Author Topic: Visit to Carradice  (Read 4675 times)

ianshearin

Visit to Carradice
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:19 am »
I have just received the following mail from Carradice, they are about 50miles from me so I am looking at a trip next Week.

Hello Ian,

Yes by all means come along to the factory and you can browse through our "seconds" shelves or we will show you anything else you want to look at.  We are open Monday - Friday between 9.30 and 4.30.  I have attached directions as we are difficult to find once you get down St. Mary's Street.

Best regards

Margaret
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

Re: Visit to Carradice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:48 am »
huh my email from them was a bit different .
WE dont sell seconds :-[

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:36:39 am »
Hi Jags

My experience was that seconds was something they only sell face to face so you can see the faults and decide if you are happy with them. I think a few people off ebay make some money buying the seconds and selling them on.

I am sure you will have a great time Ian.

It feels like somewhere out of the 60's that I dont think has changed much since

Andy

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:57:34 am »
yeah can't blame them but there bags are really smart old school but classy.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:36 pm »
The trip to Carradice must be getting close Ian?

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:58:37 pm »
Hi All,

Well today I drove up to the Carradice factory to see if I could bag some stuff.... (pun intended)
I phoned first and spoke to a lady who said just turn up no problem.

Took me a little while to find the place, neatly tucked into a side street behind some buildings but find it I did.

I tried a few doors until I found one open and then climbed some stairs that looked like they might lead to a office, at the top of the stairs and through a door was the work area and a long office looking out onto the workers.
In total at any one time there are 20 staff at Carradice, the admin staff and a few guys wandering around were brits but from the conversations I could hear the rest looked like migrant workers from Easten Europe.
Seems I was topic of conversation for a while amongst the workers who watched me intently, Im assuming it was my good looks and film star presence, although some would say they don't get many visitors and I was a distraction.......
The lady I talked to on the phone came out of the office and showed me a rack with a load of seconds on it, she ushered me to rummage around and stayed to help me pick out a set of rear panniers.
I noted to her that the rack seemd mostly made up of Carradry items of which she said 'Yes' and then whispered to me that they were made in China, the factory only make the cotton duck products, everything else is outsourced......
I took an interest in a set of panniers and she prompty gave them a good pulling and twisting and said that one of them was missing a bracket, she took it to one of the workers who then replaced the bracket.
I said I would take them and a saddle bag I was pulling apart.
She asked for £50 for the 3 items which I paid.

All in all not a bad experience but in hindsight I think £50 was probably a lot to pay for seconds, albeit they are as new thanks to her quality testing and maintenance there and then.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

ianshearin

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:32 pm »
Coudnt fit the next photo in the previous post.....

Dont pay too much attention to the mess of straps and cables, im still in the testing stage, once Im happy with everything then I will tidy it all up.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
very nice ian lovely bags carradice will you be using front panniers as well.
btw what is that on the bars big big looking for a satnav. :o

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:25 pm »
Wonderful review, Ian, and -- bless you! -- photos!  ;D

Loved reading every bit of it.

The bike looks wonderful, and I can easily see it under you as you approach liftoff for your Big Tour.

All best wishes your way,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:13:59 pm »
Thanks Dan,

It's this Jags, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004UR57PM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think front panniers might be needed, will make a decision later in year after more experience on some long trips
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 10:09:14 pm »
thanks ian very nifty think very very carefully on your packing list the lighter the better but dont sacrafice on comfort i'm still working on the lightest for rear panniers and barbag not easy mind you but it can be done.
btw the bike looks class.. ;)

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:11 pm »
In a word Jags Comfort is King!
I will be travelling in comfort.....
I already have made a little bubble wrap case to carry my nice heavy lead crystal wine glass ...
I will of course compromise on the candleabras...maybe...
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 07:16:46 pm »
Your not taking a wine glass  ::) although why not i can relate to that Ian stretch out at campsite after a hard day in the saddle and a nice glass of wine to wind down the day CLASS.