Author Topic: Son 28 or Son Deluxe?  (Read 11169 times)

Swislon

Son 28 or Son Deluxe?
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:13 pm »
Hi guys,

Would the main reason to choose a Son 28 over the Deluxe be if you wanted to charge your gadgets on the move?

I will be riding full day rides and hopefully tours in the future. The tours however will not include much camping as my wife doesn't think camping is a holiday!
I expect we will be able to recharge our GPS, phone etc in the evenings.

Steve

triaesthete

Re: Son 28 or Son Deluxe?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:32:01 pm »
Hi Steve

I believe you mentioned some off road use as a possibility for your new Club tour.  On that basis alone I would use the Son 28 because:
1, it has a steel axle (delux is alloy)  
2, it has wider flange spacing than the delux so building into a stronger wheel
3, it has slightly better low (very low) speed output for nightime off road and grovelling home at the end of a long day
4, it's not much heavier either and is a noticable improvement on the old 28 klassik to boot.

But then Andre will be along shortly to tell you to stop being a fool and buy a Shimano instead  ;)

If you want to be really posh Jan Heine has had Schmidt produce a  28/Delux  hybrid for the absolute best of both  http://www.compasscycle.com/lighting_delux_widebody.html

Happy shopping
Ian
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:27:48 pm by triaesthete »

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:28:59 pm »
By steel spindle do you mean the axle or the skewer?

Whatever anyway, an alloy one sounds like a very poor choice for rough stuff touring IMHO. Get the SON28

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:29 pm »
Steve,

If you're going to be riding at touring speeds *and* charging, go with the standard SON28, New or Klassik.

The Deluxe is really intended for high-speed use where you won't be generating enough power to charge much of anything unless you're going at a good clip. For LED lighting alone, it is fine at pretty much any speed, but will be a disappointment at generally slower speeds if your intended use is charging.

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:30:41 pm »
I agree. The Son 28 New or Klassik. I have just this week fitted a new wheel with the Son 28 Klassik and it is fantastic. The main reason I went for the Klassik over the Son 28 New was the aesthetics. Having a Rohloff, the Klassik matches the Rohloff hub design.

I also think the Klassik is a 'Classic' and has a longer pedigree amongst touring cyclists. It is well proven over distance and time.

If I was fitting a non-Rohloff bike, I would probably go for the Son 28 New due to the improvements made over the Klassik (such as slightly less drag).

I would go for the Delux on a faster commuting bike where dynamo lights were the main use.

Swislon

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
Thanks for input guys.
I always go at touring speed, even on an audax i'm not usually in a hurry…
I suppose with more miles in my legs I might get up a head of steam but the intention with this new bike
is a bit of roughstuff, a bit of touring, winter riding and more relaxed day rides.
If it is as comfortable as i think it will be then it might become my go to bike.

I don't believe I'll be doing much charging on the move but definitely some "grovelling home at the end of a long day"!
So does look like the Son 28

Cheers
Steve

Now whats next on my shopping list…..?

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:37:15 pm »

Pete I meant the axle. Thanks for proofreading. Post edited.

I have been fortunate enough to acquire all three of these Schmidt wonders over the last few years and they are all very good, but the new 28 has such a fine balance of qualities it would be hard for me to justify fitting anything else to n+1......

Happy nights (especially the really dark ones).
Ian

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:20:30 am »
But then Andre will be along shortly to tell you to stop being a fool and buy a Shimano instead  ;)

Heh-heh. Not only Shimano but also Shutter Precision are viable alternatives at a much better price point.

martinf

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 05:01:04 pm »
Got my first non-SON hub generator recently.

A Shimano WH-3N71 ready built into a 700C rim, sold for 45 Euros as NOS by my LBS, who had it on display for at least a couple of years.

With no lights attached, I can't tell the difference with my SON, so a vast improvement on the Shimano hub generators I looked at several years ago.

WH-3N71 seems to be about equivalent to the current DH-3N72 model. Left side bearing is cup and cone and seviceable, haven't attempted dismantling further.