Author Topic: Bikes and bridges  (Read 2031 times)

geocycle

Bikes and bridges
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:55:12 pm »
Been touring Scotland recently. One day crossed the forth and the Tay. Both are great journeys. Thought it might be fun to view our bikes on bridges.

julk

Re: Bikes and bridges
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:11:51 pm »
Great photo.

I found the Forth bridge felt a bit wobbly riding on the cycle track, funny to feel it moving.

The Tay bridge is rigid and if you cycle north it is all downhill!
The lift at the north end of the Tay bridge was out of action last time I was there - it was a difficult carry to get the loaded bikes down the stairs and that was with 2 of us.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »
Yes, both have their quirks.  The forth does wobble but the Tay feels like cycling down the central reservation! Fortunately it was open despite the high winds and the lifts worked otherwise it would have been tricky.  Loved cycling along the north coast if Fife, from Kinross, a beautiful route.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:21:00 am »
Here's an old photo at the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge over the Hudson. I was just back and forth across that bridge again today. It's $1.50 for automobiles but free for bikes. Pedestrians are prohibited.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:00:58 am »
Nice one Jim, is that crane pulling some poor soul back out of the river....there doesn't seem to be much by the way of a guard rail!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:48:31 pm by geocycle »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »
They have that machine on the bridge quite frequently. It was there yesterday too. Maybe they're painting down there or just washing. It seems to be a specialized maintenance machine just for this bridge.

Yeah the guardrail is not so high. A bit above my waist but not much. I don't feel like I might accidentally spill over when I am riding along, but for sure if somebody wanted to hop over it wouldn't be hard. There are some signs on the bridge approaches to encourage people to stay alive and then up on top there are phones where people can talk to counselors. I haven't heard of people jumping off but it must have happened.

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »
that looks a tough climb.