Author Topic: World Tour on a new Sherpa  (Read 3588 times)

lovefo#

World Tour on a new Sherpa
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:24:00 pm »
Hello everyone! Im about to take off from Dublin on my new Sherpa. It served me well on the trial run home from Somerset to Dublin. If anyone would like to link up with me here is my blog:
http://loveforourworld.wordpress.com/
Thanks to everyone at Thorn for all the sound advice and help.
All the best
Fearghal

jags

Re: World Tour on a new Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:33:46 pm »
fellow sherpa owner here i will look forward to see how things are going with you .
very best of luck and enjoy.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:01 pm »
Hi Fearghal!

Welcome to the Forum! Thanks for the link to your travel blog; you've already had some wonderful adventures and photos to prove it, and a terrific bike in the Sherpa.

I think I'm most intrigued by your plan for vegan touring, and will be very interested to see how it goes in sourcing foodstuffs along the way. though I'm not a vegan, getting foodstuffs of any kind is sometimes a challenge for me in the places I tour, so I hope to pick up some sourcing tips from your experience.

Do you have an itinerary for your upcoming world tour?

All best wishes on the wonderful journey ahead. May it be healthy and happy and filled with Adventure of the good kind.

Best,

Dan.

lovefo#

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your replies and kind comments :)

Danneaux I realise it may be tough on a vegan diet. It was a cinch in Wales but then I spoke the same language and there were supermarkets around. I will do my best and keep my blog readers informed.

At the moment Im not 100% on the route. Im sure I will go straight across through Turkey and Iran but after that Im uncertain and need to do more research. The obvious route is pakistan inida myanmar, but pakistan comes with a big warning sign and myanmar officially does not let tourists through. I did come across worldcycingtour.org and a couple that went north through the Stans and into China but it is very cold and id be hitting there in winter!

Any tips/ideas/suggestions?

jags

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:37:23 pm »
check out acousticmotorbike.com he a member on here and done the world tour couple years back,
actually lives in the same town as me only discovered that few months ago. :-[

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:57:37 pm »
Any tips/ideas/suggestions?
Yes! Fearghal, I realize you're new to the Forum so you might not have seen Richie Thornger's posts, and would suggest those as an ideal first-stop for reading, given your desired line of travel. Richie's posts and blog have already been a terrific resource for the Forum's members, and can be found here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4851.0 ...and blog here... http://www.batmantorobben.wordpress.com/

PhilB0412 has also embarked on his own tour to similar places: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4607.msg22549#msg22549 ...with his own blog here: http://philsbiketour.wordpress.com/ ...and online gallery here: http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/philb0412/library/?sort=6&page=1

Both are friendly fellows in the midst of grand Adventures of their own. Right now, they're within miles of each other, and I wonder if they might somehow meet up. Best of luck to each of these members; they're in our thoughts.

If I can pass on one lesson from afar based on their journeys to date: Be sure you've got your visas and entry papers all lined-up well in advance, and take care to note the expiry dates for remaining in-country wherever you might be, else there can be Consequences that are unpleasant or downright terrifying to contemplate. The great news is both riders have found an abundance of truly good and friendly people along their route, and have been treated wonderfully, making fast friends of complete strangers. You'll never be short of Adventure, but the thought of nice people along the way is probably as big a "draw" as the Unknown.

If you have questions about your route as you progress, please give a shout and chances are good someone here can offer suggestions to ease your way.

Thanks for the planned updates on foodstuffs. A number of my cycling friends and acquaintances are vegetarian or vegan and will be just as interested in how you fare. All best luck to you in every aspect of your journey!

Best,

Dan.

lovefo#

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 11:07:35 am »
Terrific help Dan - you are truly a superhero member :) And thanks Jags too...

lovefo#

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:26 pm »
Finally setting off on my tour on Friday and plan to be in Cherbourg France by 16 June. Hope to hear from or meet some of you on my travels.
Happy riding :)
Fearghal

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:13:53 am »
Godspeed and safe journey, Fearghal! What wonderful travels and Adventure ahead for you. Of course, we'd love to hear from you along the way if you happen to find yourself near an Internet cafe and have the time to drop a line or two to the Forum.

All best wishes,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 05:03:25 am »
Best of luck on the adventure. If you need any assistance on the Eastern European leg or somewhere to take a break in Bulgaria then dont hesitate to get in touch.

Andy

lovefo#

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:59 am »
Thanks Andy. That would be great. I will definitely be in touch.  :)

jags

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:09:36 am »
best of luck hope its a blast i'll be keeping an eye on your blog,

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 12:05:29 pm »
Best of luck my friend.
I hope to follow a similar path next Spring on my Raven. Due to Turkish airlines flying to Istanbul from Edinburgh I plan to skip the first x hundred miles and kick things off in the sun. Weather and visas will be the 2 things to concern me most. I have complete faith in my Raven.
Knees may by another matter!

God speed
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink