Author Topic: Stem Length  (Read 2796 times)

ianshearin

Stem Length
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:00 am »
Yo,
I now find myself being a Tweaker......

I still have it in my head that the handlebars are a tiny bit too close to me, even though my arms are correctly deployed being straight on the brake hoods and slightly bent on the top.

I think that a longer stem might help but have no idea if that is an option, I have looked at the stems on the SJS website and cant seem to see any that are longer.

Mine is a 1 1/8 ahead stem - 120mm

Are there longer stems available and is it possible to fit one without compromising any issues ?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Andybg

Re: Stem Length
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:53:18 am »
Hi Ian

Yes there are longer stems - 130,140 150 etc so it is certainly an option. Changing the stem length will certainly move everything forward but it will effect the feel and the steering of the bike. Wether or not it is a negative effect is something you will only find from trying it out.

A lot of getting a bike right is getting it right for you. What one person may say is wrong may feel perfect for you.

Just search ebay for 140 stem etc to find some examples

Andy

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:22:52 pm »
A writer is a sort of manual laborer; he operates a keyboard. I hate vibrations in my hands, and the slightest wrong angle irritates me, so that both the length and angle of the stem has to be just so.

You probably don't want the weight, but I found various bought and borrowed adjustable stems so useful in minutely setting up a bike that eventually I made an adjustable stem a permanent fitting on all my bikes. Having found the perfect setting, of course you can never find precisely the right fixed stem, so you just ride on with the adjustable stem...

ianshearin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »
Thanks guys, I think I will try a longer stem, there are some cheap ones about, maybe some even cheaper on ebay as you  say Andy.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:55:36 pm »
When it comes to trial and error the cheaper the better. Once you find what works for you then worth buying better

Andy

jags

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
did you try shifting the saddle back  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:09:28 pm »
Hi Ian!

Some excellent suggestions by others your way already, but there's a couple more options to keep in mind as well:

• Not all drop handlebars are the same, especially in terms of reach on the "ramps"...the portion between the tops and where the brakes mount. I've found 'bars can vary as much as 2.5cm between the extremes in this measurement. Of course, they also can vary in the amount of drop and the angle between the tops and bottoms. All these can make a difference quite apart from adjusting stem length, but have the same effect.

• It is also possible to adjust effective reach through adjustments in brake lever placement. It isn't too hard to gain or lose about 1.0-1.5cm this way as well (and this is a cost-free option).

You'll get Rhett all dialed-in, Ian; likely just a matter of finding the right combination for your needs. A bike as nice-looking as Rhett can only get more handsome with personalization!

Best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 07:10:49 pm »
Ye, first thing I did Jags, its at the max  ;)
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »
Thanks Dan, some more options there to think about  :)
'shing xiong'