Author Topic: Speedhub oil problem  (Read 5726 times)

steve4736

Speedhub oil problem
« on: March 02, 2013, 10:18:21 am »

I have recently purchased two 250ml containers of speedhub oil from H and S Bike Discount in Germany in two different batches. When comparing the two sealed bottles, the colour of the oil is very different. One is a clear yellow, the other is a much darker murky greenish colour with what looks like streaks of black adhering to the inside of the bottle. This stuff is expensive and I'm really surprised this has passed quality control. Has anybody else had a similar experience? I will obviously contact the vendor unless someone has a good explanation as to why  I shouldn't be concerned.

wheezy

Re: Speedhub oil problem
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:30:28 am »
Someone will be along soon to explain why, but the oil will be fine. Sometimes it's black, sometimes clear. They muck about with the recipe.

jimmer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:00:04 pm »
Dear Steve,

Your description suggests that you have one bottle of the lighter cleaning oil and one of the darker lubricating oil.

From memory the labels on each differ, yellow for cleaning and blue for lube.

Yours, James

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:14:01 pm »
I have heard, too, that the oil formulation changes over time. That could explain such a difference. But for sure, first you want to distinguish the cleaning oil from the lubricating oil!

jimmer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:33:05 pm »
Just back and looked in the shed. Correction needed. Blue label for cleaning oil and green for lube. So not at all as I remembered.

James

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »
...and, if you decide to use it, be sure to shake the bottles first, regardless of formulation. Best to mix it before injecting it.

Best,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:36 pm »
...and, if you decide to use it, be sure to shake the bottles first, regardless of formulation. Best to mix it before injecting it.

Best,

Dan.

Not the two oils, as one sounds like cleaning fluid.  Rolholff suggest a 50:50 mix for very cold operation but otherwise just the dark oil.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:23:23 pm »
Not the two oils...
Oh, yes, thanks for the correction; sloppy writing on my part, as they would not normally be mixed together.

I was thinking (and my fingers meant to type, but didn't): "If it shows signs of having separated, the contents of the bottle needs to be shaken before injecting it".

There. Much better. Thanks for catching this, geo'.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:01:20 pm by Danneaux »

steve4736

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I can confirm that I have not confused the cleaning oil with the lubricating oil (I also have two bottles of cleaning oil) so am still not sure whether I have a problem or not- the two lubricating oils I have are markedly different in colour, opacity and consistency (one having what looks like smears of black on the inside of the bottle. If anybody could reasure me I would be very happy!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
Steve,

I would suggest dropping an email direct to Rohloff, perhaps with a couple digital photos attached to see what they have to say. They may identify it as from an earlier batch than the others, or perhaps something has happened in storage, though I can't imagine what would account for such a change. It surely doesn't sound "right" and you're wise to check before using it.

Best,

Dan.

steve4736

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 08:47:48 pm »
Thanks Dan,

Good advice. I have emailed Rohloff with batch numbers etc so will see what they say

Cheers,

Steve                                                                           

wheezy

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 10:20:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I can confirm that I have not confused the cleaning oil with the lubricating oil (I also have two bottles of cleaning oil) so am still not sure whether I have a problem or not- the two lubricating oils I have are markedly different in colour, opacity and consistency (one having what looks like smears of black on the inside of the bottle. If anybody could reasure me I would be very happy!

The black stuff is Molybdenum disulfide. I asked Rohloff about it and they said (and I appear to be repeating myself) it varies. Can I also point out that I didn't doubt your ability to read a label.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:17 pm »
Hi All,
Back (over 8 years ago) in time Rohloff oil was very very Black (Molybdenum disulfide) and over the years the oil has got lighter in colour! only a little black in the bottle, and Dan is right it needs a good Shake up (warm it in a sunny window helps)

Pete . . . . . . . .  
 8)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:26:38 pm by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 08:50:59 am »
Hi

Just have had a look at my two oil-change kits bought a couple of months back from SJS (and then shipped to Australia). In each case they contain:

* One blue label bottle of cleaning oil - pale blue liquid
* One green label bottle of Speedhub Oil - pale yellow with black settled material (molybdenum disulfide I take it)

Both bottles of Speedhub Oil have this black sludge and it is mobile so I assume will mix well with a good shake.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 09:28:38 am »
Hi

Just have had a look at my two oil-change kits bought a couple of months back from SJS (and then shipped to Australia). In each case they contain:

* One blue label bottle of cleaning oil - pale blue liquid
* One green label bottle of Speedhub Oil - pale yellow with black settled material (molybdenum disulfide I take it)

Both bottles of Speedhub Oil have this black sludge and it is mobile so I assume will mix well with a good shake.

Why did you get them from the U.K?
Your have a Good Rohloff dealer in O.Z.?

Pete . .
 ???

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