Author Topic: Mini Tour Isle of Wight  (Read 2191 times)

DONE

Mini Tour Isle of Wight
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:01:11 am »
Just had a few days on a mini tour of the Isle of Wight on my Thorn Nomad. Only 60 km per day, but some quite challenging terrain encountered. Making the most of the last few rays of summer before the cold autumn days arrive.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Mini Tour Isle of Wight
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:58 am »
My, Don, your yellow Nomad with those yellow Ortliebs at the beach...just an exquisite combination!

What a treat to see. I wonder we we don't see more of the yellow-monochromatic look?

Thanks for sharing; so glad you had a chance to get away on-tour before the weather breaks for Winter.

Best,

Dan.

DONE

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:43:45 am »
Dan, The Yellow Ortliebs swapped over from my old blue Dawes Ultra Galaxy. If I was choosing again I might have gone for the red ones, but they just won't wear out! Still, I get lots of favourable comments, and they are easy to find in the evenings when camping.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:13 am »
Very nice. It'll be a hardy soul that'd go for a swim in that surf. Brrr. ;D

Don, if you don't mind my asking what frame size is your Nomad?

Robbie
I'm here, there and everywhere.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »
What a super bike. If and when the yellow Ortliebs wear out, I wonder if rather than red, orange or even tan Ortliebs won't be a better match to that fine Thorn yellow. Black or grey would go too, but are probably too conservative for the bike -- and the owner!

Very nice. It'll be a hardy soul that'd go for a swim in that surf. Brrr. ;D
Robbie

A few years ago I bought an old Bentley in England and, to be near the welders I used (the hotrodder Geoff Jago at Chichester) and the machinists I needed to rebuild the thing into a sports car, I took a house with a big garage at Hayling Island. Those were long days bent over W. O.'s innards, so every morning before dawn I went for a dip in that water to wake me up. On Sundays my wife and baby and I would go over to the Isle, opposite Hayling Island, and hike around a bit. Didn't have a bike then. Like Don says, some challenging ways, even on foot.

DONE

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:03:26 pm »
Hi Robbie, Its one of the now obsolete X Nomads, Frame size X540M. I'm 5'8".  I bought it after consulting with Andy Blance last year on a bike suitable for my needs - predominantly UK / European road / trail touring. I also use it for hacking around the Surrey Hills on the weekends. Not as slick and as fast as the carbon fibre boys in their racing Lycra, but if your happy to plod along at a reasonably brisk pace admiring the views, able to climb the steepest hills without getting out of the saddle it's a great bike. It also gets a lot of attention when you stop for coffee.
Don