Author Topic: My new dream build.....Audax by Thorn of course  (Read 16156 times)

Blue lotus

Re: My new dream build.....Audax by Thorn of course
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
Very very nice bike DrJim !!

Any special place where you get your bits from?

jags

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
As you can see I am a happy owner......

class. 8)

DrJim

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »
First....pumpkin pie and Audax go really well together......I do chocolate pies instead and the audax is my savior. The nomad is a beast with all the 17 degree hills we have around here...... you can see by the photo that I have a few pounds to shed...though my wife says I look sexier with the tight bike shorts and shirts.

Second:....It seems Planet Cycles have great prices for the Campy gear...I just purchased another 12-30 disk for my lighter campy wheels for half the price of many other places.....service is good.....Since the last month it seems their prices are besting all others....of course I live in the States so there are a number of great prices to be had on your side of the pond.  I have to admit though when the parts are available from Thorn/SJS, I have usually used them.....loyalty I guess.
James H. Oppenheim, DC, MPH

DrJim

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 09:04:08 PM »
Here is the beauty (vs the Nomad as the beast)...on it's first Bagel run.......Einstein Bagels to get a bakers dozen...chocolate chip and everything bagels (out of pumpernickel). yummm and a wonderful ride as a bonus.....This is  a dream commuter.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:30 PM »
Just lovely, Jim.

I can't imagine a better Bagel Getter, and you've got me drooling with the descriptions. Hope you got some spare in onion and "everything"!

The new cranks look fantastic, and a real treat to see the off-side; finished just as nicely as the drive side.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
oh how i would love that bike solve all my cycling problems. ;)

DrJim

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
It is a keeper....looks like the Nomad is going to get some rest for awhile. It goes to Myrtle Beach for single track  dirt riding at the Meher Baba Spiritual Center in December...So it will be time to put on the Schwalbe Marathon Extremes, take off the blue light and enjoy the 500 acres of virgin forest right on the beach....in the meantime.....the Audax is making my commute so much more enjoyable whether cold or hot.....even the 17 degree hills don't bother me so much.....and of course it oozes class.....LBS loves it.....These guys should sell their bikes on this side of the pond..They are in a class by themselves....do I sound a wee bit bias?

jags

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 04:31:59 PM »
just a tad  ;D ;D
yeah gonna try and get one next year.
whats the biggest tyre it will take just in case i ever take it off road.

DrJim

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »
I believe it will handle a 32 without mudguards....28 with, that is with the steel forks...the carbon forks will only handle a 25.....they have it on the web and of course Andy B can give you the final word  on that.

honesty

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
Having just asked this question of Andy at Thorn, the largest you can fit in the 853c steel fork is a 32c slick tyre with mudguards, but only some - narrow - 32c tyres.

leftpoole

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »
Having just asked this question of Andy at Thorn, the largest you can fit in the 853c steel fork is a 32c slick tyre with mudguards, but only some - narrow - 32c tyres.

Hello!
You do not need to ask anyone at Thorn, just look at my bikes.
The Black Audax is fitted with Continental Top Touring 200 32c tyres.
http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/blackmk3audax

Regards,
John

DrJim

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »
You have three Audax's? They are beautiful.

jags

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 06:01:37 PM »
yeah imagin that not one but three should be a law against that.and here am i struggling to buy a feckin inner tube.no justice in this world none. ;) ;D :'(

DrJim

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
So let's see.....sell one Audax...buy about 350 inner tubes...HA!    Same reason I don't sell my Thorn Nomad even thought it would lower my debt load considerably and free up some cash flow......sell the Nomad? NEVER!

leftpoole

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:15 PM »
yeah imagin that not one but three should be a law against that.and here am i struggling to buy a feckin inner tube.no justice in this world none. ;) ;D :'(

Hello jags!
Sorry to have a Blue Audax and a red Audax plus a black Audax, also a green Club Tour!
However in retrospect, I sold four Thorn bikes a few years ago because of health. I am not in great shape now, but Credit Card willing (?) I bought and rebuilt my 'fleet'. I also have a white Brompton.

It is all a bit silly really, because I wanted another Club Tour in blue (no longer made) and a Summer Audax plus a Winter Audax. The black Audax is sheer indulgence whilst I am still able to enjoy at least some of my life.
Chin up, it all goes around and around!
I love your take on the Irish songs!!
If it is any consolation, I only ride one at a time! I have not yet ridden the black one because the weather here although warm, is a bit damp dismal and the roads are dirty. I will most likely ride it in Springtime.
Best,
John
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:03:32 PM by leftpoole »