Author Topic: Front mudguard  (Read 2277 times)

honesty

Front mudguard
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:46:09 pm »
Trying to fit a front mudguard to a club tour fork I have and have hit a problem. the previous fork (non Thorn) had a mounting screw point on the back of the crown, so the long tab on the mudguard was connected to the fork here. The club tour fork only has a screw point on the front of the crown and the tab on the mudguard is too long. I can only mount it there at the very limits of its reach and its hitting the tyres. Am I ok to do either of the following:
1. Cut the mudguard tab down to size (current preferred option I think) and connect at the front of the crown
2. Put the tab at the back of the fork, without actually mounting it to the crown

thoughts?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Front mudguard
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »
Hi Honesty!

By any chance, when you look at the underside of the crown, is there a plate with a threaded hole or two? If so, that's where Thorn attach the front mudguard. After removing the mounting bracket, they drill a hole through the 'guard and secure it in place using a 5mm bolt.

The threaded hole on the front of the Thorn fork crown is for mounting a head light.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 04:21:24 pm »
Yes I remember seeing a screw hole on the underside, so that must be it!

I should be alright to pop the rivets holding the bracket onto the mudguard and put a screw a hole in the guard to this then?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 04:44:40 pm »
I should be alright to pop the rivets holding the bracket onto the mudguard and put a screw a hole in the guard to this then?
Yep, and reuse one of the holes for the 5mm x .8 metric bolt/machine screw. The result will be a nice, secure mounting of the mudguard.

I'm not sure how much clearance you'll have or desire between the underside of the 'guard and the top of the tire, but if the gap is too large, you can use a nut as a spacer to bring the 'guard closer. In any case, use a thin washer on each side of the mudguard to reinforce the hole and prevent the mudguard from fracturing over time.

Thorn do an even neater job of it by using a ball-pein hammer to flatten the remaining rivet to fill the extra hole. Their mudguard fittings are works of art, really, and must be very time consuming to do as well as they do -- especially in a production assembly setting. I admire what they do.

If you wish to make your mudguards easily removable, Jimmer employed a clever means in this thread: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3282.0

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:23:14 pm by Danneaux »

DONE

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
Thorns fixing of mudguards is definitely a "work of art". The fitting of the rear mudguard stays onto a thorn rack is so well executed, it must take quite a bit of time cutting and bending the stays to fit perfectly.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 05:15:02 pm »
Hi Honesty!

Here are Thorn's own suggestions detailing their mudguard-fitting procedures for bikes with 26in wheels and 1.75 or narrower tires. Many of them can apply to your Club Tour.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/fitting-mudguards-to-our-thorn-bikes-with-26-%28559%29-wheels-blog71/

It is amazing the steps they take to complete the job!

Best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:27 pm »
Its fitted, and the type doesn't rub. Its not the most pretty job but it does what it's meant to!

sg37409

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 12:18:07 am »
Yes, I'd really like to see the process of fitting the stays to the rack.

Thorns fixing of mudguards is definitely a "work of art". The fitting of the rear mudguard stays onto a thorn rack is so well executed, it must take quite a bit of time cutting and bending the stays to fit perfectly.