Author Topic: Schwalbe Marathon Duremes Discontinued?  (Read 6406 times)

Slammin Sammy

Schwalbe Marathon Duremes Discontinued?
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:11 pm »
Has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't seen any mention of it per se, but these have suddenly gotten very hard to find online. I bought the last one in stock from CRC, and when I went back a few days later to see if stock had replenished, I was met with "Item Discontinued".  :'(

The Schwalbe web site http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/produkte/tour_city/produkt/?ID_Produktgruppe=36&ID_Produkt=131 also makes no mention of the Dureme.

It's a real shame, because the Dureme is such a good all-rounder. I will try to locate a second one at a LBS, or failing that, switch to Supremes for my Europe trip.

Dureme is dead. Long live Dureme.  :'( And Thorn will have to pick a new all-rounder to recommend in their brochures...

Sam
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:59:55 pm by Slammin Sammy »

Slammin Sammy

Re: Schwalbe Marathon Duremes Discontinued?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »
Could be, there are a lot of online stores that still sell Duremes though:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Schwalbe+marathon+dureme#q=Schwalbe+marathon+dureme&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=q_KoUc6lLe7w0gWO84DYDg&ved=0CAwQ_AUoAw&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.d2k&fp=e29332105c14cde&biw=1333&bih=675

Hmm... Yes, that's interesting. With my location set to "Sydney", I didn't get nearly as many hits. And the majority are 700c size (which stands to reason, I guess). Still, no need to panic. I'll order one from somewhere.

Thanks, Peddrov!

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:17 pm »
Good luck with your search for Duremes, Sam -- there will be some suppliers with stock in hand, I'm sure.

You may have already done some research on other options, but if not, there's a lot of commentary available on CGOAB. (A search for "Schwalbe" generated 100 entries!)  One of the best reviews I've read is by Graham Smith in Australia, reviewing his experience with 26 x 1.6 Supremes on a Sherpa here: 

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=1&thread_id=350687&page=1&nested=0&v=1P

I'll have to make this decision in a few months' time -- expect there'll be some more applied research on non-Duremes by then, as well as a few rants about Schwalbe's labelling.

J.

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »
It looks like there's a new all-rounder on the block, the Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe!

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/tour/marathon-deluxe/   8)

It looks like a totally different tread pattern to the Dureme, but maybe that's no bad thing - the Dureme's narrow treads collected a lot of grit on my local canal track and sounded like winter tyres when I got back onto tarmac; and they're also known to be "wobbledy" as Dan found out.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:19:53 pm by Relayer »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:32:11 pm »
Ooh! I like the tread pattern, which should be both quiet(er) and long(er) wearing. And, if they're not "wobbledy" -- Yay!

Of course, I'll use up my present Duremes, but this looks very promising for a replacement. Nicely found and shared; thanks!

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:00:38 pm »
A nice looking tyre that and in a good middle of the road (no pun intended) size.

Andy

in4

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:10 pm »
How does one pronounce Duremes? 'Due-reams'?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:23:16 pm »
Not exactly an expert myself, Ian, but I figured since the name is a combination of "Durable" and "Dream" (as in a durable tire that is a "dream" in doing pretty much everything...as I saw it described once in a Schwalbe product announcement), I've tried to pronounce it accordingly:

"Dur-EEM", with the "Dur" as in durable and the "eem" as in the last part of dream (for classic Western American English). Emphasis on the second syllable.

In print, it all looks the same.  :D

I'm guessing British English might vary in pronunciation. I'm working very hard to remember how to spell "tyre" and my "aloominum" (or "loom'num" in Oregonese) is "alyewminium" for others.

All the best,

Dan. (...who will learn proper English eventually)

jags

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:04:46 pm »
Dan will you be using duremes on your tour and will you carry any spares .
i use the Surpreams great tire but not on rough stuff side wall a bit suspect.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 09:13:39 pm »
Dan will you be using duremes on your tour and will you carry any spares .
Yes...and yes. The two tires on the Nomad are wired-on (rigid). The trailer will be running the same 26x2.0 Dureme as the bike. I will take either one or two folding versions as spares -- same size, same tire, but with a flexible kevlar bead to facilitate folding.

I am thinking strongly of taking some Mr Tuffy liners I have on hand in lieu of the second folding spare. I would install them only for use in goathead thorn country after getting the first thorn-caused flat.  :-\ Still thinking on this. The Mr Tuffys have worked well for me in the past with goatheads, but if one uses them too long, they can wear a hole in the tube and then you get a flat anyway (or at least I have, when using them). We'll see.
i use the Surpreams great tire but not on rough stuff side wall a bit suspect.
<nods> Yes! The Supremes are *great* tires, especially for pavement. The Dureme is essentially a Supreme with a light tread on it for a little better mechanical lock between tire and dirt and the added "wobbledy" component (all the Supremes I've seen run much truer).

The sidewalls on each are virtually identical, so -- yes -- the Dureme sidewall may give me problems when falling between sharp rocks, as is sometimes the case when I am grinding my way uphill on goat tracks. When the sidewall gets pinched, it makes a sort of "poink-poink" sound as if you tapped an inflated balloon sharply with a finger. The coating on the sidewalls is unbelievably thin and yes, subject to possible damage if caught on something sharp. Maybe I'd better throw in that second folding spare after all....

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:34:09 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 12:13:00 am »
Dan why then not the marathon plus tires bomp proof. ;D
i dont like them myself would much rather use the slicks, but when i said it to Aiden on my spin last week he swore by the marathon plus and he rode on some serious rough terraine (Just saying).

mind you having said that i got a flat on the marathon plus only a week after i put them on  ;D ;D,
no justice in the world is there.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 01:14:37 am »
That's right, and precious little when it comes to flats!  ;)
i said it to Aiden on my spin last week he swore by the marathon plus and he rode on some serious rough terraine (Just saying).
Agreed! The Marathon Plus is a durable tire -- I've got a set of 700Cs in the garage now -- but man, are they ever s-l-o-w in feel. I tried mine all of a half-mile before I ran into clearance problems on the Miyata, so they'll be sold-on as the virtually new tires they are ("One mile use! Nearly new! Still have all the little mold nubbins and seam flaps!"). Heavy, too, but I do think they'd last a very long time. They sure were better than the Michelin City tires I'd tried before that. Those were also considered flat-proof, but Man! Slow as can be. Felt like riding on old foam mattresses covered in molasses.  :P They might not last forever, but it would feel like it if you rode there on them.

One road hazard I think can go through anything is the hair-fine wires from exploded truck-tire belts. If you hit one on edge, it goes straight in. One did just that on Sherpa's rear tire when I had him...never saw it till it went straight through the tread, belt, and tube. Nasty little thing was the hardest imaginable to remove, too! No justice, indeed!  :D

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:19:02 pm »
Dan why then not the marathon plus tires bomp proof. ;D
i dont like them myself would much rather use the slicks, but when i said it to Aiden on my spin last week he swore by the marathon plus and he rode on some serious rough terraine (Just saying).

mind you having said that i got a flat on the marathon plus only a week after i put them on  ;D ;D,

And less justice still for cyclists. If you do get a flat on a Marathon Plus, it is hell to get the tyre off the rim, and worse to get it back on. Better to call a taxi to take you home, and on the way drop the bike at the LBS.

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:24 pm »
Andre have you ever seen the video on the spa cycles site on how to mount a marathon plus tire it very good ,and once mastered not a big deal getting the tire on the rim ;)

(Great bit of weather we are having 23 deg in your part of the island. ;D)

cheers
jags