don't see another touring cyclist for a week, then suddenly seven of them come along at once.

Il padrone is second from the right. His yellow Thorn has been trained well and stands on it's own. Encountered this mob a few days ago just outside the Alpine National Park near Benambra, Victoria, AU.

jags

Re: Il padrone spotted in the wild
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 10:11:43 am »
happy days look at that sky,everyone well loaded up what is the story there.
great pic.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:17 am »
...what is the story there.
Right here, jags: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7977.msg52703#msg52703

Best,

Dan.

onmybike

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 10:37:56 am »
I believe it's a week long group ride for the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club. It goes through some pretty remote country so a bit of food and camping gear needs to be carried. On my own trip in the region I've just gone a week between shops.

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:25:29 pm »
what a country seriously love to go touring in a group like that ,at the moment here in rain drench ireland the sky is black it hasn't stopp lashing rain all day long,.my son is in new zwland this past 2 months having a ball and loving the weather hes due back here in a few weeks hah don't think he will hang aroung to long.
happy trails boy's enjoy your touring soak up that sun.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 12:53:04 am »
Well hey! Back again, great tour.

That was Benambra and Tim (a Gippsland local riding with us) tells us that Benambra is "big hat country". The Omeo folks also refer to Benambra as "Benanza"  ;)

Yes, it was a surprise to see a cyclist ahead ("Did Matthew get ahead of me or something???") and great to meet up with a fellow forum poster - from the Thorn Forum - even rarer than local forumers. BTW, at the moment of this meeting, amongst eight cyclists we had five Rohloffs and one absentee Rohloff  :D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:00:10 am by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:18 am »
In NZ now on tour with a group of 9 others. About to hit Rotorua tomorrow for two nights. A day of geysers and Maori hangis. Then we are heading on to Tauranga and the Coromandel.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »
Jealous! Fantastic riding country.

Safe travels,
Sam

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »
Great pictures.

Is there a collective name for a group of touring cyclists?

Keep it clean folks.....
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 02:23:45 pm »
How about a "pride of peddlers", a "clutch of cyclists", a "lodge of lycrans" or a "welter of wheelmen"?

Lame, I know... But it is 1:22am, so I'm not firing on all cylinders.

I'm sure I missed a few...

:)

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 04:54:53 am »
a chain of cyclists?  a church of Rohloffistas?  a wheel of riders?  (This early-January heat is making me dizzy...)

jags

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 03:59:17 pm »
gang of geeks  ;D ;D

in4

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:45:23 pm »
I'm currently in The NT and it's hot here, but not as hot as Vic these past few weeks. Scorchio!
That is one very laden Nomad. I'm musing on riding part of The Savannah Way hence my keen eye on the amount of luggage being carried, particularly water.
How about a Veneration of Velos :)?

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:07:18 am »
Here in my part of Spain the local people abhor silence. A group of cyclists may be heard at considerable distance over the marismas (marshes) chattering loudly, all at once, non-stop. They compete with migrating geese overhead. So I propose an Iberian variant: a 'gaggle of ciclistas'.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:11:05 am by rafiki »
Brian.

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 01:45:00 pm »
:)

Pretty quiet here in Ottawa today, Brian -- we had 30 cms of snow overnight, so there are no vehicles on the streets as I write.  The CBC is interviewing people to see how/if they are getting around: one guy who usually bikes to work said that this week has been a bit dodgy, so today he skied to work -- "a glide of cyclists"?

The default today is certainly an "imbalance" or a "dearth", maybe even a "vacuum". 

This too will pass, however -- the calendar says that spring is just 5 weeks away...