Author Topic: Tyre dilemma  (Read 5398 times)

phopwood

Re: Tyre dilemma
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 11:38:03 am »
Everyone thanks for your replies, I have a friend who has a set of Marathon Supreme 26/1.6 so at some point we will put these on my Sherpa and see if that makes any difference, I will keep you all informed.

Relayer talked about drag of a Rohloff in his post, I am not convinced this would make much of a difference as it is a friction drag, so I did a little test, I took of my chain and span the wheel by hand spins well, free and fast, I then did the same but this time I left the wheel spinning for a few seconds and then stopped the sprocket rotating. And the wheel visibly slowed down, this point towards friction drag which I would expect to clear over time.

But again I am not concerned about my Rohloff love it to bits.

All the best and Happy Christmas.

Peter

phopwood

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 01:57:23 pm »
Boys and girls since my last post my speed has been dropping and my bike felt more and more like the brake was stuck on.    So on Saturday I took a close look and the culpret is ( drum roll ) the bottom bracket,  I only replaced it a few months ago,  it is a shimarno square tapper one, the new one it is about 10 years old but never been used just sat in the box in the gararge.  So it turns smooth but very hard to turn, no bearing noise no play that I can detect just very stiff. 

Replaced it and my bike is back to how it was, I have never been heavy on bottom brackets.

Peter.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 02:19:54 pm »
Good work, figuring that out! I suppose one can spin the cranks with the chain removed to get an idea if the bearings are working well, but to get to that point... a lot of sleuthing!

Happy New Year, happy new riding!

phopwood

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 03:09:49 pm »
Jim,

Like every thing in life, it was obvious once found.  So I am much happier now.  Now when I spin the cranks with the chain off they spin fast for a long time and smooth.  Before I was lucky to get half a turn.

Happy new year.

Peter

Relayer

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2013, 03:53:49 pm »
Hi Peter
I'm so glad you got to the bottom of that problem  ;)
And you are correct, your Rohloff will loosen up before too long.
Happy cycling, and a Happy New Year.
Jim

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:28 pm »
Wonderful news, Peter, and so kind of you to report back with the solution. These things really help others down the road...

All the best,

Dan.