Author Topic: 2014 Shutter Precision (SP)  (Read 3173 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
2014 Shutter Precision (SP)
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:14 pm »
Hi All!

Shutter Precision (SP) have released their 2013 products catalog with the latest on their dynohubs and lighting, available in online e-mag format here: http://issuu.com/borjoulin/docs/sp2013-03?e=8884331%2F4327534

They include a number of output comparison charts showing SP's performance against "Germany brand" (likely SON) and  "Japan brand" dynohubs (likely Shimano), but unfortunately do not designate which models are compared.

No personal or financial interest, just "interested" in dynohub alternatives to the usual SON and Shimano offerings. Very much looking forward to some independent "apples to apples" testing and reviews of their dynohubs and lights.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:43:33 pm by Danneaux »

brummie

Re: 2014 Shutter Precision (SP)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:48:21 pm »
That's 2014 ( I can't believe Dan has made a typing error !  - Must be working too hard?  :D)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:43:47 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:26 pm »
Right on both counts, Brummie!  ;D

All the best,

Dan. (...who is two-tired and too tired at present and fixed the topic title; thanks!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:44:02 pm by Danneaux »

peter jenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 07:29:39 am »
As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, I am running a SP hub dynamo on my Moulton (406 wheels) with an Edelux lamp.

I reckon the lighting performance is equivalent to the SON/IQ Fly combination on my Club Tour. I leave the light switched on permanently as there is no discernible drag in either case.

Both dynamo/lamp combinations produce light at walking speed.

I've had the SON since 2006 but the SP only since February so I can't compare longevity, but the SP looks good in terms of quality of finish.

A handy bonus is that I ordered the SP online direct from Taiwan and it arrived in darkest Australia in about 5 days. At the price, which is about 50% of the SON, I think the SP is good value but only time will tell...

I will keep you posted if anything untoward should happen.

Cheers,

pj

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:46 pm »
I have about 1000 km on a new SP PV-8.  This is the only hub alternator I have used so I can't compare to others.

Bought it on ebay in USA, got a good price, received it quickly from Taiwan.  SJS told me that they only had 32H, I wanted 36H.

At walking speed, I get just barely enough flickering light on one (discontinued) B&M Oval Lumotec LED headlamp to see where I am going, no taillight.  Currently have two of the Oval Lumotec headlamps wired in series, need about 4.5 mph to get any flickering light, but am very happy with how much light I get with the pair at higher speeds.  The pair of lights I have do not have a switch, I plug the wire connector into the hub to use the lights, unplug when I want to turn them off. 

I read somewhere that the connector is the same as the Shimano connector but I can't confirm this.  Obtaining a Shimano connector is likely easier than obtaining the connector from SP.  I zip-tied wires and connector to the fork leg, so if the Shimano connector also works, that will be handy if I use that wheel on a different bike.  Then I can zip-tie wires and a connector to the other bike fork leg so each bike is ready for using that wheel.  (Unfortunately, may need to swap brake pads, have the CSS rim on the wheel with the SP hub.)

Am happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the link on the catalog.  This hub is the only critical part of my Nomad build that does not have a history of touring durability and reliability so I was happy to read the piece on somebody using it for self-supported mountain bike racing.  Until I read this I was a bit nervous about using an untested hub on a long rough tour, but feel better about my choice now.