Author Topic: Gumtree: Sherpa for Tall people  (Read 1550 times)

JWestland

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

macspud

Re: Gumtree: Sherpa for Tall people
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
I contacted the seller about size as the 59cm stated in the advert didn't match up with any Sharpa frame size, he replied that it's a 560XL. So it's a medium extra long frame.

wellerclive

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 09:48:35 am »
I've contacted the seller as well, as I am interested in buying.  In all your wisdom guys - do you think this frame size would suit someone 5ft 11"?  Just trying to find this answer on the Thorn guide now, and just looking for an extra bit of advice.  I don't want to lose another bike like I did with that eBay Sherpa - oh the heartache.

Only problem is I am located in Portsmouth and he is in Glasgow, I fancy a JOG2LA ride coming up ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 04:46:50 pm »
Hi Clive!

I'm 5'11" and my Sherpa Mk2 was a 560S, fitted with drop handlebars. It fit me very well.

Not sure if this is any help at all, but at least one more data point.

Good luck; hope things go well.

Best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:54:01 pm »
I'm 5'11" and my Sherpa Mk2 was a 560S, fitted with drop handlebars. It fit me very well.

According to the brochure (http://web.archive.org/web/20111005125116/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornSherpaBroHiRes.pdf the S & L Sherpas of that time were designed for drop bars, so when one was designed for straight bars (longer top tube) they had to call them XL as L had already been used.
Quote from brochure: "The “XL” frames are extra long, compared to drop bar frames (but actually only about the same length as our Raven Tour L frames for a given size). These frames are designed almost exclusively for straight bars or comfort bars.".  

So if you are happy with straight bars all may be good. Best to contact SJSC for their advise.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:57:02 pm by macspud »