Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa 535L  (Read 6360 times)

macspud

Re: Thorn Sherpa 535L
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:22:46 am »
I've never seen a bicycle with stands front and rear before but this one appears to have them.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:29:38 am »
I've never seen a bicycle with stands front and rear before...
Yep! The idea is the front stand keeps the wheel from swinging around with a load on it, thus making the whole bike more stable on the primary rear stand. Hebie also offer a variation on this theme with a spring stabilizer that holds the front wheel straight on cargo bikes. Again, the idea is to keep the wheel from swinging around with the bike at rest, pulling the whole works over beyond what the rear-stand can support.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 04:53:31 am »
Very nice looking bike.

A full set up ready to ride for someone

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 08:29:52 am »
Yep! The idea is the front stand keeps the wheel from swinging around with a load on it, thus making the whole bike more stable on the primary rear stand. Hebie also offer a variation on this theme with a spring stabilizer that holds the front wheel straight on cargo bikes. Again, the idea is to keep the wheel from swinging around with the bike at rest, pulling the whole works over beyond what the rear-stand can support.

Best,

Dan.
I swing my wheel around as soon as I park up. Saves surprises. 
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

in4

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 07:25:44 pm »
Less than an hour to go and not a single bid. Starting price £800 might be material.

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:51:51 am »
Sold for 1055 ukp

I think a fair price for such a nice bike.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:09:40 am »
I think so too, Andy. It was fully equipped and ready to go. Beautiful example.

Best,

Dan.

in4

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:06 am »
I also thought it a lovely bike. With all those goodies on board I thought it was a great buy, hence why I flagged it up with an hour to go. If it had been my size I'd have bought it and enjoyed a viewing of the lovely garden it was photographed in too.
Lets hope the new owner soon appears in this parish  to tell us of his/her plans. Bet its not heading for Aldi et. al.  :)

wellerclive

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:38:40 pm »
I went up to Cambridge to test ride this bike and it was an absolute beauty.  I am cycling to South Africa in September and needed this bike.  I was outbid in the last 2 seconds - I am gutted.  Anyhoo every door and all that...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 03:21:37 pm »
I was outbid in the last 2 seconds - I am gutted.
Oh! The agony of defeat! The misery of being outbid for one's heart's desire!  :-\

Ah, me; true empathy and sympathy here, Clive, as it has happened to me -- to all of us at one time or another with online auctions.

There's the Joy of Discovery, then the Research Phase, then the ShouldIorNot phase, then the eager anticipation of having it made it already "mine" in mind with only the apparent formality of clicking and then -- Nooooooooooooooooooo:o followed by momentary disbelief  ??? as the truth sinks in  :'( and, as the final stage...acceptance.  :-\

Gutted, indeed.  :P

Well, if it is any consolation, it helps to think of these things as "meant to be -- or not". Sometimes, an even better "deal" does come through, and all the above is a mere priming of the pump so one is ready to accept the "right" one when it comes.

The opposite can also happen. 

I recently dreamed up a Big Bike Building Project™ when I found a stash of tubing and lugs in my garage, then spent a good day's time prepping same in anticipation. I even trawled eBay hoping to find a good offer on mudgards for the Soon To Be -- did, then lost it when the auction was pulled. The next day, the auction went up again -- USD$68 mudguards for USD$25.89 postpaid! Yes! So I waited till the last second and bid (the only bidder) and got them. Oh, the HappyGlow! Like Gollem and his ring, My Precious -- mine!

The joy was short-lived when I went to the garage and finished sorting the tubes sets only to find...the frame tubes' matching head tube and lug set are not large enough to accept the steerer. Now, I have 'guards coming that won't fit...anything.

Oh, well.

Best,

Dan*. (...brother in empathy, who may yet pull this off with a modified bi-laminate lug design to fit a half fillet-brazed oversized head tube)

*DanWhoReallyShouldn'tBeTakingOnAnotherProjectButIsIntrigued

wellerclive

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:32:48 pm »
Hahaha oh Dan you could not have summed up my feelings more perfectly.

I am sorry to hear about your mudguards, but I am sure they will be part of another Dan project soon ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:43:41 pm »
Thanks, Clive. Please let me welcome you to the Thorn Cycling Forum.

Reliving the Trauma that is eBay, I completely forgot!

I hope you'll enjoy your time here, and once again -- welcome!  ;D

All the best,

Dan. (...who is very much looking forward to hearing more of your planned trip to South Africa in September -- Adventure awaits!)