Author Topic: Spoke size Rohloff and Rigida Andra 30  (Read 10830 times)

triaesthete

Re: Spoke size Rohloff and Rigida Andra 30
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32:29 pm »
Roger M's advice:
"Rim manufacturers often provide the ERD but you should never use it because the ERD is not a strictly defined term and I’ve seen far too many errors to trust ERD data from any source. You should always measure the ERD yourself since the ERD has the biggest effect in spoke length calculations".

Not simple but it is straightforward. Give the man £9, you won't be disappointed. I've just had my free updated e copy as well. Makes all the other wheelbuilding books look absurdly overpriced. (No ties just a VERY happy customer).

True days
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 07:43:06 pm »
Hi Peter!

You may wish to fire off an email inquiry to SJS Cycles to confirm before orderig a given size. Except in rare instances where something might be overlooked in the press of business, they're really good about answering inquiries quickly and accurately, usually based on firsthand workshop experience.

Best of luck on your wheel-build. Per Ian's comment, there's few things I enjoy more for achieving "zenlike levels of calm". House on fire? It's irie; I'm lacing and truing here...

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:53 am »
If you are ordering the spokes from SJS and using 32H Rohloff on Andra 30 rim, ask SJS what spoke length they would use.  I am sure they build up a lot of those wheels.

In case nobody warned you yet, when you get the rims they probably will say Ryde instead of Rigida on them.  Company name change.  Dan posted something on this forum if you want more detail.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:23:37 am »
In case nobody warned you yet, when you get the rims they probably will say Ryde instead of Rigida on them.  Company name change.  Dan posted something on this forum if you want more detail.
Yep; right here, mickeg: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3571.0

Best,

Dan.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »
We build tons of them, 238mm spokes, 14mm nipples.

Hope this helps.

phopwood

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »
Dave,

Many thanks, I just emailed SJS and that is the exact answer I got.

All the best.

Peter

triaesthete

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 09:25:57 pm »

It all makes sense when you see the spoke calculators quoted above default /assume 12mm  nipples.....and therefore suggest 2mm longer spokes  :P

All the Sapim spokes I've purchased came with 12mm nipples BTW.

Ian

mickeg

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 10:48:20 pm »
I am in USA, Sapim spokes are not very common here.  I used Wheelsmith spokes and Sapim nipples.

phopwood

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
All my parts have arrived so this weekend I will be building my wheel and converting my Sherpa wish me luck.

I looked in the Rohloff documentation and they have a formula for working out spoke length, the formula has some constants in it which must have been worked out by Rohloff.  I also measured my rim ERD using the method in the wheelpro PDF, the ERD come out at 537mm if you use this ERD and the Rohloff formula the spoke length comes out at 237.7mm which is the same as per the SJS recommendation and also the Rohloff recommendation for this Rim.

You can find the formula here on page 25 http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/1_General_use_En_2013_10_web.pdf

All the best.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 05:13:28 pm »
Very good Peter; thanks for the followup to the Forum.

All good luck your way on the build. I feel sure it'll go fine for you and we'll have another self-build convert in our ranks. A great way to relax and let time flow!

All the best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:22 pm »
Hi Peter

I bet you feel better for having done the "due diligence" checks yourself. Interesting how your ERD came up differently from the Thorn/Rigida quoted figure and is more likely correct....

With the small rounding up to 238 you should get a build that comes up to tension more slowly and predictably. Ideal scenario for a novice.

Have fun
Ian

phopwood

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 10:48:47 pm »
The wheel is laced and tensioned, I will assemble the rest on to the bike tomorrow.

Ian you are correct the tension took a while to take and was as you say easy to control.  I followed the lacing guide in the rohloff document.

So if you are building a Rohloff and Rigida Andra 30 32 hole rim you need 238mm spokes with 14mm nipples.

All test best.
Peter