Author Topic: Shimano, Campagnolo or ?  (Read 33538 times)

Billy

Shimano, Campagnolo or ?
« on: November 07, 2003, 08:42:30 am »
MY new frame is coming. It's been a while since I equipped a new bike.So should I go for Campagnolo or Shimano? Or be different and go for T.A. and hub gears? No racing just lightly loaded rides.

SPINNERS

Re: Shimano, Campagnolo or ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 05:08:25 pm »
What frame are you having then?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 07:06:00 pm »
Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano!

Campag? er no thanks, I would rather have Sora on my bike than Campagnolo Record 10 speed!

Shimano stuff has parts avalibility, is very proven kit, and I have only ever seen a few genuine warranty problems.

Campag stuff has no parts avalibility, is very proven kit if you change it after every race, and I have seen piles of genuine warranty problems.

James

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 12:13:32 pm »
There are more pro riders using Campag than Shimano.

asterix

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 07:35:47 pm »
I've read a lot of Campag vs Shimano threads but I still can't make up my mind on the basis of what I have read. The advantage of one over the other seems to be marginal.

I am in the process of buying a new bike and although my other bikes have had Shimano and other parts, this time I am going to try Campag, if only to find out for myself.  I won't be surprised if there isn't a lot of difference though.

James

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 09:15:14 am »
It will be interesting to hear your comments when you have tested your new bike so I will be looking for them in the future.

RunningWoman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 04:06:03 pm »
I've got Campy Record gruppa on my carbon road bike, and it's marvelously smooth--just amazing.  Much different from the Shimano Ultegra I had on my old Trek 5200.

That being said, I suspect the Shimano is less twitchy (and perhaps more dependable) when one doesn't have a mechanic standing by!

Kim

Con

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2003, 04:55:36 pm »
Whats this about spares being available for Shimano - jockey pulleys maybe but nothing else I think!

Nick Payne

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003, 06:59:46 am »
Try the levers (STI vs Ergo) and see which you prefer and find more comfortable. Everything else is a washup.

Personally, for a bike using bigger than racing size tyres I like using Shimano brakes with Campagnolo levers, as that gives me quick releases on both brake and lever, which means I can remove a wheel without having to deflate the tyre (eg a 700x28 Gatorskin on an Open Pro rim won't fit past the brake blocks unless I release the QR on both the Ergo levers and the long reach Ultegra calipers.

James

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 11:19:58 am »
quote:
Originally posted by asterix

I've read a lot of Campag vs Shimano threads but I still can't make up my mind on the basis of what I have read. The advantage of one over the other seems to be marginal.

I am in the process of buying a new bike and although my other bikes have had Shimano and other parts, this time I am going to try Campag, if only to find out for myself.  I won't be surprised if there isn't a lot of difference though.

Have you bought the new bike and if so what's the verdict on the gearing?

asterix

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 06:14:15 pm »

Yes, I have the new bike. It has a Racing Triple chainset, Centaur derailleurs and Veloce ergo levers.  

Due to lack of time and a reluctance to take it out in cr*p weather, I have been on one ride so far of only 30 miles.  However, so far I am very pleased indeed with the campag changes and definitely prefer the ergo levers to the 105 STIs.  However, I need to do a lot more miles to do a fair comparison generally.

Si Davies

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 07:36:08 pm »
>>However, I need to do a lot more miles to do a fair comparison generally.

Well that's the advantage of campag - you can actually do a lot more miles with it, unlike use-it-once-and-chuck-it shimano [;)]

James

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2004, 04:10:32 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Si Davies

>>However, I need to do a lot more miles to do a fair comparison generally.

Well that's the advantage of campag - you can actually do a lot more miles with it, unlike use-it-once-and-chuck-it shimano [;)]

Is that an exaggeration[?]

grant620

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 01:20:44 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Danger Mouse

Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano! Shimano!

Campag? er no thanks, I would rather have Sora on my bike than Campagnolo Record 10 speed!

Shimano stuff has parts avalibility, is very proven kit, and I have only ever seen a few genuine warranty problems.

Campag stuff has no parts avalibility, is very proven kit if you change it after every race, and I have seen piles of genuine warranty problems.

LOL!
Agreed mate.
Shimano is where it's at.
If people want to be "different" fair enough - buy a frame with a custom colour...
If you were buying a car, would you buy one that has a pushrod engine running on steam? NO! you would get a reliable 16v injection or Diesel unit, so why question the groupset of a bike?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 12:19:33 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Con

Whats this about spares being available for Shimano - jockey pulleys maybe but nothing else I think!

Try me then, spares for Shimano are avalible for 6 years after the item is last made!!