Author Topic: Fred Dered's Finished Bike  (Read 15955 times)

freddered

Fred Dered's Finished Bike
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:35:59 pm »
OK, the 100 days are up.
The Raven Tour is officially mine.  That meant I could spend a bit on the Panniers I have been craving.

Here is the finished article:
(Note.  I bought one of those new discreet Prop Stands from Adobe Photoshop (mentioned elsewhere in the member's gallery), they are superb.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:11:02 pm by freddered »

freddered

Re: Fred Dered's Finished Bike
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:09:12 pm »
IT'S FINISHED!  IT'S FINISHED! IT'S FINISHED!

Carradice Barley Saddlebag arrived this morning.

After 1 Year and 1 Month I have finally run out of things I genuinely need to buy.  It's cost me a lot of money (although less than some people spend) because I bought what I thought were the best things for the job.

- Thorn Raven Tour
- Additional Winter Wheel - with Schmidt SON Dynohub
- Solidlights
- Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus Panniers
- Carradice Barley Saddlebag

For those people who appreciate a Comfy Tourer, Weekend leisure bike, Commuter Hack, Audaxer all rolled into the one bike (I'm sure the Road Race folks will think this is a Carthorse) ...feast your eyes on my finished bike...

Note.  I had to do some bloody maintenance on it last week, add 15ml of oil to Hub...that's it until Feb 2008 now  ;D

OK, That's enough.  It's done, finished, completed.  no more photos.

I Love it when a plan comes together.

PH

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:00:54 pm »
Very nice Fred, all quality kit. I'll look out for it on Audaxs.
It took me about a year to get mine just right, that hasn't stopped me experimenting with different kit, presently awaiting the release of Thorn ergo bar ends...
Your photos are a good reference for anyone asking about the range of acceptable chain tension[;)]

freddered

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:25:36 pm »
I like the sound the chain makes as it drags along the road and it acts like Tank Tracks over rough ground.

Actually, I changed the chain well before time because of an annoying clicking.  The clinking is gone but the Wipperman chain (supposedly Hub specific) stretched almost overnight.  Quite disappointed with it.  I hope it is just initial stretch and will be better from now on.

Will be Audaxing around Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset in April/May.

PH

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 11:25:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by freddered

Actually, I changed the chain well before time because of an annoying clicking.  The clinking is gone but the Wipperman chain (supposedly Hub specific) stretched almost overnight.  Quite disappointed with it.  I hope it is just initial stretch and will be better from now on.

I have the same chain, reccomended by a LBS who do quality BMX stuff.
Had to remove half a link after a weeks commuting (160 miles) and adjust again at about 500 miles.  I've done around a thousand miles since and it's a bit slacker but still OK.  It does clean up well, no pitting like on the SRAM, time will tell.

quote:
Will be Audaxing around Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset in April/May

I don't often venture that far south.
The only times I plan to use my Raven for Audax will be when combined with camping.  
Dr Fosters from Newport.
Mildenhall Rally.
Lincoln cyclists weekend
And a couple more if time permits.