Author Topic: what gps for Audax and Touring  (Read 14367 times)

jags

what gps for Audax and Touring
« on: October 09, 2013, 05:11:13 pm »
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/article/garmin-edge-touring-plus-first-look-38624/2 lads what do you think of this gps anyone got one.it's this or the etrek 20.
if i take up audax cycling next year i would like to be able to upload the intire route on  either of those gps units .so which would be best
and easiest to use of course

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
Re: what gps for Audax and Touring
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »
Jags - I have a Garmin 800 which is the model I understand the Tour version is based on.  If I have this correctly,  the Tour is an 800 base unit with none of the additional 'bundle items' so no extra mapping,  no extra memory card, no HRM and no Cadence sensor.

I had a quick look at the base unit maps on a Garmin show stand and decided I very much preferred the OS 1:50000 set which came in with one of the more expensive bundles.  I also went for the HRM and Cadence sensor - mostly because I like the analytical side of our Sunday Morning whizzy bike runs - but also because it was a good deal in a local bike shop.

On my Thorn I don't bother with a cadence sensor,  and sometimes not the HRM.

I guess the value of a bundled map set over the included base map is partly down to opinion and partly whatever is available for your part of the world.  When we went to Jersey in July I just downloaded a free map of the island and had no problems with that - quite how I would have got on downloading a much bigger area I don't know.

In use I find the screen is a little small for reading the map as I go along,  but the turn by turn directions are ok.  Just be sure to set them on for the route you are following. They  might not be on by default.  I turn the alarms off on mine as otherwise it buzzes & nags about cadence (too slow) HRM (too high) and off route when I take a detour.

I have used mine on SkyRides and would be happy to use it to follow a route I was unfamiliar with.

Garmin Connect (www site mapping utility) is not particularly friendly for route planning, but the after-ride route analysis is good, (just my opinion!)  I find map my ride or ride with GPS easier to use for planning routes.  Loading a route to the Garmin is easy - just copy the file into the new routes folder and it will be 'loaded' when you select it for the first time.  You can store several routes and so divide a tour into days etc. Probably worth checking the tour does have an extra memory card slot - just in case you want to store extra maps and/or routes.

I've not had any battery issues,  a normal 3 or 4 hour Sunday morning might get to ~60% charge from full.  I tend to swap screens quite often so I probably over use the battery.

Most of the mapping sites I have tried work well with routes stored in mine, so when I go out around a familiar loop I let it keep tabs on where I go and how fast and then review the data when I get back.  I tend to use Strava as, being an engineer, I have failed to grow up, act like a 10 year old (occasionally)  and there are a couple of local hills I like to test myself on .... que story re a visit to my GP about chest pains .... it was acid reflux, and he assured me I am quite healthy for my age, apart from a delusion about to racing my son up hills!

The non map displays can be extensively configured,  I have a couple with most of the data displayed,  and one with just three rows (Speed, Cadence, Heart Rate) that I can read without my glasses.  I use an extened mount on the whizzy bike,  so the unit sits in front of the stem/bar clamp bolts,  the included band-on plastic mounts are fine on the Thorn stem.

The only other niggle I can think of is the HRM and Cadence sensors occasionally double readings,  I can't actually pedal at 240rpm,  nor can my heart manage 225+BPM ;-)

I'm not sure how well this will work but this Sunday's figures are here:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386391477

This was a 'social' ride so I was not really 'going for it' ... honest!

hope that helps
sdg.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:21:06 pm by sdg_77 »

Cambirder

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:00 pm »
If you are planing on doing the longer audax rides (over 200km) then one issue is battery life, which is where the eTrex models come into their own.

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:30 pm »
Thanks lads i think my mind is made up on the etrek 20 i like the idea of  aa battery.
i have a polor heatrate monitor on my bike only use it for speed and distance the heart rate was doing my head in ;D ;D so dont use it anymore as for cadence i know how to pedal a bike ::)

my friend was selling me a 705 but i think he was asking a bit to much for it, so its a gps that gonna keep me on the right track i'm after no more than that.

peter jenkins

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 11:59:51 am »
Hi Anto,

I have had a Garmin 705 for about 4 years now and I find it pretty good for Audax.

