Author Topic: Ergon GP5 on comfort bars  (Read 3011 times)

strictnaturist

Ergon GP5 on comfort bars
« on: December 16, 2013, 07:57:39 pm »
Dear folks, for my new year overhaul of the Sherpa, I am considering, amongst other things, getting a pair of the Ergon GP5 grips. I currently run with Ergon GP1 and love them. Would the GP5 be overkill on Thorn's comfort bars? Looking at them online, they protrude inwards slightly, which I like as I think straight bar ends on the comfort bars might poke out too much ripping sleeves off unsuspecting pedestrians or mirrors off cars ;D
Anyone out there with the comfort and GP5 combo?
cheers
Eddie

geocycle

Re: Ergon GP5 on comfort bars
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:57:36 am »
I had this combo for a while and it works OK.  But, they do give a very wide bar which depending on the width of your shoulders might be too much and the angle is a bit splayed out.  I swapped for the track bars which can be cut down more easily.  IME the track bars work better with GR5's than the comfort bars.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:34:47 pm »
I've got GP5s on riser bars (not Thorn) on my GT MTB-commuter conversion, and found them overkill. So much so, that when it came time to build my Nomad, I went with GP2s. They're much shorter, but still give an alternative hand position.

My wife has GP1s on Thorn CBs. I accidentally ordered a pair of GP3s in her size, but she won't let me put them on her bike!m ::)

Swislon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 01:09:38 pm »
My wife has comfort bars with GP1s and they would be too wide with GP5s in my opinion.
When I had my RST i loved the comfort bars and didn't need any bar ends myself.

Like geocycle i think flatter, narrower bars would work better with GP5s.

strictnaturist

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:06:08 pm »
Thanks for your advise guys.
Might just stick with the bars as is.
cheers

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:22:20 pm »
Agree. I did a 3 month tour this summer with the GP1 BioKork bars on Thorn Comfort Bars. No problems. Never felt the need to change hand position at all!

I have a bar end mirror that does not work with anything other than the GP1s. I think the mirror was more useful on the tour.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:24:04 pm by StuntPilot »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 09:16:57 pm »
I have a bar end mirror that does not work with anything other than the GP1s. I think the mirror was more useful on the tour.

Mind if I ask which mirror you're using? Finding a good mirror (robust, unobtrusive, good quality, sufficiently convex, etc.) is my mission of the moment.

Thanks!

julk

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »
SS,
On my Thorn I use GP1s and a B&M Star mirror
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-cycle-star-mirror-fits-to-handlebar-end-short-curved-stem-prod16566/

On my Brompton I use cut short GX1s and a Zefal mirror (because it folds very neatly)
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/zefal-zefal-dooback-mirror-right-hand-black-prod14283/

I hope this helps.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 11:06:12 am »
Hi Slammin'!

I am using the Mountain Mirrycle mirror. I did have a Cateye previously but found the angle of view not as good. The Mountain Myrrycle is a bit larger and has a good glass mirror. Field of view is excellent and highly adjustable.

This summer it was subjected to three months of use and abuse, banging against walls and gateposts. The bike fell over a few times and landed on the mirror. It did crack but I was impressed that the mirror remained intact and usable for the rest of the tour. The plastic is of very high quality and very strong.

On returning home, I ordered a replacement mirror only rather than buying a complete new mirror.

http://www.mirrycle.com/mountain_mirrycle.php

I would recommend it for touring. I would probably fit two to a commuter bike for added safety.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 11:54:57 am »
B&M Cyclestar mirrors are now available with a larger 80mm diameter mirror

Quote from: Peter White
The various "901" Cycle Star mirrors are convex and 55mm in diameter. New for 2013, we have a larger mirror available. The Cycle Star 80 903 series mirrors use the same mounting system and arm options, but the mirror is about 81mm in diameter; also convex.

The curve or radius of the new 903 mirror is a bit less than the radius of the 901. In other words, while the 903 is still a convex mirror, it's slightly less convex than the 901. With the 903 series, you see a wider field of view, and, the size of the image is larger.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:56:33 am by il padrone »