Author Topic: If you could upgrade just one single item...  (Read 4319 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
If you could upgrade just one single item...
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:15:39 pm »
...what would it be?

Ground rules:

• Limited to just one component/item (can be a set as well, i.e. "rims" or "wheels" or "tyres"...oh, lets be generous: "gearing")
• Assume you're starting with your bike as it stands (and any prior upgrades in place)

So...what single thing would you upgrade?

Best,

Dan. (...who pondered this very question on a recent ride and is not acting as an advance agent for Santa Claus)

Andre Jute

Re: If you could upgrade just one single item...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 07:32:41 pm »
This is tricky question. Every year at Christmas I make a shortlist of bikes, and until a few years ago would treat myself to a new bike. But now my shortlist is the same every year, and headed by a bike I already have, in a different color... It ruins my Christmas already to have the perfect bike for me.

Now, that said, the systems approach does open up possibilities. My bike is, for instance, designed from the ground up around the fattest Schwalbe balloons (Big Apple Liteskin 60 x 622).  That's one system, comfort, speed, security. It is designed around hub gears and a fully enclosed chain case. That's another system, cleanliness. The hub gears are by Rohloff for bulletproof reliability. That's another system, for a minimal service requirement. There is nothing on the bike, with two exceptions, that requires any service at all. The Rohloff examples is well known, requiring an oil change every 5000km or once a year, whichever arrives earlier, and greasing the EXT click box once every 500km (an over-cautious requirement as I've explained elsewhere on this forum).

The remaining item that requires service is a set of vintage Phillips rubber block pedals I use because they are wide enough to take my number twelves. These have a hole to pump in grease, and unsealed, rebuildable bearings. When I first bought these pedals as new old stock on Ebay, I cleared out all the old grease by running light machine oil through them continuously until it was all gone, then pumped in ceramic grease until it came out the bottom and ran clear, none of the light oil left. They've served several years in this condition, but the ceramic grease has disappointed me elsewhere (for instance in the Rohloff EXT click box) by thinning out over time and not repelling water as strongly as, for instance, the white Teflon grease from same maker, Finish Line, which I used extensively as an all-purpose grease until Anto kindly gave me a tube of Phil's Tenaceous. I do not expect to be able to rebuild these pedals, not because they're incapable but because I have no experience with setting the tension and will probably ruin them as a learning experience. On the other hand, the pedals are in good nick still, running smoothly, so meanwhile I'll clear out the ceramic grease with the proven light oil flow, and pump in Phil's from the outside end until it comes out of the inside end. After that, if and when the bearings give out, with a little luck probably not in my lifetime, I'll rebuild the pedals but it would be nice to have modern sealed bearing pedals stand by to use.

I'm a big fan of Victor Pedals VP-191, a silky smooth sealed bearing platform pedal, very good-looking too, and as a safety feature fitted with reflectors both side. They do have a problem for me in particular, though. The pedal is quite a bit short of the width of my feet, and at the end of a long ride I feel the pedal through the soft rubber soles I tend to wear on my street shoes, which I also cycle in.

So, after considerable thought about expensive replacements (a new yellow frame for my Kranich!) and some even more wasteful (a custom made stainless rack to replace the Tubus Cosmo on the bike now because it is mingy and narrow in the standard mean Tubus style), what I would like to replace is an inexpensive but crucial part of my interface with the bike, the pedals.

One of the great attractions of the VP-191 is that this de luxe pedal is often on sale for as little as 20 Euro in the VP livery and unbranded, and wholesale it is very attractive, so that it is fitted by many, many top European bike makers. You just have to be careful that you don't take a VP-191 branded for one of the big marketers off the shelf without checking the price, because I've seen them as high as 129 euro. For a pedal that gives essentiallly permanent service without any attention, without being noticed for years on end, the VP-191 is therefore one of the great cycling bargains of the last several decades, and still.

So, in particular, I would like Victor Pedals to take the VP-191 and make an extra-wide model, a VP-191-B for "broad", and sell it for the same price or not much more.

That would remove the last item on my bike, short of the Rohloff hub and of course the gear train, that still requires service and/or rebuilding.

VP-191 factory info: http://www.vpcomponents.com/newen/product_detail.php?id=87
SJS used to stock the VP-191 but now I can't find it on the SJS site. Here's another British store with stock: http://www.activesport.co.uk/shop/article_VP191/VP-Components-VP-191-Pedal.html?sessid=mP0jMwlM2iju9xZTZEtyIZ16TSslKGgH9wl91DWnAh4GHrJ8tMJdnyd99Joi427I&shop_param=cid%3D609%26aid%3DVP191%26

Thanks for the opportunity to indulge in systems-thinking, Dan.

Andre Jute

brummie

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:17:14 pm »
S&S couplings.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:09 pm »
Answering my own question...

