Author Topic: Speedhub oil problem  (Read 5727 times)

il padrone

Re: Speedhub oil problem
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 10:01:08 am »
Why did you get them from the U.K?
Your have a Good Rohloff dealer in O.Z.?

There is really only one dealer in Melbourne. I live in the suburbs and don't go into the CBD for work, so a trip in to get gear takes time out of my weekend. I have got into the nasty habit of buying lots of bike gear (and camera gear, camping gear.... even clothing) from overseas on-line stores. The prices have proven to be very advantageous.

It began back in about 2003 when I was upgrading my touring racks to Tubus. The local distributors couldn't give me a reply and their prices were about $209 for the Cargo. I bought one from Germany for $120. It was emphasised in 2010 with the Rohloff hub for $1,120 instead of the local $2,000. Anyway SJS Cycles just has such a great range of touring gear and all sorts of bits that they (and bike24) have become my 'go to' source.

Better than explaining for the Nth (+1) time to some teenage-muppet shop-attendant why you don't like or need Dura-ace 10-speed  ::)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:25:56 am by il padrone »

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:46 am »
There is really only one dealer in Melbourne. I live in the suburbs and don't go into the CBD for work, so a trip in to get gear takes time out of my weekend. I have got into the nasty habit of buying lots of bike gear (and camera gear, camping gear.... even clothing) from overseas on-line stores. The prices have proven to be very advantageous.

It began back in about 2003 when I was upgrading my touring racks to Tubus. The local distributors couldn't give me a reply and their prices were about $209 for the Cargo. I bought one from Germany for $120. It was emphasised in 2010 with the Rohloff hub for $1,120 instead of the local $2,000. Anyway SJS Cycles just has such a great range of touring gear and all sorts of bits that they (and bike24) have become my 'go to' source.

Better than explaining for the Nth (+1) time to some teenage-muppet shop-attendant why you don't like or need Dura-ace 10-speed  ::)

All OK,
Rohloff's start at $1250nz and go up in New Zealand  :)
A lot of Bike shop's in New Zealand till people a Rohloff costs $2000 to $3000  :-[
This is why second hand Hub's sale for more then a New One  ;D (I sold off my old Nutted Rohloff for loads)

Better than explaining for the Nth (+1) time to some teenage-muppet shop-attendant why you don't like or need Dura-ace 10-speed
Hay I have started working part time in My LBS so be careful who your talking too  :P

I buy from overseas too! Because the wholesalers will not order in a part unless your/I order x100  :o

Pete . . .
 :-*

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:33:11 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

steve4736

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
Update- I have had this (very fast) reply from Rohloff-

"The black particles can sometimes be seen, other times are hidden. This depends on various factors but most commonly this is either because the clearer oil is slightly better mixed (bottles should always be well shaken before use) or because the one bottle has had slightly more exposure to direct sunlight. Either way, our oil manufacturer has informed us that the oils retain their qualities and guarantees their safe use for 5 years (after which we don't have any test results unfortunately)."

So I guess I have nothing to worry about!

rualexander

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:22:13 pm »
All OK,
Rohloff's start at $1250nz and go up in New Zealand  :)
A lot of Bike shop's in New Zealand till people a Rohloff costs $2000 to $3000  :-[
This is why second hand Hub's sale for more then a New One  ;D (I sold off my old Nutted Rohloff for loads)

Better than explaining for the Nth (+1) time to some teenage-muppet shop-attendant why you don't like or need Dura-ace 10-speed
Hay I have started working part time in My LBS so be careful who your talking too  :P

I buy from overseas too! Because the wholesalers will not order in a part unless your/I order x100  :o

Pete . . .
 :-*

NZ$1250 for a Rohloff hub seems remarkably good value even allowing for the current strength of the NZ dollar? That's around £600 in our money.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 12:58:44 am »
the oils retain their qualities and guarantees their safe use for 5 years

Ha! I bought those liter bottles, a lifetime supply of each oil. If they go bad in five years, my grand plan will sure have backfired! Assuming I survive that long myself! But I expect the oil will outlive that conservative guarantee and the actuarial tables give me good odds too!

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 03:31:39 am »
NZ$1250 for a Rohloff hub seems remarkably good value even allowing for the current strength of the NZ dollar? That's around £600 in our money.

Yes, seems pretty good but it'd depend on the model bought. I bought a Rohloff with EX box and OEM plate, in black, from bike24 that cost me $A1120 delivered; then 18 months later an internal-changer hub with long torque arm, in silver, from bike24 also for $A1120. Black anodised and the EX box all costs more. Mine were non-disc; the disc-brake version costs more as well.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:27 am »
So I guess I have nothing to worry about!
Wonderful news, Steve! Thanks so much for relaying the word to the rest of us.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:47:25 am »
Ha! I bought those liter bottles, a lifetime supply of each oil. If they go bad in five years, my grand plan will sure have backfired! Assuming I survive that long myself! But I expect the oil will outlive that conservative guarantee and the actuarial tables give me good odds too!

May you live forever, Jim. (Actually, I think that's a Chinese curse! Sorry!)

About the oil, the makers just don't have data beyond five years. But oil has been in the ground for millennia, and the refining process just takes out some muck. It's the chemical additives, the ones that change in light, that may cause a little concern. My own opinion is that the base oil is probably good for anyone's lifetime, and the service is so light, and the change interval so short, that it will make zero difference. Anyway, your bulk purchases are in lightproof metal cans, aren't they? The problem doesn't apply to you, only to oil in plastic or glass bottles.

Andre Jute

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »
Anyway, your bulk purchases are in lightproof metal cans, aren't they?

Yes, those big liter flasks are metal. They arrived quite dented, I suspect through the shipping. The head tube of my bike was entirely out of the box! Quite a few big holes in the box, but everything seemed to be there. I really should have photographed that box as it arrived. But of course I could hardly wait to get the bike out! Anyway, despite the dents, those oil flasks still work fine.