Author Topic: Hubert. A couple of tips.  (Read 7241 times)

Matt2matt2002

Hubert. A couple of tips.
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:07:04 am »
Quite happy with my Hubert bars with the new foam fitted.

However I now realise that I am not using the tips /ends.
Flat part Ok
Upwards parts OK
But the curved tips are never used.
I have a small mirror on the curve of the bar but above that nothing.

Shame to have those tips sitting there doing nothing.
Anyone any ideas?
Since they are at an angle clipping a speedo or holder would not look right.

Matt - behind bars again.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

Re: Hubert. A couple of tips.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:57 am »
My memory says that there are three shapes of bar end available to fit your bars.
Maybe look for the shortest ones which will remove the dreaded unused overhang.
Julian.

il padrone

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 10:36:54 am »
Humpert bars ??

Which type do you have - the folding ones, the rigid trekking style, the X-ACT Boomerang, or the Diamante City bars?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
Not the folding type - although I did have my eye on them.
The bike came with the ones shown in the picture

Nor sure of their name
Maybe you can identify?

Seams a shame to have them sitting there doing nothing.

:-\

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 11:40:42 am »
A bit like my old bar-ends but they sweep in further. I would use those forward tips for two things:

1. A deep forward reach for steep hill-climbing when spinning,
2. A pseudo-aero position for fast descents - arms forwards, bum back, body lowww.

They could also be rotated upwards for a high, relaxed sightseeing position. You're correct in saying they probably won't get too much use. A reason why I just have the Thorn flat-track bars with Ergon GP5 grips & bar-ends.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:42:28 am by il padrone »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »
thanks
I had thought of rotating them up a wee bit but then i would not be comfortable with the side grips - to vertical
 :'(
Think I'll keep 'em on for awhile
I have a pair of flats I can move onto if required

thanks for your tips

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »
A friend of mine who is running these 'bars found they interfered with mounting his Ortlieb HB bag*, so...he cut off the offending ends (!). Very pleased with the results, as he never used the "return curve" on his 'bars and so didn't miss them.

Best,

Dan.

*Not a Thorn, using a quill stem on a small frame, and no possibility of mounting the bag to a T-bar, so his options were limited.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »
Interesting way, Matt, of having trekking bars at a height for a sporting back-angle and yet have your accessory-bar instruments and switches actually visible. -- Andre Jute

John Saxby

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 08:32:49 pm »
Interesting set-up, Matt.  I spoke with some German cyclists this past Sept., on my Amsterdam-Vienna ride, and they all used these bars.  I asked how they handled headwinds, and the preferred option was to lay their forearms across the lower bar, just inboard of the curve, grabbing the forward/upper bar with their hands. (i.e., a variant of the triathlon riders' V-shaped resting posture, without the elbow rests.)  In our conversations, it wasn't clear to me whether they used the final, innermost curve -- I reckon you could cut those off, and still get the benefit of their lowered position, and mount a handlebar bag if you wanted to.

Cheers,  J.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:14:21 pm »
A friend of mine who is running these 'bars found they interfered with mounting his Ortlieb HB bag*, so...he cut off the offending ends (!). Very pleased with the results, as he never used the "return curve" on his 'bars and so didn't miss them.

Best,

Dan.

*Not a Thorn, using a quill stem on a small frame, and no possibility of mounting the bag to a T-bar, so his options were limited.

Yikes! I am just about to transfer my Ortlieb bag and fittings across from my old Dawes Sardar to the Old Bird.
Hope it fits. Will let you know how things progress, or not.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:32 pm »
Don't forget, Matt, you could always move the Thorn Accessory T-bar to a position below the handlebars. That should solve most bag/handlebar fitment problems, depending on frame size and clearance over the front mudguard/headlight (if you have one).

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
Interesting set-up, Matt.  I spoke with some German cyclists this past Sept., on my Amsterdam-Vienna ride, and they all used these bars.  I asked how they handled headwinds, and the preferred option was to lay their forearms across the lower bar, just inboard of the curve, grabbing the forward/upper bar with their hands. (i.e., a variant of the triathlon riders' V-shaped resting posture, without the elbow rests.)  In our conversations, it wasn't clear to me whether they used the final, innermost curve -- I reckon you could cut those off, and still get the benefit of their lowered position, and mount a handlebar bag if you wanted to.

Cheers,  J.

Thanks John. Interesting idea. Trust our German friends to be so inventive.
I will,give it a shot next time I am out for a spin around the sunny lanes of South West Scotlandshire.
(August?)  ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:24:28 pm »
Don't forget, Matt, you could always move the Thorn Accessory T-bar to a position below the handlebars. That should solve most bag/handlebar fitment problems, depending on frame size and clearance over the front mudguard/headlight (if you have one).

Best,

Dan.

Thanks Dan. I will keep that option in mind but will have to come back to you for instructions on that adjustment.
Will it involve 5 hours in my shed with a few bottles of beer and my complete too kit?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »
Sure, Matt; give a shout if you run into trubble.

Fitting the Ortlieb HB bag is easy if you first take the shortcut of aligning the bag at the same angle as the head tube. That way, when it carries a load, it will hang level. Really pretty simple to do...just one cable that weaves its way 'round the 'bars and stem or T-bar, then tighten it up and lock it in place with an allen-head bolt. Simples!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks you'll have it "in the bag" when fitting the Ortlieb mount)