Author Topic: Stylistic choices - your thoughts  (Read 3526 times)

honesty

Stylistic choices - your thoughts
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:11 am »
OK, this is a little shallow (and maybe a just a little tongue in cheek) ;D

This is my bike (though it now has a brown Brooks with copper rivets to sort of match the bar tape)

Im thinking of changing the bottle cages as the blue doesnt match. I'm split between 2 now.
This one http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k122/a1127/bottle-cage-ciussi-black.html - the black cage fits with the bikes black and blue asthetic, but Im not sure how the yellow buttons on it will stand out.
Or this one http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k122/a3644/bottle-cage-ciussi-inox.html - the copper buttons match the to copper rivets on the saddle and the red backs to them pick up the red highlights throughout the bike, but it does introduce more bare metal onto the bike, though it is supposed to be a more titanium look in real life, and not as shiny as in the photo here.

leftpoole

Re: Stylistic choices - your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:30:04 am »
OK, this is a little shallow (and maybe a just a little tongue in cheek) ;D

This is my bike (though it now has a brown Brooks with copper rivets to sort of match the bar tape)

Im thinking of changing the bottle cages as the blue doesnt match. I'm split between 2 now.
This one http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k122/a1127/bottle-cage-ciussi-black.html - the black cage fits with the bikes black and blue asthetic, but Im not sure how the yellow buttons on it will stand out.
Or this one http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k122/a3644/bottle-cage-ciussi-inox.html - the copper buttons match the to copper rivets on the saddle and the red backs to them pick up the red highlights throughout the bike, but it does introduce more bare metal onto the bike, though it is supposed to be a more titanium look in real life, and not as shiny as in the photo here.

Honestly,??
Shallow?
Black is always best.
John

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:19:40 am »
ok first thing i noticed is the bartape has to go you need blue fizik bartape  really good and great colour,  the cages i would be going for chrome.other than that
man oh man i want that bike class. ;)

honesty

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:44 am »
I'm almost (95%) sure I'm going to get some Brooks brown bar tape to re-wrap the bars when I get the new bottle cages.

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 11:59:17 am »
I'd go with the plain black cages.

jags

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »
i hated the brooks bartape on the sherpa .
the fizik bartape is the best ive ever used tough as old boots and comfy.
the reason i said wire cages chrome they can be squeezed to make a better fit for bidon and they look super cool.
but its your baby at the end of the day and no matter what you choose it's gonna look fantastic.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:49:20 pm »
You've already got blue, black and a solid block of red on the pannier. You don't want to introduce another color, especially not yellow, even in small patches. What you need is a plain black bottle cage, or a black one with at most a matching red accent.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
OK, this is a little shallow
Shallow? Not at all! This from the man who -- having (re)sprayed his tandem could not find matching bottle cages and racks in just the same shade of Mercedes-Benz Glasurit red -- decided the only route was to paint 'em to match. Result was all-red with black and silver components and frame transfers.

Black is so much easier! Even so, my Nomad has some silver (transfers, rim sidewalls, spokes) and there's touches of red, for a total of three colors. Black is still the dominant theme, to the point of appearing monochromatic.

I would go with black for the bottle cages as Andre suggests to avoid too many colors. A bicycle isn't a huge canvas, and too many disparate colors can come to look too 'busy". I would also go with black handlebar tape to match a black saddle or a truly matching brown if you stay with the brown saddle.

In general, I prefer no more than four different colors on a bike: Black and silver for components, then the color of the frame either self-colored (a single, uniform color) or with contrasting bands/transfers. My fav'rite blue rando bike is in two shades of blue with black and silver components. Another of my rando bikes is pearlized maroon with silver/chrome components, and creme lettering with brown saddle and handlebars. Both came out okay, but I wouldn't want to introduce yet another color.

Lovely, lovely bike you have there, no matter the colors.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:07:21 pm by Danneaux »

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »
Black is always best.

Tend to agree,  and black would tie in with your fork blades, stem, seat post, rims etc .....

sdg.

honesty

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »
choice made. things bought. photos to follow!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 07:59:00 pm »
choice made. things bought. photos to follow!
The Thorn Forum Motto™...and music to our collective ears.

Well done!  ;D

Best,

Dan. (...who is eagerly awaiting)

honesty

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 08:14:31 pm »
not bought this time, but in a few months before I do some more B&B touring, a tubus airy...

jags

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19:31 pm »
glad you went with my plan ;D ;D

energyman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »
Once you have the bicycle colour scheme finalised please please consider your own apparel as it would ruin the whole effect if your shoes or tights clashed with the bottle cages etc !. :D ;D ;D ;D

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 10:04:50 pm »
i'm usually decked out in blue. ::)