Author Topic: MY NEW NOMAD MK2 FRAME HAS ARRIVED!!!  (Read 12298 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: MY NEW NOMAD MK2 FRAME HAS ARRIVED!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 07:25:42 pm »
;D ;D not a bad idea, here in ireland at the moment its lovely still windy but next week is to brighten up again.So are you just doing the UK or are you gonna  take in a bit more .

Just Somerset, Devon and Cornwall on this occasion jags, and then off to the blue Danube. But a work buddy is moving back to Galway at the end of the year, so another jaunt around the Emerald Isle is almost certainly in the offing. Love the place.

My last visit must have set some record - one whole week of brilliant sunshine, except for one massive cloudburst while we were inside having a marvelous seafood lunch in Kinsale. By the time we left, the sun was out again!  8)

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 07:47:37 pm »
Greetings Thornlings!

Sigh...

It's been raining for days, and I'm forlornly staring at my part-built Nomad pondering one of life's great questions... WHY DOES EVERY BLOODY THING TAKE SO F@$!*%#ING LONG TO GET HERE FROM THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE!?

I have two built wheels (my first attempts, and they came out great!), but only one tyre. I have a crankset, but no crank bolts. And I have no brakes. All of these things were ordered weeks ago, and with exception of SJS (who will not take an order unless the item is in stock, but then ship using real aircraft), every other supplier either can't supply (after 10 days - "Sorry, that item/colour/size is not in stock/no longer available, etc.") or sends it via Donkey Express and Paddle Steamers, Inc.

Hard to believe, but I had real problems locating a second Marathon Dureme. The crank bolts were my oversight. The Magura brakes are the stuff of legend (all-black HS33s - what could be hard??)

Never mind. I have been putting the time to good use memorizing the Rohloff manual (in English, German and four other languages  ;D) and aclimatising to a soggy European holiday.

Sigh...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 08:29:32 pm »
WHY DOES EVERY BLOODY THING TAKE SO...LONG TO GET HERE FROM THE REST OF THE UNIVERSE!?
Aw, Sammy, I feel for and with you, I really do. It is almost more frustrating to be 80-90% of the way along and have such delays than it is to have trouble at the start.

Man!

Well, good on you for your wheelbuilding, and the Rohloff manual is being committed to memory, so that's no loss either.

Just wondering...in the interest of expediency, could you perhaps substitute inexpensive parts for those needed items and then replace them once you're on British and European soil? You wouldn't be going too far/heavy at first, perhaps, and this approach would get you going if worse comes to worst. A tire swap and even some cable-operated v-brakes might get you on the road.

In terms of brotherly empathy, I can't get needed parts locally, either, and I'm Stateside! For example, I wanted to pick up a couple extra Schwalbe SV13 presta-valve, 26x2.0 tubes to take with me on-tour. A seemingly simple quest, but...no. BikeTiresDirect.com up in Portland is out with no idea when they'll be restocked. I called the high-end commuter shop in town, the one that carries SmartWool and Brooks and B&M Cyos and Schwalbe tires to ask, and the conversation went downhill from "Hello". The clerk corrected me roughly, telling me if I knew anything, I'd also know the name was pronounced "Schwobble". Then, after three more go-'rounds, he told me there was no such thing as an SV13 tire. When I told him again I wanted a tube, he hung up. Guy at Shop #2 was okay with my asking for "Schwalbe", but said they were a tire company and if I knew anything (again!) about bikes, I'd know they didn't make tubes. This time, I hung up and placed an online order with CycloCamping.com; the tubes will be here Wednesday. The heck with the locals, I need my tubes. By the way, the locals carried Schraeder-valve tubes for 26x2.5, but nothing in presta that would really work with my Rigida Andras and 2.0 Duremes. Sigh.

I've tried to support the local shops, but I find -- to put it kindly -- they cater to a different consumer demographic. SJS Cycles is my usual "local" shop of choice. Comparable or better prices, no hassle in that they know what they do and do not have, and the shipping times are reasonably short unless I am really pressed for time, as at present.

So, I have an inkling how y'feel, Sammy.  'Sure hope things come together for you soon, and you can quickly be winging your way along that beautiful shoreline on your lovely new yellow Nomad taking some shakedown rides before heading overseas. Take heart: this too shall pass.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 09:12:09 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »
huh i left my rear wheel in the local bike shop  over 2 weeks ago for a new hub i rang this morning to see what the craic was the usual story  have it Monday morning for you anto.
i'm gonna  dig out the lie rs silver cup for him he's a clear winner. ::)ii