Author Topic: Oil in the frame? Rust-proofing?  (Read 2265 times)

Rockymountain

Oil in the frame? Rust-proofing?
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:30:32 pm »
I have a new Thorn Raven which I purchased in May this year. I was cleaning it this afternoon and turned it upside down only to find that some oil began to leak out of the seat stem and onto the underside of the saddle.

Does anyone know what this might be? Do Thorn use linseed oil as a rust proofer in side the frame?

By the way, it has not come from the hub - I've double checked that.

Thanks

Fraser

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Oil in the frame? Rust-proofing?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
Hi Fraser!

Now, this is an interesting puzzle. My first guess would be rustproofing coating. Thorn are really good about treating the inside of the frame tubes with a Waxoyl-like or Wurth cavity wax to prevent rust. Assuming some might have collected in a little pocket, it could have migrated, and would smell strongly -- not unlike linseed oil.

Thorn are also good about lubricating the seatpost and shim (if used) to prevent corrosion, as well as the BB eccentric and so some might have accumulated bit by bit just below the seatpost collar with the frame inverted until enough collected to account for what you see draining out of the upside-down bike.

A bit of extra oily stuff inside the frame wouldn't cause concern unless it came from the BB, but that would be more in the form of grease, if anything, and there would be other signs of things amiss.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your new bike; those Ravens are really something!

Best,

Dan.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:55:23 pm by Danneaux »

Rockymountain

Re: Oil in the frame? Rust-proofing?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 07:14:02 am »
Thanks, Dan

I suspect that is what it is (rust proofing oil) - I've turned the bike upside down again and it doesn't seem to have leaked. So it must have been a little excess oil that had collected in the seat tube.

Fraser