A 36T Hebie Chainglider, currently unavailable but hopefully soon.

So, after considerable thought about expensive replacements (a new yellow frame for my Kranich!)
Oh, Andre! What would happen to the beautiful coach-lined green one?  :o ???  Hmm. Perhaps a respray by Kranich or...?

S&S couplings.
For travel, Brummie? I pondered these at length and concluded my own use probably wouldn't justify the extra cost, plus there is the maintenance issue (supposed to check every day). One of those things I wouldn't use often...but would be ever so grateful for when I did need them. At the other end of the use scale, a friend recently got some installed and uses them to break down the bike for secure closet storage in a cramped apartment. The couplings have proven essential for his needs and he uses them twice every ride -- several times weekly.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:52:43 pm by Danneaux »

Pavel

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:23 pm »
Legs.  My bike goes too slow with the ones I've got!

brummie

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:44:23 pm »

For travel, Brummie? I pondered these at length and concluded my own use probably wouldn't justify the extra cost, plus there is the maintenance issue (supposed to check every day). One of those things I wouldn't use often...but would be ever so grateful for when I did need them. At the other end of the use scale, a friend recently got some installed and uses them to break down the bike for secure closet storage in a cramped apartment. The couplings have proven essential for his needs and he uses them twice every ride -- several times weekly.

I like the fact that couplings give the option (should I need) to squeeze the bike into a car or train more easily...  There are plenty of potential upgrades I'd like to try without knowing if they're any good, such as:http://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/detail/Ergon/Road_Seatposts/2708/ - Maybe we should start a thread of "Bike stuff we'd like to try" ??

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:49:19 pm »
Maybe we should start a thread of "Bike stuff we'd like to try" ??
Done, all thanks to your excellent suggestion, Brummie. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6357.0

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks you had a great idea for a fun topic)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 10:53:20 am »
Well You Asked,
So Here it is  ::) it's a Jeff Jones Ti 29"er

I like the Clean Lines and KISS of this Bike  ;D

Pete
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 10:55:45 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Gary (a.k.a. cake)

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:00:53 pm »
I was considering, only the other day, whether or not to change the Andra Rigida 30 rims on my RT for DT Swiss XR425s. 

I did intend to go touring on it when i bought it, but i have a wife now (and a daughter) - so that particular dream went for a burton.  Hence the Rigida rims.

So now i ride country lanes and audax (not for 18 months or so - i have a wife and......) rides.  I was quite impressed by the difference swapping Marathon plus tyres for Marathon Racer folders made and to further enhance this, lighter rims are obviously next step.

But after 21000 miles the rear wheel is still as straight as it was on day one and still has plenty of meat on the braking surface.  The front rim is on a dynohub and has done less miles and so despite being the main source of braking, has also thousands of miles of use left in it.

So - I don't NEED to change them.  But i would quite LIKE to change them.  What a dilemma (a minor one i admit)!

Gary.

brummie

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
Well You Asked,
So Here it is  ::) it's a Jeff Jones Ti 29"er

I like the Clean Lines and KISS of this Bike  ;D

Pete
 ;)

Me too ! - I've been lucky enough to have a brief spin on one of these.  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 08:04:30 pm »
Oh, that's a gorgeous thing! And...they throw in a set of the Jones H-bars as well!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:13:57 pm »
This is really going to be heresy, but... frame. I really like to try a titanium audax frame like the Sabbath September or the Spa Cycles audax. That's not to say I'm unhappy with the one I have, but if someone were going to pay for it  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 07:26:12 pm »
I'm unhappy with the one I have, but if someone were going to pay for it...
That's what this thread is for...dreaming is free!

Best,

Dan. (...who is full of dreams and a few other things as well)

honesty

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:28:41 pm »
Also, I'd like to try a Chris king headset. Silly price means I'd be interested to see how it stacks up against cheaper models.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:13 am »
Also, I'd like to try a Chris king headset. Silly price means I'd be interested to see how it stacks up against cheaper models.

Hi Honesty,
Chris King makes some nice parts (and Tools which I have).

There Headset look good, are very nice in the way they are made, have very good bearings, are made in the USA.
BUT intill last year there was one part that was designed very poorly  ??? Why Because there was a patent on it's design that Cane Creek owned, and CK would Not Pay for it  :(

The New GripLock™ bearing cap has at last fixed this....

You can find out more about this update if you go to Google
I have run with four CK Headsets so far (still running one which will be my last)
I have changed to running with the best Headset made (in my eye's) (and it cost's more too)
I like Cane Creek 110 headsets how

Chris King Hubs are Great, Light, Cost loads, (have had three of them) only one down side and that is you need to have there service tools to fix/service them  ::)

At the end of the day a good old Headset will last you years and just need servicing from time to time..

Pete
 8)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