Author Topic: Very quick delivery!  (Read 9787 times)

robert-S

Very quick delivery!
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:54:36 pm »
I just took delivery of a cobalt blue Thorn Discovery tandem - ordered on 10th June, so only 16 days to delivery. Looks the business, and I can't wait to give it a whirl.
We are experienced tandem riders (already have a Dawes Super Galaxy, which this will replace, and a Longstaff), but a flat barred 26" wheeled tandem with a hydraulic disc brake, a Rohloff hub, and S&S couplings is breaking new ground for us!

Robert

jags

Re: Very quick delivery!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:06:34 pm »
welcome to the thorn madhouse robert dont suppose you took any photos of the new baby.
best of luck with it enjoy every pedal stroke. ;)

robert-S

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:22:29 pm »
I still have to trim the steerer tube, that always puts my heart in my mouth! Seems pretty well put together, though I am scratching my head over the black triangular metal plate with eight holes in it!

Robert

rualexander

robert-S

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:28:10 pm »
The very thing! I am now better informed than a few minutes ago!
R

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »
Hi Robert!

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum and congratulations on the arrival of your new tandem!

Very much looking forward to your ride impressions compared to your other "big bikes" and any photos you may wish to share in the gallery.

Best wishes for many happy travels together,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »
Hi Robert

Welcome to the forum. Not speaking personaly but you will be amazed by the combined knowledge on this forum.

Pertaining to trimming the steerer; I would leave it long (atleast for a while) - you never know what you may find to bolt on to it. However I am not sure how this will match in with your ideas of the S&S couplings and keeping it compact for transport.

Best of luck with the new ride. I am trying to up our (Wife and I) mileage on the Tandem to warrant buying a new Rohloff one

Andy

ianshearin

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Robert, as has been pointed out there is a wealth of information on these forums.

It does come at a price though, you will need to post pictures of you and your wife on the tandem .....naked..

Too much?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:07 pm »
I assume Ian you were reffering to the Tandem being Naked!!

I am sure he will have it dressed in no time

Andy

robert-S

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:49:19 pm »
Just back from a very short 4 mile trial ride to check out saddle heights, etc, and I am very impressed. Rohloff hub very quiet except for a couple of middle of the range gears. Very comfortable on those fat tyres! First time with a disc brake, nice to have an effective rear brake.

Strikes me as a tandemist's tandem, the frame is very well specced out.

As I said earlier, it's the first time I've ridden on flat bars, so that was quite interesting! Gear shifting very easy, and the bike was nowhere near as heavy as I expected. Picture to follow (the one I have is before we lowered the saddles to the correct height, so it looks a little odd).

R

Mike Ayling

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:15 am »
Just back from a very short 4 mile trial ride to check out saddle heights, etc, and I am very impressed. Rohloff hub very quiet except for a couple of middle of the range gears. Very comfortable on those fat tyres! First time with a disc brake, nice to have an effective rear brake.

Strikes me as a tandemist's tandem, the frame is very well specced out.

As I said earlier, it's the first time I've ridden on flat bars, so that was quite interesting! Gear shifting very easy, and the bike was nowhere near as heavy as I expected. Picture to follow (the one I have is before we lowered the saddles to the correct height, so it looks a little odd).

R

Robert,

Congratulations!!

We have had ours for about six months now and I can assure you that the #7 gear does get a lot quieter over time.

+1 re the fat tyres and the steel fork make a comfortable ride.

Mike and Mary in Australia

See     http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/12492         for our first mini tour.

robert-S

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:29 am »
Some pictures here.
This is our third tandem...hopefully a longer ride over the weekend, though I have work and a 25 mile time trial to fit it around!

Robert
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:17:02 pm by robert-S »

jags

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:31:28 pm »
That's one smart looking tandem hell of a disc brake  on rear wheel ;D
just noticed theres only 2 bottle braze ons is this normal on a tandem.
anyway fantastic bike enjoy great photos thanks for giving us a look.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 07:49:46 pm by jags »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:51 pm »
Robert,

Thanks so much for the links to your photos of the new Big Blue Bike. There's nothing as magical as (Un)boxing Day when the new bike arrives. A bit like opening a present, really, and -- Oh! -- the wonders that await inside!

What a lovely bike, and the beautiful blue color just "pops" with the black components.

As a tandem owner myself, there's *always* interest when someone gets a new Thorn version, and I will look forward to your future ride reports with greatest interest.

Best wishes for many happy journeys ahead!

Dan.

robert-S

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:44:10 pm »
That's one smart looking tandem heel of a brake  on rear wheel ;D
just noticed theres only 2 bottle braze ons is this normal on a tandem.
anyway fantastic bike enjoy great photos thanks for giving us a look.

It has brazeons for four bottle cages. Nice to have an effective rear brake courtesy of the hydraulic disc brake, but I'll miss the Arai drum brake that we have on the Dawes.

R