It does everything I need in the way of routing and keeping me up to date with riding time/paused time/ average speed/gradient/HR and way too much other stuff and has a battery life of around 15 hours if I turn off the alerts and don't use the backlighting overly much.

We tend to use Bikely or bikeroutetoaster to plot routes and both are easy enough to use and to download courses to your GPS:

Here is an example of a bikeroutetoaster route

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=596570

As you can see, it also provides a cue sheet, which can be useful.

Bikely is very similar:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cycle-into-Spring

Other mapping programs are good as well. Log onto a couple and start plotting some routes. It's a lot of fun and it's free!

Cheers,

pj

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
I used it to record my daily track over three months this summer. Battery life (I used rechargeable eneloops) was good with at least two whole days, sometimes three days before recharging. In my experience thats about 24 hours of continual use.

The internal memory size is good too - 91 days of tracks took up only 21 Mb of space. Total internal memory is 1.7Gb. Specs here ...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor/handheld/etrex-30/prod87774.html

Wet weather use was not a problem. There were about 6 days of really heavy rain, many days of 36 Deg C and more, and some very humid conditions. It continued to work well even without a cover.

I went for the eTrex 30 which has the altitude function as it was not much more expensive. It is light, small and solidly built.

One more vote for the eTrex range!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:46:06 pm by StuntPilot »

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:27 pm »
If you do get the etrex jags, be aware that it is worthwhile getting lithium batteries for it - they give noticably greater battery life.

BTW anyone know why I could never find anylithium batteries in Italy? In Australia any supermarket will stock them. The best I could find in Italy was 'superalkaline' (never hear of this here, just alkaline).

jags

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:22 pm »
Thanks again lads amazing stuff gps,yeah i think i'm gonna go with etrek20 good price on it from handtec,have to wait a while though ::).
my buddy has now decided to keep his 705 can't blame him.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »
jags

Forgot to add ... it is a good idea to buy some screen protectors for your new Garmin. They don't cost much but are worth it as my Garmin eTrex 30 screen protector was totally scratched to bits after the tour but the screen is fine. I have just replaced the protector and it is as good as new.

The ones I used are here ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Anti-Scratch-Screen-Protectors-for-Garmin-eTrex-20-30-Display-Savers-/190638657594?

They work very well.

Cheers

PS: il padrone - I would not hesitate using the lithium batteries in really cold weather as they last a lot longer in those conditions. On a long tour they could become expensive. Re-chargeables are the best option I found for long-term touring.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:22:07 pm by StuntPilot »

jags

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:23:41 pm »
 ;) thanks again most appreciated.

il padrone

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:56 am »
PS: il padrone - I would not hesitate using the lithium batteries in really cold weather as they last a lot longer in those conditions. On a long tour they could become expensive. Re-chargeables are the best option I found for long-term touring.

My experience (even in temperate climes) has been that the lithiums last 1-2 days longer than Alkaline batteries. Rechargables tend to have even lower life between recharges I believe.

jags

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:07 am »
well i still haven't bought a gps bought a Down Quilt instead .i' know i'm a geek ;D ;D
my wife keeps reminding me our daughter is getting married in january and i'm gonna need every penny for that day.
why do women have to go a spoil us men's fun  ::)
i need that gps big time, why they can't understand that i'll never know.huh wait until i get lost then they will know i was right all along. ;)

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 02:02:54 am »
As noted above rechargeable AA batteries have shorter life than alkaline batteries.  So, I just make sure I carry enough batteries.  Most of my rechargeable batteries are about 10 years old, so lifespan is even shorter.

I am a firm believer in AA batteries for GPS, I would not want a GPS that had an internal Lithium Ion, I want to be able to change batteries on the road.

My GPS model is no longer made, my heart rate monitor is from a defunct company.  At least my bike computer on my latest build is from a company still in business.

FLORENCE

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:03:45 pm »
i have the edge touring and use garmin connect. its for all day rides at the moment and i have been very impressed with the maps, i have not needed to buy any. i have not had a garmin before my other gps (used only for geocaching) is the magellan eXplorist GC and the base maps are pretty poor.

jags

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:35:08 pm »
oh love to get my hands on that gps touring looks class.