Author Topic: MK2 Nomad S&S 560M  (Read 2171 times)

Andybg

MK2 Nomad S&S 560M
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:04:03 pm »
Spotted this on ebay. Bit of a non descriptive title so easy to miss

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tour-bike-/221222492497?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3381e35951

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: MK2 Nomad S&S 560M
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:59:05 pm »
Boy, that was nicely found, Andy! Looks like another yellow beauty...and a claimed 839miles or so on the clock. Like the brown Brooks saddle and it has couplings.

Hoping one of us on the Forum snags it so we can see it on further adventures.

Best,

Dan.

ZeroBike

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:16:54 am »
Is the kickstand an issue?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:04 am »
Don't those front racks look tilted? Like they've got the wrong hole down at the drop-out! I don't think that front rack has been used!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:32:09 am »
Don't those front racks look tilted?
They sure do!

There may be a reason, however. During our Forum discussions on how to prevent rack abrasion, I heard from several people who preferred to set their front and rear racks at a slight tilt so gravity would help keep the bags in place at one end of the rack. I have sometimes noticed the same in photos of tourists' bikes.

Years ago, I had good luck very slightly tilting the alu rear rack on my rando bike so my old handmade panniers wouldn't shift. I used stainless steel hooks and springs to secure the bags and that bit of tilt helped a bit in keeping the lot secure.

The argument was compelling enough for me to again give it a brief try on Sherpa and the Nomad. It does work, but I found it resulted in my Ortlieb bags sagging and pulling a bit when loaded, so I went back and re-leveled my bags, adjusting the pannier hooks as far apart as possible and then filling the remaining bit of space with a zip-tie to prevent the bags from sliding even a little bit.

I agree, Jim; they look new and unused in the photos and the seller is including some nice spares and original materials as well.

Zero, I kinda wish it didn't have the BB-mount kickstand, but given the apparent high general condition of the bike and low use, it seems unlikely any damage has occurred. It would be more likely if the stand had to support a touring load; in the photos, it looks awfully close to new overall. I'd remove it in favor of a Click-Stand or a kickstand could be mounted near the rear axle with less risk of damage; those seem to have worked well for some of our Forum members.

Sure is pretty, and it in Andre's favorite color! For his soliloquy on yellow, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3930.msg21723#msg21723

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
adjusting the pannier hooks as far apart as possible and then filling the remaining bit of space with a zip-tie to prevent the bags from sliding even a little bit.

The Carradice bags let the hooks be positioned freely... it's a bit like the EBB with the screws that tighten into soft metal. I suppose that once you've got a notch in the aluminum rail then you can't put another notch too close. Anyway my hooks are positioned so the bag won't slide, any more than a fraction of a millimeter anyway.

I can see the rear Thorn rack can be positioned a bit off horizontal easily enough. But the front rack doesn't have so many options!

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
Strange... My current Nomad brochure doesn't show a 560M frame (or X560M). I bought a 565M, as the next size down (540L) won't be in stock until November(!).

Is this a mistake, or a discontinued size?

Sam

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 06:10:00 pm »
Hi Sam!

Looking back through the archived brochures, it appears the Nomad Mk2s were indeed 565s, not 560. I think it was likely an honest typographical error on the part of the seller, so yes, a mistake.

Best,

Dan.