Author Topic: Frame numbers  (Read 2253 times)

Matt2matt2002

Frame numbers
« on: November 17, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
Great to see the thread recording Rohloff hub numbers.
Ashamed to say I do not have mine recorded on my computer but as soon as I can check it out,my number will be added to the list.

Just wondered if a similar list would be of use showing frame numbers?
I think this may have been answered some time ago, but the consensus opinion escapes me.

Just a thought
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Frame numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 05:57:05 PM »
Great to see the thread recording Rohloff hub numbers...Just wondered if a similar list would be of use showing frame numbers?
<nods> I proposed something similar in terms of a Thorn Serials Registry with an eye toward theft prevention/recovery/preventing resale of stolen bikes, detailed here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3788.0
I think this may have been answered some time ago, but the consensus opinion escapes me.
There were concerns it might comprise a "shopping list for thieves" if too much detail was included. My initial thought was if the bike's serial and a description with photos was included, it might actually prove helpful in post-theft recovery ("Look officer; pics and full description online"), but things vary by location and there are some cautions by police and insurance companies if the bike's serial appears openly online.

It wouldn't be much good if it proved more hindrance than help.  :-\

The more casual Rohloff hub listing is easy to do 'cos despite variations, there is basically just one model/serial.

To do the same with Thorn bike serials, you'd have to break it down by model and it would get unwieldy pretty quickly.

Always open to suggestions, though.  ;D

All the best,

Dan.