Author Topic: Thorn Nomad X Mk 2 with S&S couplings, in yellow  (Read 3698 times)

ratzakli

Thorn Nomad X Mk 2 with S&S couplings, in yellow
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:04:30 pm »
For Sale - Thorn Nomad X Mk 2 with S&S couplings, in yellow.

Built and bought in April this year, I travelled from the UK to Greece using the bike, trains and ferries.  The bike itself has done around 1300 miles. To be honest I thought I would love bike touring, and that it would be the first of many trips over the next several years.  That turned out not to be the case and despite loving the bike itself I can't see it getting anywhere near the use it deserves.  Going to stick to mountain biking.

It has a multitude of extras and upgrades:
Ergon GP1-L anatomic grips, black
SJSC Ergo Control Bar end grip, black
Black Schmidt SON 28 front hub
Black Rohloff upgrade
Black Andra 30 CSS 26" 32H rims, including Swisstop blue brake pads
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HS382 folding tyres 26 x 1.60 inch
SKS chromoplastic mudguards, black
Brooks B17 standard honey saddle
Shimano PD-A530 SPD single-sided touring pedals
Profile design bottle cages x 3
Thorn Accessory T-bar
Thorn MkV Cro Mo Steel Low Loader front rack, black
Thorn Exped Steel rear rack, black
Tout Terrain The Plug II Plus
Schmidt Edelux LED front light
Cateye rear light
Included in the sale will be a pair of Carradice Super C rear panniers, a pair of Carradry front panniers, grey and a Carradice bar-bag also in grey.
The bike is with me in Greece and I will be flying with it to the UK on 3 August - to near Newport, S. Wales
Total cost for the bike was 3,200GBP and I am looking for sensible offers.  Cash on collection (I could deliver within a 50-75 mile radius of Newport, at cost of petrol)

ratzakli

Re: Thorn Nomad X Mk 2 with S&S couplings, in yellow
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:13:49 pm »
I just knew I'd forget something... it is an X565M - I am 5'9"
Also comes with 6 spare spokes and a Rohloff oil-change kit.

markheld

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »
Having just registered I'm afraid I have no idea of what price a bike used to this extent (which presumably isn't that much for one of these) should be worth.  So it would be a great help if you could let me know what you'd be looking for?  markheld@me.com

Kind regards

Mark

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:33:34 pm »
Based on previous bikes sold through ebay and the forum I would estimarte you would be looking at a value of somewhere between 2000 to 2500 pounds.

The plus sides being the fantastic spec of the bike and the very low usage.

The downsides would be the loss of certain warrenties not being the original owner and no choice in the spec.

best of luck with the sale

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:44 pm »
I certainly wish the seller luck with this sale.

My own input is along the line of, if spending 2k plus for a bike I would want it spec'd specifically for me. At that kind of price I would want the bells and whistles that suited me exactly.

Having said that, I recently bought a very nice black Raven second hand from a very nice member here. (Thanks Andy, after 6 months I still cannot believe my luck at having such a fantastic bike with a great fit)
Not quite in the 2k plus bracket but I was on bread and water for a few months after!

Good luck with the sale of a classic machine.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Barry Webber

• On my green electric machine!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 09:04:27 pm »
Hello everyone,

I have emailed the seller about this bike as it has almost the exact spec I would like for my dream Thorn.
The main difference is that it is a Nomad X rather than a full blown Nomad Mk2.
This would mean less load carrying capacity I believe.
Does anyone know if the geometry of the X Nomad is very different from the Mk2 Nomad?
Another concern would be the warranties and if Thorn and Rohloff would be happy to transfer these to the buyer of a 2nd hand machine?
Other than that it looks to have the potential to be a great bargain.

Best wishes to all,
Barry.
22,000 miles of Ebike commuting and loving it!
Keep cycling! :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
Hi Barry!

My, what exciting news, and I hope it all works out to the best for you!

Looking at the Thorn Nomad brochure, the tubing diameter is different between the standard and "X" models. Yes, the "X" has reduced carrying capacity compared to the regular Mk2 Nomad, but for general use, this will make for a livelier-feeling, 500g lighter bike and would be no detriment provided you did not need the Mk2's greater carrying capacity. It would still be suitable -- and more -- for the kinds of touring many people do.

The geometry of the "X" bikes varies as well, as shown on pages 20, 21, and 22 of the Thorn Nomad Mk2 brochure: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornRavenNomadBroHiRes.pdf In the text, Andy Blance notes, there are *four* frame sizes available in the "X" series, and they all have medium-length top tubes (pg. 20). Well worth a read for anyone interested in the "X" Nomads.

As for warranty transfer to a second owner, from all I can see, Thorn's applies to and covers only the original owner. Please see page 40 of the owner's manual, here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf

As for Rohloff's, if the little orange card registering the hub has not been sent in, you might try doing so. In any case, if the hub has been registered, you will wish to contact Rohloff so they can update their records. They're really good about keeping a database by owner/serial number to aid recovery in the event of theft.

Given the reliability and durability of Thorn's frames and the Rohloff hub, it is unlikely you would need to make a warranty claim, but that is always the Unknown. Every manufacturer has the potential for some unseen flaw, *but* these usually manifest quickly and early in ownership, so if the previous buyer has had a good experience so far and the bike rides well in your trial, then I think you could feel confident all would most likely be well. The difference between used and new in that case (assuming the bike was in very good condition and spec'd to your liking) would be the warranty -- in effect, an insurance policy you hope you wouldn't need to collect on.

I hope this helps. Very best of luck to you, Barry. Please let us know how things come out for you.

Best,

Dan. (..who thinks an "X" just might hit the mark for many people)

Barry Webber

• On my green electric machine!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 11:54:37 am »
Hello Dan and everyone,

I had a reply back from the seller who has managed to find a buyer in Greece so I am back to looking at my own bespoke Thorn Nomad which I am sure is no bad thing.
What a bargain for the purchaser though!

Barry.
22,000 miles of Ebike commuting and loving it!
Keep cycling! :-)

in4

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 01:26:31 pm »
Sphericals to that!!!!!! I was looking forward to some updated photos and a possible trip to S.Wales. Thats it, I'm jumping ship and getting myself A Giant Defy Advanced 2 with carbon everything, teasmaid, wifi, itent and alpha female!!!

It was a good buy for someone I think, particularly with all the goodies included. Perhaps they will grace us with their presence before too long.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:18:36 pm »
Aw, well...not meant to be, I suppose. At least that's what I tell myself when similar things occur -- that, and I'm no worse off then before or if I'd never heard of it.

Small solace and little balm when something is already "paid-for-and-owned" in one's mind, but there's truth to it. One door closes and another clichéd one really does seem to open, usually with as good or in some ways better.
I am back to looking at my own bespoke Thorn Nomad which I am sure is no bad thing.
Just think: Brand new with warranty, and just exactly to your liking; "not bad" at all!

Here's hoping the "next one" to come along is even better!

Dan. (...veteran owner of many non-winning raffle tickets)