Author Topic: Wheelie strange noise  (Read 1967 times)

Matt2matt2002

Wheelie strange noise
« on: September 25, 2013, 07:38:07 pm »
Running a Raven with CSS rims. Blue brake pads showing minimal wear. Can't have done more than 3,000 miles.
XTC v brakes
Front wheel appears to rub at one point on one side.
Starts off that way and after a couple of pulls on the brake levers, it appears to go away. Only to reappear later in the ride.

I have slackened off at the handlebar end but then that gives me too much slack over-all.
Had a look at the rims and all appears well.
Braking is fantastic, as would be expected.
Although, as some folks here have noted, in wet weather I tend to plan well ahead!!

A more thorough examination? What clues can you offer, folks?

Many thanks for your time.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Wheelie strange noise
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 07:44:01 pm »
Matt,

Assuming the wheel is true, I'd next check the tension on each of the front brake's arms. There's a little screw that presses on each of the v-brakes' linear springs, and that can sometimes cause an arm to go in and out of adjustment when braking and can cause periodic rubbing on one side.

In my experience, I have never found Shimano v-brake springs to have even tension from the factory, so usually start by backing off the screws evenly, then disengaging the springs from their little pegs and gently bending them so the tension is equal, then turning the screws inward as desired to set overall spring tension. Doing it this way ensures the arms stay equally tensioned. As mentioned elsewhere, I detailed my procedure to a Shimano rep at a race one time, and he said he did the same with his.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

Re: Wheelie strange noise
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Another weekend project to get my teeth into.
I must admit to already having tweaked the springs and screws but will follow your good advice and start from scratch rather than dabble in a hap hazard way.
Matt

Matt,

Assuming the wheel is true, I'd next check the tension on each of the front brake's arms. There's a little screw that presses on each of the v-brakes' linear springs, and that can sometimes cause an arm to go in and out of adjustment when braking and can cause periodic rubbing on one side.

In my experience, I have never found Shimano v-brake springs to have even tension from the factory, so usually start by backing off the screws evenly, then disengaging the springs from their little pegs and gently bending them so the tension is equal, then turning the screws inward as desired to set overall spring tension. Doing it this way ensures the arms stay equally tensioned. As mentioned elsewhere, I detailed my procedure to a Shimano rep at a race one time, and he said he did the same with his.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink